Offensive Failures Plague Hawkeyes

Boy Jon, you've had both barrels blazing since you moved to Tulsa. Proud of ya. Can we assume you're on the "fire Ferentz" wagon?

The things that have defined football under Ferentz are good defenses and poor offenses. The defense has always carried our program. His approach is very conservative and boring.

Indiana and NW have fielded excellent offenses that score in bunches.However their defenses have been abysmal and cost them games. Which do you prefer? Exciting high scoring offenses but come up short because the defense sucks. Or Kfs conservative punting is winning hope the dee holds on approach which often results in close losses?

I would prefer one in the middle like Wisconsin.
I don't think Wisconsin and Iowa are too far apart philosophically. Wisconsin just does it a hell of a lot better in recent years. Bigger, better O-lines blocking for better running backs. Sad to think that both White and Gordon were almost Hawks.

Crap, wrong thread!

As for the offense, it's nothing that: catching a few more passes, and making a few more better passes, and putting Weisman back to FB where he belongs, and adding a jet sweep for Canzeri, and throwing more screens and swing passes with an occasional wheel-route, won't fix.

On the other hand, doing all of that now may not be easy.

Last edited:
Thank you Jon, for having the guts to write what most in the media won't.

The problems with Ferentz are SO glaringly obvious... how can we keep this guy as Head Coach any longer.

Boy Jon, you've had both barrels blazing since you moved to Tulsa. Proud of ya. Can we assume you're on the "fire Ferentz" wagon?

Not at this time. He'll get next year and I think deserves it. Problem is 8 wins next year like 6 this year as sched so weak

Since 2003......

IOWA TOTAL OFFENSE
VERSUS BIG TEN
Includes Nebraksa
YEAR
RANK / ppg
5 / 28.0
7 / 24/6
7 / 30.5
8 / 23.8
12 / 18.5
3 / 30.3
11 / 23.1
7 / 29.1
6 / 28.7
11 / 19.3

history has shown either an indifference to having a winning offense or high tollerence for mediocrity on offense.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it also show that Iowa has competed for conference championships with those kinds of offenses.

there i said it. wonder if anyone else will say it.

Last edited:
WTF do the songs have to do with the offense??? Are you posting in the wrong thread?

LOL, you know what? I think I am. Damn computers, must've clicked on something wrong after signing in. Hells bells, now I'll have to move that to the other thread.

Now about the offense: with Weisman being dinged-up all the time, it's time to move him back to FB and get him carries from there, with Bullock/Canzeri/Daniels as the HB. And I wish we would throw more to the RBs, especially Canzeri, since he seems quick enough to make the first man or two miss, and might break a big gainer on a screen or swing pass.

This is also the kind of thing that could've been done on that 4th and 1 we missed--a short pass to a TE or the FB instead of yet another Weisman run into a 9 man front.

We don't 'mix it up' enough, so by the time the second half comes around, the opposition is onto us, and what worked in the first half doesn't work in the second. But still, with this team, execution remains a problem--nothing will work if receivers drop balls, or the QB doesn't put them where they can be caught.

Now, about the songs.......

1st down efficiency is so vital to this offense. When the hawks start clicking we see a lot of variety. However when they get behind the count, bad things almost always happen to this offense.

And they need to refrain from penalties in the redzone.

These 2 things can make a huge swing in how this offense looks.

about 5 times at OSU, 2 times MSU, 2 or 3 X vs jNW, not sure about yesterday.

not enough obviously.

Nice write up Jon...until this program gets game changers at the RB position we will continue to slide. Canzeri showed us that a back with true break away speed is a must. There simply is double, triple and home runs holes being opened up and Weisman hits a single. SPEED KILLS....RECRUIT IT...or let someone else have a shot at it. The one guy I think would fit Iowa to a T is Scott Frost the O coordinator at Oregon. You can bet he is #1 on a short list for little bo peeps job.

you'd think if the staff is so in love with that outside zone, that they'd put in a RB who can do it. Bullock is fast enough, but doesn't seem to have the vision for the cutback. Daniels probably didn't run that in HS, so it might take a bit for him to "get" it. Canzeri can do it, as well as catch some balls out of the backfield. i'm not calling for Canzeri to get a ton of touches, but to just not use him at all until this last game has been ridiculous.

In summation; LOSING SUCkS!!!!!!!!! Go Fran and give us something to cheer about this winter.

I don't think Wisconsin and Iowa are too far apart philosophically. Wisconsin just does it a hell of a lot better in recent years. Bigger, better O-lines blocking for better running backs. Sad to think that both White and Gordon were almost Hawks.

Wisconsin doesn't believe in the myth of a balanced mix either. They're typically 65% run and we are usually 50/50. Wisconsin is almost always towards the top in the Big Ten in scoring and we are often towards the bottom. I have felt for a while we could imitate what Wisconsin does and have success because it fits with KFs conservative nature.

Last edited:
Our "play makers" are just as good, if not better, than the year we won the Cap 1 Bowl. Ramon Ochoa was our go to receiver on a 10 win team. Our issues are two-fold: QB play and repetitive play calling. The Wisconsin fans that sat by us were calling out our plays before the snap. It's freaking mind boggling how this coaching staff continues to call the stretch play with Weismann at RB. If Ferentz were coaching in the SEC, he would have been fired last year.

Our "play makers" are just as good, if not better, than the year we won the Cap 1 Bowl. Ramon Ochoa was our go to receiver on a 10 win team. Our issues are two-fold: QB play and repetitive play calling. The Wisconsin fans that sat by us were calling out our plays before the snap. It's freaking mind boggling how this coaching staff continues to call the stretch play with Weismann at RB. If Ferentz were coaching in the SEC, he would have been fired last year.

Ochoa returned punts and sometimes played receiver. Solomon and Hinkle were the "go to" guys. Holloway played about as much as the Razor.

Since 2003......

IOWA TOTAL OFFENSE
VERSUS BIG TEN
Includes Nebraksa
YEARRANK / ppg
2003 5 / 28.0
20047 / 24/6
20057 / 30.5
20068 / 23.8
200712 / 18.5
20083 / 30.3
200911 / 23.1
20107 / 29.1
20116 / 28.7
201211 / 19.3

We were 1st and 1st in scoring in 2001 and 2002 (in the Big Ten). Along with 3rd in 2008, that's 3 good years, and the rest mediocre/poor.

Outside of the outlier in '09. This tells me we simply need to be in the 5-7 rank and continue to field a solid def to have good to great years.

We almost never will be top 2('85, 01,02 were magical) and very rarely be 3-4, but shouldn't ever be in the bottom 4...which umfortunely speaks to '07, '12, and so far '13. 4-7 would be a satisfactory range mist years.

We have been somewhat front loaded playing the tougher def in the B1G so hopefully we can climb to the 7-9 range range.

Beat Purdue !

Latest posts