Offensive Failures Plague Hawkeyes

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Once again, it was Iowa's offense or lack thereof which was its undoing on a fall Saturday in Big Ten play. This isn't a one or two or three year thing; its been the case for the majority of the Kirk Ferentz era. The offense simply hasn't carried its weight, put the defense in tough positions and in the end, Iowa fell short.

Iowa held Wisconsin to under 370 total yards on the day. The Badgers had 13 'real' possessions and went four or fewer plays and 'out' seven times, or more than half. Iowa's defense held the Badgers to 4 of 15 on third downs.

That was a winning effort by the Iowa defense...which has been the case more often than not during the Kirk Ferentz era. But that offense...oh boy that offense.

Iowa's first four possessions began at the following yard line:

1. Wisconsin 49
2. Wisconsin 39
3. Iowa 44
4. Wisconsin 41

Total points = 6

This was an unconscionable lack of scoring and conversion. There was a mix of 'lack of execution' as Kevonte Martin-Manley dropped two passes...there were other areas where the players didn't take care of business. There was also three straight passing plays on Iowa's first possession, which certainly broke tendency but proved ineffective.

Iowa went 4 of 18 on third downs. Iowa gained less than 300 yards of offense. Iowa kept trying to run outside zone plays with Mark Weisman who is ineffective doing that against Big Ten defenses.

Speaking of Weisman; I have a great deal of respect for his toughness and believe there is a role for him in Iowa's offense. That said, I don't believe he's someone you should give the ball to 15-plus times against Big Ten teams, unless you are just physically overwhelming them. He is strong and I love seeing him truck opponents, but he has physical limitations, the most glaring is his inability to produce on outside zone plays against legitimate defenses. This is a staple of Iowa's offense and Weisman isn't going to get it done laterally; he's a north-south rusher. He needs to run out of Power-O sets or hat on hat blocking or even inside zones. The outside zone? No more of it...it's not working with him and probably won't. This isn't Weisman's fault; the coaches shouldn't be putting him in positions where he has a limited chance for success.

There's a role for Damon Bullock and there should be a role for Jordan Canzeri; get him five carries per game, or at least a series, to see what he can do. He's the only running back on the team with the ability to rip off a long run like the one he did in the second half on Saturday, so give him a few cracks.

In my opinion, LeShun Daniels is the only 'Big Ten' caliber bell-cow back on the team, but he's not going to get there this year. He's green, he's learning and the light probably won't go on until next September.

On the whole, this team just lacks playmakers. I wrote before the year that this season's receiving corps would be the most challenged of the Ferentz era and that is proving to be accurate.

That said, Iowa came out against Ohio State and ran the three tight end sets and looked like a house of fire. Where was that this game? Where has that been the last two weeks? What is this offense trying to do? Who are they? What is their identity?

They don't have one and haven't since beating Michigan State 37-6 in Kinnick Stadium on October 30th, 2010. that's over three years ago.

Since then Iowa has averaged 23.6 points per game over its next 39 games. I don't have the time to run the numbers but I am guessing that might be the worst scoring output over any 39 game stretch of the Ferentz era, unless the first 39 came in under that.

Iowa has scored 87 points in its five Big Ten games this year. One year ago, with the worst offense of my lifetime, Iowa had scored 99 points through five games. Yes, Iowa has played three good defenses this year in Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin, but it played against a great MSU defense one year ago plus a solid Penn State team, in addition to Minnesota and Northwestern, which Iowa has played this year.

While this year's offense 'looks' better and 'feels' better, is it smoke and mirrors? Their third down conversion numbers are much better but the overall point production in Big Ten play just isn't there. They scored nearly 60 against Western Michigan but that included two pick sixes and two punt returns for TD's. Take those numbers out of Iowa's mix this year and their 25.3 average drops to 22.2..which is getting awfully close to last year's 19.3/ppg total.

Do you remember being a kid and pushing food you didn't like around your plate in order to give the impression that you actually ate it? That's what things are starting to feel like. Iowa hasn't scored a regulation touchdown during its last seven quarters of play all of which have come at home.

Iowa just scored 19 combined points in regulation over the last two games, in this era of offensive football...and some thought James Vandenberg was the problem?

These numbers are incredibly poor. Depressingly poor and if the message boards, twitter and post game call in shows are any indication, people are just tiring of it. Look towards the turnstiles at Kinnick Stadium; another non-sellout. Iowa has one home game left, against Michigan, and they probably won't sell it out, either. That will mean zero sellouts this entire season.

On Friday, Brian Ferentz sent out a tweet being critical of Iowa's gameday atmosphere in Kinnick. We all know he isn't referring to the fan support. It's more about the sound system (which will be upgraded next year) and what Iowa experiences on the road yet doesn't do to its opponents in Kinnick Stadium.

Let me submit this, from Brendan Stiles late Saturday night:

"Since 2010, Iowa is 16-11 at Kinnick Stadium. 4 wins are FCS opponents (E. Illinois, Tenn. Tech, UNI, Mo. State) & 2-2 vs. MAC."

That's a yo....then he added Iowa lost a total of nine games at Kinnick between 2002-2009.

'Machinehead' was audible through the TV when Iowa's defense forced a third down...several times. Who thinks that's a great song to get the crowd fired up to bring more noise? A nearly 20 year old song from Bush? Or how about the band knocking out a little 15 second riff of Quiet Riot's 'Mental Health' late in the game, a song that was released in 1983? Iowa plays so much ACDC that they are probably charged for royalties.

Iowa has to be the only team in college football who still plays it's stadium music with an eight-track player. OK, that's not true....at least I don't think it's true. But would you be shocked if it was? I've seen numerous critiques about the aforementioned environment through the years, so I will take your word for it. During the past decade, I haven't made it to many games due to radio obligations and when I have been there I haven't paid to get in. But these concerns are items I've read over and over or heard from callers over and over, so I'm simply repeating those critiques. They must be common enough for Ferentz to comment on them.

Add to it that Iowa put red, white and blue pom-poms on the seats before the game. While they were looking to honor veterans in doing so, Iowa's opponent this week is all about red. How much thought went into this one? Sort of had the feel of a last minute decision because this was 'black out' Saturday and the pom-pom release was late in the week. Did one slip past the goalie here, too?

Too many things related to the Iowa football program seem stale...the offense, the music, the environment. Iowa can change that, first and foremost, by winning, something Kirk Ferentz mentioned after the game.

Since the sledding actually got tough this year, which began against Michigan State, Iowa's offense has regressed into something akin to last year; they've averaged just 18.25 points per game over the last four games.

The silver lining is they are at Purdue next week with a chance to become bowl eligible. Purdue is horrible, but Iowa's offensive inconsistency means they aren't above losing to anyone in this league, even lowly Purdue. Michigan is a train wreck and Nebraska seemed to be heading that way before their miracle finish in Lincoln on Saturday.

As bad as Iowa has been on offense, a 3-0 finish to the year wouldn't really surprise me. 2-1 seems fairly plausible, with wins these next two weeks as the best path.

Iowa desperately needs one more win because they really need those 15 extra practices a bowl would bring.

Greg Davis is nearly two years into his stint as Iowa's offensive coordinator and while this year started out promising, it's limping to the finish line. The food has been spread all over the plate but it's hard to fool people when you can't score. Is it all on the coaches? No, as we've seen quite a bit of 'lack of execution' out there. But after a while, the evidence starts to make that irrelevant...when the same things keep happening over and over and over, the macro overtakes the micro.

Iowa has three games to win one....I hope they win more than that but one more is a must. Next week's game at Purdue is certainly a must-win for Iowa. Lose that one and....I don't even want to think about it.

OK. Let's end on a positive note. There is hope, right? There is always hope, so don't stop believin'.

Wait...that's from 1981, too.

Last edited:
the lack of offense in the Ferentz era is so disappointing - it leaves me with a what could have been feeling.

That being said It's hard for me to blame offensive coordinators anymore.

Nice write up Jon. Earlier in the year we saw stats of the uptempo offense and the increased # of plays being ran. I'd be curious to see the stats now. It seems like last year all over again.

Nice write up Jon. Earlier in the year we saw stats of the uptempo offense and the increased # of plays being ran. I'd be curious to see the stats now. It seems like last year all over again.

yeah that's a good point - as time went off Ferentz just fell into the same habits and that was all gone.

Jon regarding the music selections, I pointed this out several times last year to no avail but iowa is undefeated during the KF era in games that the entire sideline dances to Ni**as in Paris.

Agree on all counts. Three games left and with every game that goes by we run fewer plays. WTH. By the time we get to the last game we'll all be asleep at the end of the first quarter.

Everything does and has seemed stale for awhile now. I would even love to see the uniforms redone. Seriously. Our offense is outdated for college ball and so are our uni's.

Regarding our last three games, "2-1 is plausible. Michigan is a train wreck."

What in the world are we? You have to be able to score to win. And we don't have Michigan State's D.

Agree on all counts. Three games left and with every game that goes by we run fewer plays. WTH. By the time we get to the last game we'll all be asleep at the end of the first quarter.

the unwillingness to run uptempo is Ferentz - I'm not trying to beat you over the head with the idea that's its not Davis but it's always been like this.

And I'm not saying I think Davis is good by any means.

Everything does and has seemed stale for awhile now. I would even love to see the uniforms redone. Seriously. Our offense is outdated for college ball and so are our uni's.

Regarding our last three games, "2-1 is plausible. Michigan is a train wreck."

What in the world are we? You have to be able to score to win. And we don't have Michigan State's D.

Can agree with the uniform thing - Iowa still to this day one of the best uniforms in the nation.

# of Plays...since it was brought up:

WI - 71 plays
NW - 68 plays
OSU - 61 plays
MSU - 62 plays
Minn - 70 plays
WMU - 76 plays
ISU - 83 plays
Miz State - 86 plays
NIU - 80 plays

# of Plays...since it was brought up:

WI - 71 plays
NW - 68 plays
OSU - 61 plays
MSU - 62 plays
Minn - 70 plays
WMU - 76 plays
ISU - 83 plays
Miz State - 86 plays
NIU - 80 plays

So it has gone down in conference play. Today was actually the most plays but a lot of that probably had to do with our D holding the badgers to a lot of short possessions.

We all know we're seeing the death rattle. There is no rebound this time, no 3 seasons of 9 wins. This is it, just a matter of how many seasons we have to watch the slow death.

We all know we're seeing the death rattle. There is no rebound this time, no 3 seasons of 9 wins. This is it, just a matter of how many seasons we have to watch the slow death.

We have been watching the slow death since that smoke n mirrors 2009 season

For the record I commented today at the game how I like them playing machinehead on 3rd down. But I wish they would do away with any and all acdc. Good god. And our band could not get any worse. Just terrible. And our pa announcer is a complete joke. I'll never forget the time he "sang" (actually talked) money for nothing and chicks for free. That was like 10 years ago and it's still embarrassing to think about.

good write-up Jon. May I suggest an adjustment in the subject line.

Offense failures define Hawkeyes... under Ferentz

And to you statistic lovers...there are only two stats that matter offensively.

Points scored & Wins.

good write-up Jon. May I suggest an adjustment in the subject line.

Offense failures define Hawkeyes... under Ferentz

+1000

I would make the title ..... O-Coordinators take the fall for bad offensive lines and personnel mistakes that lead to offensive failures defining the Hawkeyes under Ferentz.

But again that is too long of a title.

Once again, it was Iowa's offense or lack thereof which was its undoing on a fall Saturday in Big Ten play. This isn't a one or two or three year thing; its been the case for the majority of the Kirk Ferentz era. The offense simply hasn't carried its weight, put the defense in tough positions and in the end, Iowa fell short.

Iowa held Wisconsin to under 370 total yards on the day. The Badgers had 13 'real' possessions and went four or fewer plays and 'out' seven times, or more than half. Iowa's defense held the Badgers to 4 of 15 on third downs.

That was a winning effort by the Iowa defense...which has been the case more often than not during the Kirk Ferentz era. But that offense...oh boy that offense.

Iowa's first four possessions began at the following yard line:

1. Wisconsin 49
2. Wisconsin 39
3. Iowa 44
4. Wisconsin 41

Total points = 6

This was an unconscionable lack of scoring and conversion. There was a mix of 'lack of execution' as Kevonte Martin-Manley dropped two passes...there were other areas where the players didn't take care of business. There was also three straight passing plays on Iowa's first possession, which certainly broke tendency but proved ineffective.

Iowa went 4 of 18 on third downs. Iowa gained less than 300 yards of offense. Iowa kept trying to run outside zone plays with Mark Weisman who is ineffective doing that against Big Ten defenses.

Speaking of Weisman; I have a great deal of respect for his toughness and believe there is a role for him in Iowa's offense. That said, I don't believe he's someone you should give the ball to 15-plus times against Big Ten teams, unless you are just physically overwhelming them. He is strong and I love seeing him truck opponents, but he has physical limitations, the most glaring is his inability to produce on outside zone plays against legitimate defenses. This is a staple of Iowa's offense and Weisman isn't going to get it done laterally; he's a north-south rusher. He needs to run out of Power-O sets or hat on hat blocking or even inside zones. The outside zone? No more of it...it's not working with him and probably won't. This isn't Weisman's fault; the coaches shouldn't be putting him in positions where he has a limited chance for success.

There's a role for Damon Bullock and there should be a role for Jordan Canzeri; get him five carries per game, or at least a series, to see what he can do. He's the only running back on the team with the ability to rip off a long run like the one he did in the second half on Saturday, so give him a few cracks.

In my opinion, LeShun Daniels is the only 'Big Ten' caliber bell-cow back on the team, but he's not going to get there this year. He's green, he's learning and the light probably won't go on until next September.

On the whole, this team just lacks playmakers. I wrote before the year that this season's receiving corps would be the most challenged of the Ferentz era and that is proving to be accurate.

That said, Iowa came out against Ohio State and ran the three tight end sets and looked like a house of fire. Where was that this game? Where has that been the last two weeks? What is this offense trying to do? Who are they? What is their identity?

They don't have one and haven't since beating Michigan State 37-6 in Kinnick Stadium on October 30th, 2010. that's over three years ago.

Since then Iowa has averaged 23.6 points per game over its next 39 games. I don't have the time to run the numbers but I am guessing that might be the worst scoring output over any 39 game stretch of the Ferentz era, unless the first 39 came in under that.

Iowa has scored 87 points in its five Big Ten games this year. One year ago, with the worst offense of my lifetime, Iowa had scored 99 points through five games. Yes, Iowa has played three good defenses this year in Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin, but it played against a great MSU defense one year ago plus a solid Penn State team, in addition to Minnesota and Northwestern, which Iowa has played this year.

While this year's offense 'looks' better and 'feels' better, is it smoke and mirrors? Their third down conversion numbers are much better but the overall point production in Big Ten play just isn't there. They scored nearly 60 against Western Michigan but that included two pick sixes and two punt returns for TD's. Take those numbers out of Iowa's mix this year and their 25.3 average drops to 22.2..which is getting awfully close to last year's 19.3/ppg total.

Do you remember being a kid and pushing food you didn't like around your plate in order to give the impression that you actually ate it? That's what things are starting to feel like. Iowa hasn't scored a regulation touchdown during its last seven quarters of play all of which have come at home.

Iowa just scored 19 combined points in regulation over the last two games, in this era of offensive football...and some thought James Vandenberg was the problem?

These numbers are incredibly poor. Depressingly poor and if the message boards, twitter and post game call in shows are any indication, people are just tiring of it. Look towards the turnstiles at Kinnick Stadium; another non-sellout. Iowa has one home game left, against Michigan, and they probably won't sell it out, either. That will mean zero sellouts this entire season.

On Friday, Brian Ferentz sent out a tweet being critical of Iowa's gameday atmosphere in Kinnick. We all know he isn't referring to the fan support. It's more about the sound system (which will be upgraded next year) and what Iowa experiences on the road yet doesn't do to its opponents in Kinnick Stadium.

Let me submit this, from Brendan Stiles late Saturday night:

"Since 2010, Iowa is 16-11 at Kinnick Stadium. 4 wins are FCS opponents (E. Illinois, Tenn. Tech, UNI, Mo. State) & 2-2 vs. MAC."

That's a yo....then he added Iowa lost a total of nine games at Kinnick between 2002-2009.

'Machinehead' was audible through the TV when Iowa's defense forced a third down...several times. Who thinks that's a great song to get the crowd fired up to bring more noise? A nearly 20 year old song from Bush? Or how about the band knocking out a little 15 second riff of Quiet Riot's 'Mental Health' late in the game, a song that was released in 1983? Iowa plays so much ACDC that they are probably charged for royalties.

Iowa has to be the only team in college football who still plays it's stadium music with an eight-track player. OK, that's not true....at least I don't think it's true. But would you be shocked if it was? I've seen numerous critiques about the aforementioned environment through the years, so I will take your word for it. During the past decade, I haven't made it to many games due to radio obligations and when I have been there I haven't paid to get in. But these concerns are items I've read over and over or heard from callers over and over, so I'm simply repeating those critiques. They must be common enough for Ferentz to comment on them.

Add to it that Iowa put red, white and blue pom-poms on the seats before the game. While they were looking to honor veterans in doing so, Iowa's opponent this week is all about red. How much thought went into this one? Sort of had the feel of a last minute decision because this was 'black out' Saturday and the pom-pom release was late in the week. Did one slip past the goalie here, too?

Too many things related to the Iowa football program seem stale...the offense, the music, the environment. Iowa can change that, first and foremost, by winning, something Kirk Ferentz mentioned after the game.

Since the sledding actually got tough this year, which began against Michigan State, Iowa's offense has regressed into something akin to last year; they've averaged just 18.25 points per game over the last four games.

The silver lining is they are at Purdue next week with a chance to become bowl eligible. Purdue is horrible, but Iowa's offensive inconsistency means they aren't above losing to anyone in this league, even lowly Purdue. Michigan is a train wreck and Nebraska seemed to be heading that way before their miracle finish in Lincoln on Saturday.

As bad as Iowa has been on offense, a 3-0 finish to the year wouldn't really surprise me. 2-1 seems fairly plausible, with wins these next two weeks as the best path.

Iowa desperately needs one more win because they really need those 15 extra practices a bowl would bring.

Greg Davis is nearly two years into his stint as Iowa's offensive coordinator and while this year started out promising, it's limping to the finish line. The food has been spread all over the plate but it's hard to fool people when you can't score. Is it all on the coaches? No, as we've seen quite a bit of 'lack of execution' out there. But after a while, the evidence starts to make that irrelevant...when the same things keep happening over and over and over, the macro overtakes the micro.

Iowa has three games to win one....I hope they win more than that but one more is a must. Next week's game at Purdue is certainly a must-win for Iowa. Lose that one and....I don't even want to think about it.

OK. Let's end on a positive note. There is hope, right? There is always hope, so don't stop believin'.

Wait...that's from 1981, too.

BB would have a better record with the same players between 2010 and now.

You hit on it-this year the team needs more offensive play makers. Over the years that's been a pretty frequent refrain and part of that relates to Iowa's demographics, but how is it that UW has had one of, if not, the most productive offensive in the league the last 10 years, maybe the last 20? UW's been able to acquire some consistently quality skill position players at RB and WR that seem out of reach of Iowa. Not to mention they maximize that talent with a power running offensive scheme that Iowa seems to have only on a hit or miss basis. The fact is with talent like Iowa' you have to have a superior offensive scheme and execution to be competitive for a conference title. Indiana has a bad defense but a superior offense to us? Why? Northwestern's offense has been superior to us(obviously they miss Venric Mark) the last couple of years. I'm not a zone-read or else person, far from it. But, we have to improve the offense's speed. We can't over power solid defense's with marginal talent. Weisman is a great story, but he isn't the kind of back that's going to flummox elite defenses. I like what I've seen from Daniels and he may very well be another Shonn Greene or close to it but we need to compliment him with a true break away talent(Wadley? Parker? Canzeri, with more carries? Not sure if that guy is on the roster. Maybe he is) . The paucity of talent at the WR position is stark, but when you have a talent like Duzey and he's not being featured, and by that I mean putting in a position to make big plays and get a lot of touches then I wonder if even with a elite WR would be utilize him properly? Duzey, Canzeri, Powell, and Smith need to get the ball more and in ways that will maximize their abilities to make plays. Get them out in space, get them slants, get them bubble screens, get them pitches from the quarterback outside. Enough of playing everything tight. If we're going to pound the ball make defenses pay for over playing the interior run. I don't think the play calling has been terrible, just unimaginative and a little ad hoc and disjointed. We don't have an offensive identity because we don't have the talent to define one.

Resigned to the fact that Iowa will have an underperforming offense as long as Ferentz is coach. I like the progress the defense is making, but you can't win if you can't score. I knew they were done when they failed to capitalize on all the opportunities in the first half.

Latest posts