Offense's Mentality, not defensive scheme, is real problem

MisterWinky

As disappointing as the D has been in giving up points at end of games this year, its the mentality on O that is the real problem. They just don't seem to have that killer instinct. I was at the game and it is just aggravating to see them play so lifelessly so often.

I get that being conservative is important and has been part oif the reason for the success the Hawks have experienced under Ferentz, but they seem to play scared of messing up rather than with a confident but careful aggression.

I agree with another poster: they need a meeting with Gable or Brands. Combi9ne the businesslike approach of Ferentz with the fire, grit and expectation of success of the Iowa wrestling program.

...I agree with another poster: they need a meeting with Gable or Brands. Combi9ne the businesslike approach of Ferentz with the fire, grit and expectation of success of the Iowa wrestling program.

You would have to fire Ken O'Keefe for an "offensive cleansing" for this to happen. I'd be on board with it.

I liked persa's quote today in the paper.

Q. Why have you guys had so much success against Iowa Defense the past 2 years?

Persa, "They run the same scheme and we prepare for that scheme each year. We know where their players are going to line up and we set up our gameplan to find the holes in that defense."

I mean that quote right there should be a RED FLAG to Kirk Ferentz and the entire coaching staff! I mean if the opposing QB is saying that we run the same thing, I think its time to change it up a little bit!

I liked persa's quote today in the paper.

Q. Why have you guys had so much success against Iowa Defense the past 2 years?

Persa, "They run the same scheme and we prepare for that scheme each year. We know where their players are going to line up and we set up our gameplan to find the holes in that defense."

I mean that quote right there should be a RED FLAG to Kirk Ferentz and the entire coaching staff! I mean if the opposing QB is saying that we run the same thing, I think its time to change it up a little bit!

Wow ... that's amazing. And it probably won't change this week either.

So basically for teams we are better than, the matchups are good and we can take care of business. But because we are so freakin' predictable, to teams who are evenly matched against (Arizona / Wisconsin / Northwestern), they have the advantage because they already know what the scheme is and can practice all week for the upcoming game.

Genius!

I just pray we play with a little fire and our defense comes ready to play next week.

IF we play like we did against MSU we will be right there and could possibly win

IF we play like we did the past 2 weeks, We will get beat by 30 ( I only say 30 because Tressell will not run up the score, he is as conservative as KF.)

Latest posts