Offense

HawkeyeNTexas

Offense in a nutshell.

1. High screen is pointless. It accomplishes nothing. Cole rarely gets the ball off the screen and roll. Screen is easily defended.

2. 1 guy has the ball, the other 4 stand around. Should be some low block screens? none. Where is movement without the ball? not alot of it.

3. Poor ball handling. Some of the mistakes make them look like 5th graders. They may be young, but you should be better than that.

4. Breaking the full court press: terrible. 1 guy should run deep on the opposite side of the court. Will be open everytime. This seems obvious to me.

5. Turnovers. Stupid. See # 3.

6. I honestly believe I could coach this team better.

Last edited:
I will try to comment :)

1) The high screen could be effective used in moderation. Also, I would like the screener to be one of the outside shooters (Gatens, May, or even Fuller) so the pick and pop could be used when the dribbler is double teamed. I would also like more urgency on offense when we are behind. I know the object of the deliberate offense is to get the opponent to play defense for a lot of the shot clock, but sometimes we just need to go and try to score, especially when behind.

2) I would like off the ball screens. I think with the lack of players creating their own shot, the off the ball screens may help getting some players open for shots.

3) The ball handling needs to get better. I think some of that will hopefully come with experience. Also, hopefully some of the incoming recruits can do some of this.

4) I think the broke the press OK today with a couple of exceptions. It was better than the debacle against Minnesota. :) They need to keep the ball out of the corners and get the ball to the middle of the floor. When they do that they seem to break the press. What would also help is that when they break the press, they need to try to score if they have the numbers. When teams press and then get back to play defense against us, it is discouraging when we are having trouble to score.

5) Um, the turnovers are bad. Not much to say here.

6) I am going to say I think Coach Lickliter is a good coach. It may not be working out great now, but coaches do not get stupid after being smart. I think he could use some flexibility in his approach, but that is easy for me to say. I don't know your credentials, so I am not sure how you would do. :)

1. We don't have the right players to run the high screen game. Example 1 of poor coaching and forcing your system down everyone's throats

2. Every single person on the team is slow, so even if they were moving they wouldn't be moving very fast

3. See above, these guys are college basketball players, the guards should be able to dribble through anything but they have no handle and are slow

4. See points 2 & 3

5. The players are sick of playing. They don't care anymore. which leads to laziness and erratic play. they know they are going to lose and it shows. Not saying a lack of effort for all the "Effort guys" on this board but the apathy sets in early and you can see it. Not having any type of fun playing a fun game.

6. Yes you probably could, but the team would still suck so I would want you fired..

Kohl? Seriously?

Former German chancellor Helmut Kohl
kohl.jpg

Current Iowa basketball player Jarryd Cole
1602061.jpeg

ddiction. yes, now I feel like an idiot for spelling his name wrong. I think it may have been because I went to Kohl's yesterday and had that on my mind. Strike one against me. geez...

1. We don't have the right players to run the high screen game. Example 1 of poor coaching and forcing your system down everyone's throats

2. Every single person on the team is slow, so even if they were moving they wouldn't be moving very fast

3. See above, these guys are college basketball players, the guards should be able to dribble through anything but they have no handle and are slow

4. See points 2 & 3

5. The players are sick of playing. They don't care anymore. which leads to laziness and erratic play. they know they are going to lose and it shows. Not saying a lack of effort for all the "Effort guys" on this board but the apathy sets in early and you can see it. Not having any type of fun playing a fun game.

6. Yes you probably could, but the team would still suck so I would want you fired..

Your number 5 is laughable. You can't seriously belive this.

High pick and rolls as your offense usually won't work well because all teams can defend that well when they know it is coming.

Like one poster said, if you use it in moderation and have a second continuity offense and multiple sets then the high pick and roll would work better because the defense wouldn't always be there to hedge the ball handler forcing him 30 feet from the basket.

I don't even know how to complain about this "offense" because I don't understand it. I watch other college bball teams and it's easy to see their offensive idea. Lick has no interest in going inside and/or points in the paint. The only reason they were within 5 points was because they shot lights-out from 3.

The Hawks were 4 of 5 in the 1st half against OSU on Sunday. They were trying to go inside more than normal. I don't agree that Lick has no interest in going inside and/or points in the paint.