Obstructed Views in Kinnick

I have moved into pretty low rows behind the opponents bench a couple times, one time to heckle Andy Katzenmoyer about his IQ equaling the 45 on his uniform, and I am pretty sure even row one has clear sightlines. Down that low you get the speed and sound of the game but lose a lot of depth perception etc.

A friend of mine chose row 4 behind the Iowa bench during the 2005 reseating and he liked those seats.

What is the lowest row along the sidelines at Kinnick that offers clear sight lines? My re-seat time is upcoming.

I prefer anything in rows 10-20. You get high enough that you can see the far side of the field of something is happening. Any lower and you lose sight line of players on the far side.

The only sideline seats I ever had problems with down low on about the 10 yard line. I like endzone seats more. Anything between the 20s will be higher than 20 rows up for me by default because I am not wealthy.

I had seats in the south endzone in row 7 near MnHawkeyeFreak. The view was lovely. Hiyoooo!
Seriously tho... The depth perception was not the best down the field (as someone mentioned), but being so close to the action was more than kick a$$. CJF caught the game winner vs NW right in front of us!

I had seats in the south endzone in row 7 near MnHawkeyeFreak. The view was lovely. Hiyoooo!
Seriously tho... The depth perception was not the best down the field (as someone mentioned), but being so close to the action was more than kick a$$. CJF caught the game winner vs NW right in front of us!
I Think I can still get my row 5 seats but my sisters row 1 and 2 seats are gone. I won't be on TV any more...
it is difficult to see down field that low but that's what the big screen is for. I like being able to see the expression on the players faces as the catch or run in that rare TD! :)

iI know now you'll miss seeing the cheerleaders navels if you are sitting higher up.

I have moved into pretty low rows behind the opponents bench a couple times, one time to heckle Andy Katzenmoyer about his IQ equaling the 45 on his uniform, and I am pretty sure even row one has clear sightlines. Down that low you get the speed and sound of the game but lose a lot of depth perception etc.

A friend of mine chose row 4 behind the Iowa bench during the 2005 reseating and he liked those seats.

This definitely wasn't true the one time I had seats pretty close. I was inside of 10 rows around the 45 behind Iowa's bench and couldn't see the front corners of the far endzone very well at all. Of course, that wasn't so bad; just meant that I didn't have to actually see P.J. Hill cross the goal line. But I did have a clear view of Scott Chandler dropping a critical third down pass in the fourth quarter.

I Think I can still get my row 5 seats but my sisters row 1 and 2 seats are gone. I won't be on TV any more...
it is difficult to see down field that low but that's what the big screen is for. I like being able to see the expression on the players faces as the catch or run in that rare TD! :)

iI know now you'll miss seeing the cheerleaders navels if you are sitting higher up.

Oh. I'm def gonna miss the navel shots. My wifey won't mind that. Tehehe.

I checked a couple days ago, and row 7 is still wide open. So hopefully it'll still be like that in 1.5 months, when I get to pick. I really like being so close to the action. And on the hot days, you'd be so close, you could smell the turf.
Oh, now I'm ready to be there again!!! Thx Fweak!

Last edited:
I have often thought about too about what it would have been like to see an 1920s Iowa game before Kinnick Stadium. At Iowa field it seemed like some of the seats sat lower to the field than at Kinnick, but there were fewer rows total, about 34 rows on the sideline so that would have helped.

Keep in mind this was a multi sport facility, so some compromises had to be made. Along with other factors that played into the stadium design.

The grand stand was expanded in 1922 and the top seating was over an electric rail line. The south endzone seating almost formed a horseshoe. It was set a bit far back because of the track. In fact there were plans in the mid 20s to make it a full horseshoe. The acoustics at that end would have been pretty good.

The west grand stand also expanded in 1922 was right on the edge of the Iowa river. So it would have had nice ambiance on a crisp fall day. The north endzone would have probably been the least desirable seats. They were a short set of temporary bleachers that sat in the baseball outfield. However it was the closest to the players entrance.

For the most part it seemed like it would have been a good place to watch a football game. However space was limited so the administration building a new one. I like the new one also.

Last edited:
You damn elitists with your I don't want to be toooo close to the field. Do the peasants of the kingdom even serve grapes and whine to these rows?

Latest posts