Observations: Hawkeyes Blow Out Longwood

The 3 point record will always be Diebler's until someone breaks it in 4 years.
I agree with you that is should be Diebler's record but I wish they would compare how many games a player has played in during their career. Going into last nights game, they both had played in 144 games. With Bohannon getting to play an extra 31 games, the record may never come close to being broken.

I agree. If it takes him 2 whole games to break the record, that will be bull shit.
Record's a record. If it was the other way around for a Hawk player getting his record beat this way we'd say the same thing.

I enjoyed last night, but I think ultimately my opinion is we won't know anything about this team until conference play. We were fun to watch and looked good but I'm guessing most programs would against Longwood. Sure you can only play the games on the schedule, but I don't think Fran did any favors other than boosting the morale of the younger guys. I don't see any way these guys are battle tested come conference play, but they sure are fun to watch.

My observation, the starters played less than a half and Iowa only had 8 turnovers. That's good no matter if you're playing Roast Beef State or Ohio State.

Iowa travels to #25 Virginia in like 17 days
They travel to #7 Purdue 3 days after that
and host #11 IL 3 day's after that
and travel to ISU 3 days after that.

These games probably aren't getting them battle tested but we won't have to wait long at all to find out what this team is made of - they play 3 top 25 teams in the next 26 days.

It is going to be fun this year. The young players will only get better. I see over all us 16 to 18 games on the win side and nit tournament team.

Record's a record. If it was the other way around for a Hawk player getting his record beat this way we'd say the same thing.
I could see that if it took him way more games to catch him. But when one guy does it 144 games and the other does it in 146, it's not really a big deal. That said, I would always mention my guy did it faster whenever the record came up.

My observation, the starters played less than a half and Iowa only had 8 turnovers. That's good no matter if you're playing Roast Beef State or Ohio State.

Iowa travels to #25 Virginia in like 17 days
They travel to #7 Purdue 3 days after that
and host #11 IL 3 day's after that
and travel to ISU 3 days after that.

These games probably aren't getting them battle tested but we won't have to wait long at all to find out what this team is made of - they play 3 top 25 teams in the next 26 days.

If we break even on those games we will be doing very good

Because if the tables were turned we would say it’s invalid.

Is what it is but there will always be an asterisk.
True, but rather be basking than bitching OSU has enough trophies. I do not feel their pain in this particular situation.

I don't know how good the opponent was, but regardless Iowa completely dominated this team. They had a very quick point and Joe and Ulis tormented him. Patrick had an off-game but Keegan was a man among infants and JBo showed them what happens when they try to sag off of him. Keegan brought the ball down quite often as well. The defense is much improved. They did have a hard time protecting the rim. Hope Josh plays soon. Sandfort was a stud, will be a stud. He is going to fighting for more playing time. For some reason Perkins looked lost. What is his position? To slow for guard, to small for forward. He is a player looking for a position. Hope he figures it out. The transfer looked out of shape, was really huffing and puffing. He didn't impact the game much. Ash got a lot of playing time. He actually tried to run offense, made some passes, but I just don't see why he is getting minutes over other players, just a weird situation.

Is what it is but there will always be an asterisk.
Agreed, and as we know, it's not uncommon. For example:

Jerry Rice 22 rec TD's in 12 games (strike) vs. Randy Moss's 23 in 16 games
Roger Maris's record had an asterisk for many years
Steroid era in baseball
Michael Strahan's sack record because of help from Dickpick
Tom Dempsey's shoe when he kicked his 63 yd FG
Stats with bowl games because they didn't used to be counted, still aren't for oldies

Agreed, and as we know, it's not uncommon. For example:

Jerry Rice 22 rec TD's in 12 games (strike) vs. Randy Moss's 23 in 16 games
Roger Maris's record had an asterisk for many years
Steroid era in baseball
Michael Strahan's sack record because of help from Dickpick
Tom Dempsey's shoe when he kicked his 63 yd FG
Stats with bowl games because they didn't used to be counted, still aren't for oldies

How about the 3 point line being moved back from Diebler's time in the Big 10?

Diebler played from 2007-2008 season to 2010-2011 seasons.

3 Point Line was moved from 19-9 to 20-9 before 2008-2009 season
3 Point Line was moved again from 20-9 to 22-1 3/4 before 2020-2021 season.

So, that could be taken into account as well. :)

It is going to be fun this year. The young players will only get better. I see over all us 16 to 18 games on the win side and nit tournament team.
Really? winning 16-18 games with this schedule and making the NIT which needs to be done away with? Glad you are looking forward to it but the bar is really low and has been for some time. Winning championships and making runs in the tournament is the kind of fun that is what i hope for at this level.
I guess if I want to watch young players get better there is always the Local School Jr High team

Latest posts