Observations following a re-watch

He won't start by the Bigten barring injury, I bet.

I agree # 59 is Bofelli and you are correct as he did blow several assignments. # 65 is Walsh.

If that is the quality of play Boffeli is going to give then I am all for going to the next man until we can find guys that execute and dominate. When you have guys making mistakes this is why you kill drives offensively and give up scores on defense.

Some mistakes are going to happen but good coaches hold young men accountable through playing time. You pull the guy out and sit him down and explain the issue. You put the next man in and tell the guy you pulled that he will have to wait for his next shot but the next time in he had better execute because as a program we demand excellence. Otherwise you never 'CLEAN THINGS UP' and you keep on losing. Teammates start to lose faith in those screwing up. Team chemistry dissolves when some guys are accountable while others are not.

Yeah I'm hoping the d-line play was designed to keep lynch contained for the most part. So missouri state/Ia state will show us much more.

I agree # 59 is Bofelli and you are correct as he did blow several assignments. # 65 is Walsh.

If that is the quality of play Boffeli is going to give then I am all for going to the next man until we can find guys that execute and dominate. When you have guys making mistakes this is why you kill drives offensively and give up scores on defense.

Some mistakes are going to happen but good coaches hold young men accountable through playing time. You pull the guy out and sit him down and explain the issue. You put the next man in and tell the guy you pulled that he will have to wait for his next shot but the next time in he had better execute because as a program we demand excellence. Otherwise you never 'CLEAN THINGS UP' and you keep on losing. Teammates start to lose faith in those screwing up. Team chemistry dissolves when some guys are accountable while others are not.

I just re-watched the game, it was Walsh who was blocked into Rudock that caused the interception. Walsh did not have a bad game. Boffeli did not have a perfect game. Scherff and Blythe played the best on the line, followed by a tie between Boffeli and Van Sloten, then Walsh. Would Donnal have done any better than Walsh? Donnal is tall, it is hard for him to get leverage at times, and with the quick nose guard/D-tackle, not sure how quick his footwork is. B Ferentz commented early on that the closer to the center, the faster the play is. For run plays I thought the only guard that was able to consistently get a hat on the linebackers was Boffeli. We ran for over 200 yards with a first year QB (with the secondary cheating toward the line) more than I thought we would. I hope Hawkeyegamefilm reviews the positions again this year. Any one know if he is doing this?

After a close re-watch of the 1st half... #59 was killing us on the zone/stretch play... backside ILB on NIU made tackle on 6 left-side running plays by coming underneath 59... the rest of team is 'blocking up' these plays almost perfectly... 2 plays might have gone for 6. Being in the program this long and getting all these reps on the staple play ??? have to perform when the lights are on - maybe why he hasn't been out there before

Latest posts