O Line

Ferentz is going to be a very solid center. I think the best center we've had in a long, long time. I think Reiff will be one of the better OT's in the Big 10. The rest will be question marks. I think we'll see more roll outs this year and more stretch plays to try and canalize on our OL athleticism.

The center position is going to be perfectly fine. There are two in the running and either could start. Ferentz was in the running to take over the starting job last year, before his incident.
You are right on the OL athleticism, we might have a smaller line this year but they are better athletes. Look for Woody Orne to take over the right tackle position. That kid can run. Plus he's strong as can be, he just broke the Hawkeye record for the hang clean. Gallery's old record. This OL should be fun to watch. Jewel Hampton is going to have one heck of a year!

The center position is going to be perfectly fine. There are two in the running and either could start. Ferentz was in the running to take over the starting job last year, before his incident.
You are right on the OL athleticism, we might have a smaller line this year but they are better athletes. Look for Woody Orne to take over the right tackle position. That kid can run. Plus he's strong as can be, he just broke the Hawkeye record for the hang clean. Gallery's old record. This OL should be fun to watch. Jewel Hampton is going to have one heck of a year!

hawktech -

Like many, I'm more than a little intrigued by Orne. However, I doubt that Marc (Morehouse) is making something up in saying that it seems like Zusevics has a legit "lead" on Orne at RT.

Of course, there is still a good bit of time between now and the fall ... and, on top of that, football players sometimes get injured (hopefully our guys don't ... knock on wood). The point, of course, being that even if Orne doesn't start, if he works hard and learns our system well ... he could still put himself in a situation where he could be the "next man in" ... and that could end up leading to playing time and potentially a starting gig.

After all, at the very least, after Vandervelde graduates ... there will be another starting spot opening up in 2011. If Zusevics and Gettis can hold down their respective positions ... then that will likely leave MacMillan and Orne battling for the open OG spot.

If you think my comment was an attack on KOK, please go join the PSU fan base. They still think their defender that was called for pass interference in the 2008 IA game jumped straight up and did not go through Stross to get to the ball.

And to all mods on this board, please ban this tool for calling for my ban. This has done terminal damage to my feelings and my recovery is doubtful.

Think for a second that "okeefe4prez" is a moniker made from the element of sarcasm and then plug that logic into his post.

WTF? Aside from a future first rounder in Riley Reif we have total unknowns vying for the center and right tackle, Gettis is going to have to improve a lot from what we saw last season, Vandy has never been consistent and has to have the unofficial record for false starts penalties.

Right on man. Vandy I bet averages 1.1 false starts per game. I've been hoping to see more mentioning of Brett Van Sloten. I'm not very excited about Zus.

Latest posts