O line. Wth

How did you know that Wirf's ins't the sharpest knife? Explain your comment? What an idiotic thing to say. Watch the game...our tackles were fine...it's the interior line was the issue. Their outside people weren't the problem and they are the best players. Our left guard was getting beat every play.
I agree.

Jackson actually looked way better last night than he did against Michigan. Wirfs had a couple of plays where he struggled but overall played solid. PSU has arguably the best D-line in the conference. Those two ends are outstanding and Windsor is a stud. Almost all of the pressure last night came from Windsor completely overpowering the guards, or the ends looping in on stunts, all of which falls to the interior of the line and the RBs.

At this point, I would propose moving Wirfs to LG and starting Kallenberger at RT. I doubt it will happen, but that would be a much more effective unit, IMO. Landen Paulsen has no business being on the field.

It was not a math issue tonight, the OL lost an alarming number of individual battles. Way too many times, especially the interior was physically manhandled or defenders mistakenly given free run to the backfield. Still appears to be quite a bit of confusion with the RBs pass blocking as well.

Injuries happen, but Polasek better figure out how to get something out of this "highly regarded" line.
There's an old coaching adage that says it's not about the X's and the O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's. And the last couple of weeks, our Jimmy's and Joe's have been below average up front. It doesn't matter who the play caller is or that you are running the Air Raid Red Gun Streak Super Facemelter offense...if your guys up front are getting beat like ours are, you are going to struggle. Compound that with Stanley's inconsistencies and it's a recipe for some pretty pedestrian offensive output.

So if we are going to continue to do what we do in spite of ourselves, we are going to have to give those guys up front some help. More max protect stuff, more TE's staying in to block (not like we're getting much out of them anyway), simplifying the blocking schemes, and continuing to move Stanley's launch point (which they started off doing relatively well and then apparently ran out of those plays to call).

Latest posts