NY Jets Releasing Thomas Jones

SPGroth

Just saw on ESPN that the Jets are releasing Thomas Jones a few days before he was due a bonus. I am hoping that this means that Hawkeye Shonn Greene is going to see plenty of carries next year.

Just saw on ESPN that the Jets are releasing Thomas Jones a few days before he was due a bonus. I am hoping that this means that Hawkeye Shonn Greene is going to see plenty of carries next year.

They are releasing him as a result of believing Shonn will be the #1 guy. Jones was due a 3+ million dollar roster bonus next week if they kept him. Shonn will have the opportunity to be the featured back.

A healthy Shonn Greene= Pro Bowl next year. If he can stay healthy, I think he will put up at least as many yards as TJ did this year.

Hate to say I told you so but I told you so. During Greenes playoff run I called it and people acted like there was no way the Jets would cut 1,400 yards and 12 TD's.

Hate to say I told you so but I told you so. During Greenes playoff run I called it and people acted like there was no way the Jets would cut 1,400 yards and 12 TD's.

I dont recall the conversation here but it was pretty clear by the end of the playoffs that they were not going to resign Jones based on the roster bonus alone. He simply is not worth 5 million for one more season at his age. Greene, if healthy, if equal the production if not surpass.

I remember this - you were right. I thought they would keep him. The NFL is crazy, players can have career years and the team can cut them without paying a dime. But in MLB Carlos Silva can make his entire 48 million while having an era of 600

I remember this - you were right. I thought they would keep him. The NFL is crazy, players can have career years and the team can cut them without paying a dime. But in MLB Carlos Silva can make his entire 48 million while having an era of 600

Yeah, I don't really think its right but completely understandable. The Jets think they can get close to Jones' 1400 yards and 12 TD's and use the seven million dollars or whatever they would have paid Jones on a position of need. Hopefully it works out for them because I became a huge fan of the Jets style of play over that little playoff run.

As I said in another thread a couple days ago... Shonn is going to be a hot item in fantasy drafts. He has a good offensive line blocking for him so he should be able to put up some good numbers.

A healthy Shonn Greene= Pro Bowl next year. If he can stay healthy, I think he will put up at least as many yards as TJ did this year.

I can't go along with this until I see it. Jones doesn't have anything to prove, but Greene does. Greene shined late in the season, after getting limited wear, and being fresh. We will see how he stands up to a full 16 games of punishment. Much of Greene's success will depend on how Sanchez develops. If NY doesn't have a solid passing game again, then it will be tough sledding for SG.

I am planning on taking Greene with the 9th pick in my fantasy draft now, if he even falls that far
With that Oline he should have a monster season with Leon Washington filling in on 3rd downs