NW-#100 nationally in pass defense

racerhawk

Maybe Rick and the offense will have a good game, and get back to "clicking" again. Thoughts?

I hate to say it, but when they were finally left of the leash on Saturday, the Hawkeye offense "clicked" just fine. 80 yds in 3 plays.

The med-to-deep passing game was there ALL day - go back and watch the replay. Indiana sold out on the run all game long. Key in on their linebackers - they were taking 2 or 3 quick steps towards the LOS right at the snap all day long (except in obvious passing situations). I think we went with a conservative "don't make any mistakes" road philosophy, and it darn near cost us.

No way their CBs could cover DJK/McNutt 1 on 1. Could have won by 2 or 3 TDs easily, IMO.

Perhaps by clicking I'm referring to overall execution. They didn't click in the red zone. I have faith that they will next week. I agree with what you're saying about the IU defense, and agree that deep routes were open. I was also thrilled that we went 88 yards in three plays! However, Stanzi overthrew open receivers in the end zone. I'm not being critical, just wanting to quantify what "not clicking" meant to me...red zone execution.

I'm not being negative at all. I'm thrilled they won, and will be sitting in the cold in each of the last three games. Go hawks.

What was Indiana's pass ranking going into the game? It just baffles me how we struggle with IU and Northwestern.

What was Indiana's pass ranking going into the game? It just baffles me how we struggle with IU and Northwestern.

I'm pretty sure they were at the bottom of the bigten for most defensive stats...bad play calls and poor execution in the red zone killed us.

Doesnt matter where they are ranked if Stanzi is as accurate as last Saturday. One of his worst days as a Hawkeye.

I hate to say it, but when they were finally left of the leash on Saturday, the Hawkeye offense "clicked" just fine. 80 yds in 3 plays.

One thing about the 3 play TD drive is that they were in a Cover 2, and we hit the intermediate outside (soft spot in a Cover 2) on the first 2 plays, and on the 3rd play, McNutt ran a double move and they bit.

Second, Coker looked lost in pass blocking and I think the play calling all day showed that they coaches knew it. A lot of quick stuff, no long developing plays, etc. They were really soft on that drive so we didn't need backs in to block on that last play (both went out for a pass IIRC).

A-Rob is an outstanding pass blocker, so that should help open the playbook back up this week.

Last edited:

Latest posts