Now there's an opportunity

FreddyBrown

Regardless of what you think about how we got here, there's at least one open scholarship that could be used in the class of 2010.

Now the question and the challenge is: What will they do with it?

There are legitimate differences of opinion about what they ought to do. Lick's comments yesterday indicate that as you'd expect, the staff is undecided at this point. It depends on whether they find the right guy. But there are solid reports that they're out there actively looking.

This is the kind of thing that determines whether a staff will succeed or fail. What do they do with opportunities like this?

I'm hoping that they'll find an athletic guard who can help out with the playmaking and defense. I'm rooting for the staff to make the most of this opportunity. If they do, it could legitimately have a very positive impact on hopes for the immediate future of the program.

Regardless of what you think about how we got here, there's at least one open scholarship that could be used in the class of 2010.

Now the question and the challenge is: What will they do with it?

There are legitimate differences of opinion about what they ought to do. Lick's comments yesterday indicate that as you'd expect, the staff is undecided at this point. It depends on whether they find the right guy. But there are solid reports that they're out there actively looking.

This is the kind of thing that determines whether a staff will succeed or fail. What do they do with opportunities like this?

I'm hoping that they'll find an athletic guard who can help out with the playmaking and defense. I'm rooting for the staff to make the most of this opportunity. If they do, it could legitimately have a very positive impact on hopes for the immediate future of the program.

I agree with that totally Freddy. I'm sure whoever the staff pursues will be a topic of debate here!

I think there are a couple of absolutes;

1. They need to use it on a guard.
2. The guard needs to be able to contribute from day one. (Not necessarily a starter but at the very least a bona fide 6th man to spell Payne)
3. Absolutely no works in progress (e.g. Brommer)

Then I think there are preferences. Mine are this;

1. It needs to be filled next year. (Don't bank it)
2. I think it's time to bite the bullet and grab a Juco player that starts. (Tucker was a sophomore. So as far as timing, the scholly was only going to be tied up for the next two years. Using a Juco keeps you on the same schedule.

I agree Freddy. A quick pg who can stop penetration and on the opposite end penetrate and break down the defense. Plus the added depth if injuries where to occur in the back court.

Its a must. I get the feeling Todd is going to bank it, because he feels Marble is a pg. Who knows?

I honestly feel Cody Larson is the single most important recruit for lick. If cody can't score with his back to the basket down on the block, this offense will never fire on all 8 cylinders and Todd is going to get canned. Cody has to be the real deal imho for next year.

At this point I do not know how you can bank it. With that being said Lickliter cannot afford another project. This is what Todd is making millions to decide.

Great post Freddy...I have to say I'm kind of undecided myself..."use it on a JUCO PG"? "Save it for next year, letting Brust play point when Cully needs a break and grab a 4 year player"? Whatever they decide, the player needs to make a positive impact immediately when they get here.

Now I absolutely agree Lick needs to go out and sign a backup pg to Cully. Someone who can run the offense, beat the press, and get us into our offense. However some of you think it is like going to HyVee and choosing one off the shelves. Much easier said than done!

Yes, and we can also look at as a failed recruit by Lickliter.

And now, instead of having a developed junior center on this team that Iowa desperatedly needed that Lickliter could not provide, Iowa now has another open scholarship for another freshmen for year 4 in his tenure.

But we all have another excuse just to tell ourselves how young next year's class will be won't we just because this coaching staff could NOT recruit when they were hired,
WHEN we needed some players. THAT alone should tell you that this coach had no idea what he was doing when he got to Iowa...

A new coach does not come into a hurting program and the first thing he does if he needs a center is recruit a project center. Lickliter recruited a Butler center. He had not idea what was needed for the Big 10.

I agree with Freddy as well. If you had asked me mid-season.. I would have said without thinking twice, a big body that can rebound. However, this team has turned into a pretty dang good rebounding team as of late... Fuller, Cougs, Cole.. and hell even Payne is getting to the rebounds.

With that being said.. I definitely agree a pg is a necessity. I have been very supportive of Lil' Lick and I cheer hard for the kid every time he goes into the game because I love his passion and his heart... but he is not a d1 pg.

I would say the most likely option that Lick would take is going to be Kaylon Williams. And I think that is ONLY if Lick feels he can come in and contribute within his system. I am sure there will be many many conversations with Kaylon in the coming months... and if Kaylon isn't the guy... and there are no other pg options, I think that he will probably eat it and let Marble/Brust pick up some minutes for Payne.

I would like to see both of those guys moving without the ball... should be interesting to see what happens.. I am not excited about it.. but I think Kaylon is probably tops on the early radar for this scholarship right now... (I am impartial to this, as I think there are plusses and minuses to this kid)

Yes, and we can also look at as a failed recruit by Lickliter.

And now, instead of having a developed junior center on this team that Iowa desperatedly needed that Lickliter could not provide, Iowa now has another open scholarship for another freshmen for year 4 in his tenure.

But we all have another excuse just to tell ourselves how young next year's class will be won't we just because this coaching staff could NOT recruit when they were hired,
WHEN we needed some players. THAT alone should tell you that this coach had no idea what he was doing when he got to Iowa...

A new coach does not come into a hurting program and the first thing he does if he needs a center is recruit a project center. Lickliter recruited a Butler center. He had not idea what was needed for the Big 10.

Or as a second chance opportunity with that scholarship...

I agree with Freddy as well. If you had asked me mid-season.. I would have said without thinking twice, a big body that can rebound. However, this team has turned into a pretty dang good rebounding team as of late... Fuller, Cougs, Cole.. and hell even Payne is getting to the rebounds.
QUOTE]

I think people do this a lot in regards to this team...confusing "being good" at something with "being better than they were".

At this point, since Barta is planning on keepin Lick, all we can do is look at this as an opportunity. A chance to make a positive out of a negative.

"WHEN we needed some players. THAT alone should tell you that this coach had no idea what he was doing when he got to Iowa..."

Quit using the word "we." Your hatred of this coach is borderline clinical.

QUOTE]

I think people do this a lot in regards to this team...confusing "being good" at something with "being better than they were".

Iowa was outrebounding a significantly bigger and stronger OSU team in Iowa City for a good majority of the game... finished Iowa 26 reb. OSU 29 reb.

Iowa outrebounded a much more athletic team and bigger team in Illinois 32-26.

OSU the second meeting... Iowa 34 OSU 38

Iowa 34 Indiana 21

Iowa 29 MSU 33
Iowa 31 PSU 31 ???

Iowa has hung around on the boards with the best teams in the conference since the PSU game that gave this young team some confidence... I am not saying Iowa is a GREAT rebounding team.. but would I say they have been good (other than the Michigan game) since the PSU game.. absolutely. Especially thinking about the development of Cougill in the weightroom during the offseason.

I agree that an immediate contributor as a perimeter playmaker is the way to go.
As for who...lick is paid the big bucks to make that call. But, he is also paid the big bucks to win...so whatever direction he goes, it still all comes down to winning next year. If he chooses to bank it, and we lose next year,it could very well be banked for the next coach. I think he needs to recruit and coach like his hair is on fire or he might be out of a job in march,2011. Lets hope he makes the right call.

Latest posts