Nothing Like Having a Coach on the Floor

eyekwah

Near the end of the Ohio State game B.E. was trapped on the inbound pass in front of the OSU bench and Connor Mc ask for a timeout with the Referee nearest him. It bailed out B.E. out of a turnover and Iowa ended getting points on the possession. ESPN even pointed it out during the TO. He does so many "TEAM" things and really shows great leadership skills. I also saw that he is a District COSIDA candidate for academic achievement. He is playing a ton of minutes and when the last 5 minute roll around you want him on the floor.

Near the end of the Ohio State game B.E. was trapped on the inbound pass in front of the OSU bench and Connor Mc ask for a timeout with the Referee nearest him. It bailed out B.E. out of a turnover and Iowa ended getting points on the possession. ESPN even pointed it out during the TO. He does so many "TEAM" things and really shows great leadership skills. I also saw that he is a District COSIDA candidate for academic achievement. He is playing a ton of minutes and when the last 5 minute roll around you want him on the floor.
Absolutely! I saw the same thing. He has the highest basketball IQ on the court. Usually from either team.

That was a very good play and his IQ is very helpful on the floor.

My second question would be why does Toussaint not come in for end of game free throws? I know he gets pulled throughout the game for turnovers or bad shots, but he’s shooting free throws over 80% and he’s our strongest and fastest guard. Seems like the other guys have a tougher time getting open. Fran did put him in after the aforementioned timeout by Connor but thought it was worth mentioning as in our other games, specifically Rutgers Toussaint was on the bench when we were turning it over.

That was a very good play and his IQ is very helpful on the floor.

My second question would be why does Toussaint not come in for end of game free throws? I know he gets pulled throughout the game for turnovers or bad shots, but he’s shooting free throws over 80% and he’s our strongest and fastest guard. Seems like the other guys have a tougher time getting open. Fran did put him in after the aforementioned timeout by Connor but thought it was worth mentioning as in our other games, specifically Rutgers Toussaint was on the bench when we were turning it over.

Turnovers are the last thing you want at the end of a close game and Toussaint turns it over a lot. Easy decision to keep him out now.

CMacs basketball IQ is off the charts. In fact most of the teams IQs are high imo.

Turnovers are the last thing you want at the end of a close game and Toussaint turns it over a lot. Easy decision to keep him out now.

JT doesn’t TO the ball in the press or vs traps. He TOs it by going too fast at times pressing the pace and making difficult passes. That’s not what happens in the end game. He needs to be out there for his speed, handles and clutch FT shooting in the end game IMO. JT, CMac, JW, CJF and LG. BE has also made clutch FTs (MN) but he doesn’t have that separation ability to receive a pass like JT has. Not having JT in the game in the last minutes almost allowed RU to comeback at the end of the game.

It just works better having BE play off the ball as opposed to JoeT.
For clarification. I’m talking about situations where the other team is fouling bringing Joe T in to one get open and two make free throws (shoots above 80%).

Again Fran saw and did this after the Connor timeout that this thread is about, and he did it in the Rutgers game after a huge Evelyn turnover in that situation. Just think it would make some sense going forward and should have done it earlier in both those contests. Seems like Joe T gets lost on the bench once he’s gone out in my opinion.

JT doesn’t TO the ball in the press or vs traps. He TOs it by going too fast at times pressing the pace and making difficult passes. That’s not what happens in the end game. He needs to be out there for his speed, handles and clutch FT shooting in the end game IMO. JT, CMac, JW, CJF and LG. BE has also made clutch FTs (MN) but he doesn’t have that separation ability to receive a pass like JT has. Not having JT in the game in the last minutes almost allowed RU to comeback at the end of the game.
Correct. Exactly the point of my statement.

Despite Bakari's turnovers, he fits very nicely into Fran's transition game schemes

He races downcourt with the ball and is very active dribbling on the perimeter, keeping the opponents running around trying to contain him

Al that said, he, JoeT and Connor have to find JoeSmooth quicker in the possession when he is open on the wings, in his spots and more than likely to nail a quick three

Now that, just like JoeT he is becoming a scorer

Connor's basketball savvy is, as metioned, off te charts. He is one of the best playing the psychological warfare game as anyone in college ball. Jordan was also

They both infuriate the opponents, get into their heads and stay there

Just like Larry Bird

:cool:

For clarification. I’m talking about situations where the other team is fouling bringing Joe T in to one get open and two make free throws (shoots above 80%).

Again Fran saw and did this after the Connor timeout that this thread is about, and he did it in the Rutgers game after a huge Evelyn turnover in that situation. Just think it would make some sense going forward and should have done it earlier in both those contests. Seems like Joe T gets lost on the bench once he’s gone out in my opinion.

Fair enough. Firstdown’s point about how and when JoeT’s turnovers occur is a good one. I wasn’t looking at it in specific situations, that’s my bad. I just compared turnover rates and FT shooting and went, “meh, what’s the difference”. I get what you are throwing down now.:)

Fair enough. Firstdown’s point about how and when JoeT’s turnovers occur is a good one. I wasn’t looking at it in specific situations, that’s my bad. I just compared turnover rates and FT shooting and went, “meh, what’s the difference”. I get what you are throwing down now.:)
Joe T has definitely made his fair share of mistakes. I’ve maintained all season long that the majority of his turnovers aren’t not love ball turnovers that often lead to a bucket the other way. His are often travels and offensive fouls, which I can deal with to an extent.

Against OSU row of his three turnovers were a shot clock violation and a moving screen away from the play. Those are much more manageable than throwing the ball to the other team in my opinion.

Joe T has learned a lot and got a lot of great experience. He seems to have that bulldog attitude and never get down on himself. Hopefully that pays dividends into the future.

Latest posts