Nothing ever changes narrative

They've changed things around the edges, this is true. But they haven't changed who they essentially are.

That said, the sky is falling notion because we only scored 3 points is an overreaction. The Bears scored only 3 their first game and have become a decent offense since there, even with some of those games with the underwhelming Trubisky at QB.

So..... like every football team from pop warner to the NFL?

He didn't say. I just thought the comment was interesting.

In the first half of the KF era, Iowa lost many games, but rarely lost the physical battle, even when they were outmanned from a talent standpoint (see @Wisconsin 2007 or @OSU 2003). Those were physical teams that couldn't back down Iowa an inch.

Since 2010 things have been different. Iowa still looks physical against the likes of Rutgers or the MAC but physical programs like MSU, PSU, & Wisconsin have the edge over Iowa physically. Even Purdue and Minnesota, programs not known to be physical, have been standing up to Iowa. NW frankly dominates Iowa from a physical standpoint.

So Iowa's calling card if you will is kinda been taken from them.

The dressing has changed. You are being a bit lazy yourself. We what hasn't changed is the unwillingness to adapt to a game. That stats you gave were against less than top competition. 3 opponents were very weak. What are the stats against ISU and M?

The fact is that 66 yards total offense and 1 yard rushing are very unusual to ever happen to a solid team once in 3 years. Fact is we had over similar but not quite as bad. The bitching us old. So are efforts such as this. If you have a molasses QB, do
To things to make him successful. Showcase your best rb. Do planned quick hitters.

Harbaugh is just as bad as he never once again went deep after torching Iowa the first time. M fans are madder than we are.

Stop being lazy and add real narrative.

Bullshit.

I still think the recipe of a strong defense, running the ball effectively and play action passing is a winning formula. Look, nobody right now would be complaining about the offense if we were Wisconsin right now. And guess what they do? The exact thing we want to do, they just have better players at some positions and above all more consistent offensive line play.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with the narrative of "you know what you get when you play Iowa". I think if anything we have started to move away from that somewhat. Our offensive line play is only a shell of what it was in the early Kirk years, and that alone would be the difference. We don't have play making tight ends right now, and without scouting other teams I would say that our tight ends are middle to bottom of the big ten.

We have to get back to being the bullies of the big ten for us to win any championship. And right now we arent.

I have never really intensely watched Wisky's Oline blocking schemes except to say they use a more power straight ahead approach, maybe with double teams and also use some pulling linemen more than Iowa.

With Iowa the defense can flow hard to whatever direction the zone blocking goes and be 95% assured they will run into the play. All they have to do is contain and protect against the cutbacks. The cutbacks are a designed counterplay aspect of zone blocking but Iowa has not had the cutback lanes and the cutback runners near as much as they used to.

Hard to run the ball when the defense almost always can quickly read where it is going.

There was a fascinating article written about Bret Beliema when he left Wisconsin at the peak of his career to take the Arkansas job. It hinted strongly that Bret felt uncomfortable toiling in Barry's shadow, that Bret's ego demanded wider open spaces. A badger player was quoted in the article as saying that when one mentions the word "coach" around here, there's only one person they're referring to. Kirk and Paul, for better or worse, have embraced the legacy the proceeded them and Iowa and Wisconsin are lucky to have them. As you have pointed out many times, look at what has happened one state to our west. Ferentz haters take note. His era is going to look like Barry Switzer compared to what's coming in about ten-twenty years. Unless we can catch lightning in a bottle with a hot up and comer and realize he may not be here very long.

I also read news that Bielema wanted higher salaries for his assistants which Alvarez wasnt going for.

I wonder if the people that screamed "run the damned ball" against Michigan, were the same people who said that Brian runs too much, no creativity, running into stacked fronts, does not play to win...etc etc.

Each game and situation is different but after seeing michigan's blitz eat up the line for 2 qtrs maybe trying to bust a run a little more often would of been more efficient around Mich's 25-30 yard line

I also read news that Bielema wanted higher salaries for his assistants which Alvarez wasnt going for.
Yes, that was part of the story too.

Alvarez blazed his path to greatness long before anyone behind the cheddar curtain even knew who he was. When he accepted the HC position at Mason City high school in 1975 he was none too happy with the weight training facilities. He didn't wait for approval from the principal, the school board, the local zoning people, construction companies, none of it. He and an assistant coach simply came in with sledgehammers one weekend and knocked out a wall, shoveled the mess on the back of a pickup, and expanded the weight room. A tech ed teacher welded some benches so they would have more free weight stations. And they gradually became the strongest, most physical team in the state. Barry won a state State football championship at Mason City in 1978. Not only has that not been accomplished there since, the timing couldn't have been better. Jobs at both Iowa and Iowa State would soon open, as well as Ohio State, Colorado, and Oklahoma State. Those were great opportunities for college assistant coaching positions to open up, and Alvarez of course would be hired by Hayden Fry on the recommendation of Dan McCarney.

I have my opinions about what Iowa should do on offense, but the older I get the less confident I am about them...I know this - the coaches know a hell of a lot more about football that I do. They saw the film and they know who can do what on their team.

Bullshit.

How so. We play 2 teams with a pulse and average 60 yards rushing and 10 points.

Explain your version of bullshit.

They are passing more.

The Hawks have 85 percent of the players for a playoff team. The other 15 percent isn't P 5 level.

Iowa right now is producing good corners, tight ends, D linemen for the NFL. Sometimes linebackers. The O-line producers NFL players, but where you are going to get but hurt, but the criticism is there is that the O linemen are built right. They understand game plans. They do get criticism for lacking fundamentals. That showed Saturday.

So I call bullshit on your bullshit.

I wonder if the people that screamed "run the damned ball" against Michigan, were the same people who said that Brian runs too much, no creativity, running into stacked fronts, does not play to win...etc etc.
Yes

I have never really intensely watched Wisky's Oline blocking schemes except to say they use a more power straight ahead approach, maybe with double teams and also use some pulling linemen more than Iowa.

With Iowa the defense can flow hard to whatever direction the zone blocking goes and be 95% assured they will run into the play. All they have to do is contain and protect against the cutbacks. The cutbacks are a designed counterplay aspect of zone blocking but Iowa has not had the cutback lanes and the cutback runners near as much as they used to.

Hard to run the ball when the defense almost always can quickly read where it is going.
That badass Tyler Biadasz can pull from the center position and flatten an edge defender. He pancaked Brandon Snyder a couple years ago on a TD play.

You will be seeing him on Sunday next year.

I have my opinions about what Iowa should do on offense, but the older I get the less confident I am about them...I know this - the coaches know a hell of a lot more about football that I do. They saw the film and they know who can do what on their team.

I completely agree with you, the coaches are very intelligent and know more than all of us. While I don't have a clue on how to coach an offensive line, techniques, exactly how our scheme works vs. others like Wisconsin or how to begin to fix it, I as well as most can see where the problem lies.

I would just think that with Kirk being an o line guy and knowing he prides his teams on being tough, balanced and valuing the run, that when he watched the film of this game that he was not happy. He probably threw up.

So there is a narrative that I read consistently that at this point just angers me every time I see it. This post is my attempt to chill the narrative and get people to say what they actually mean. As a fan you have every right to be upset with your team, its losses, its coaches, whatever. If you like Kirk and or Brian, you hate Kirk and/or Brian, you want to see them fired, replaced, put on a pedestal, encased in carbonite and sold to Jabba the Hutt, whatever......I don't care. But I'm exhausted by the false narrative that nothing ever changes with our coaching and our offense, its just not accurate. Its a lazy commentary. So stop being lazy. You want to complain because we lost to Michigan go ahead, but then break out some legit vitriol, not the tired, false narrative that nothing ever changes. There's plenty of legit things to complain about from Saturdays loss to a team we are better than right now, and we should have beaten. Some of those things are coaching things, so have at it. But stop with the these guys never change stuff garbage, I beg you. Since Brian took over for the 2017-2018 season here are just a few things that have "changed" with our offense and schemes, and related items. I could have added more, but i'll let you guys do the rest.

Offensive plays per game:
2019 76.2 currently ranked 30th
2018 68.9
2017 ranked 110th with 66.2
2016 65.9

Team pass play percentage
2019 48.03%
2018 47.04%
2017 44.13%
2016 39.7%
For the majority of the ferentz era we were between 40-44%

Points per game
2019- We are currently at like 27, we were way above that until scoring 3 this week, who knows ?
2018- 30.6
2017- 28.2
2016-25.2
Usually somewhere between 26-28 during the ferentz era

4th down attempts
2019- already this year 11 attempts. In 5 games we have pretty much the same number of 4th down attempts we had in all of 2015
2018- 25
2017- 22
2016- 17
2015-14

Fake field goals, and punts.
This is a narrative answer rather than stats based, because in my quick look up i couldn't find them i'm sure somebody will help me out with that. I read a post from 2016, after a botched fake kick that asked readers to post recent fake punts or kicks they could remember. for the hawks. The thousands of posters came up with 7 they could remember in the entire ferentz era. How many fake punt, or field goal attempts have we seen in the last two years? Do you remember when the iowa crowd cheered for a failed fake attempt, because we at least tried a fake attempt?

I write this post not to say you shouldn't complain. Complain away. Just do it accurately and lose the lazy narratives. Complain away about brian and kirk and the team, etc. Philosophies and scheme, and style have all started to change rather dramatically during Brian's tenure. From playing the majority of snaps from two tight end sets, to running mostly 3wr sets this year, to being more pass oriented then at any other time in our history this year, change has come. Maybe things like us losing head scratcher games to teams we shouldn't lose to hasn't changed. Maybe not going undefeated and winning the national championship or big ten title hasn't changed (The year ain't done yet). But plenty of things have changed with this team. Its not the same old same old, and to be honest, the narrative that nothing ever changes is what is same old, same old.

Larry, Larry, Larry...why would ever try to win an argument with facts and analysis. I'm calling Fake News first. It's a losing proposition here. You have to learn to spin things with half truths and emotion. Come on...get with the program.

I heard, and I don't know if this is true or not, that there were some indiscretions that the administration wasn't happy with and Mr. Bielema was advised to explore opportunities elsewhere. That actually makes sense because Wisconsin to Arkansas is at best a lateral move and given the strength of the SEC West, it is preposterous to think you're going to regularly rack up double digit wins in that division when you go to Arkansas.

The dressing has changed. You are being a bit lazy yourself. We what hasn't changed is the unwillingness to adapt to a game. That stats you gave were against less than top competition. 3 opponents were very weak. What are the stats against ISU and M?

The fact is that 66 yards total offense and 1 yard rushing are very unusual to ever happen to a solid team once in 3 years. Fact is we had over similar but not quite as bad. The bitching us old. So are efforts such as this. If you have a molasses QB, do
To things to make him successful. Showcase your best rb. Do planned quick hitters.

Harbaugh is just as bad as he never once again went deep after torching Iowa the first time. M fans are madder than we are.

Stop being lazy and add real narrative.

I really think Jimmy was afraid his QB would throw another pick and give Iowa a short field. The way the game was going, he likely concluded our offense was a trainwreck and he could get by on his defense in this game. Nothing but a shame on our end that we could not get our shit together.

As far as "nothing ever changes", how many times do you ever watch the Hawk offense and think "Hey, they have a gameplan specifically for this opponent- I'm seeing things I don't normally see"?

For all of the "modernizing" BF's been doing, they don't seem to have a clear idea of what their strengths and weaknesses are, what the opponents' are, and how to combine those things into a plan of attack. Rather, they seem to approach every game the same. So you get "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (that's football)".

i.e., there is no "coordination".

2 times that REALLY jump out at me for effective changes that were made for this program under Ferentz:

2004 season when we had no running backs
The recent Ohio St win at Kinnick

I'm sure there are some others in there, but mostly Iowa stays around the mean.