Notes on a very good game

uihawk82

Maybe Moss needs to shoot from a few feet deeper. he looked loose, I hope Fran got him to just relax, play the game and let it come to him.

Some ugly sloppy turnovers, need to 'clean it up', our favorite hawkeye coaches cliche. Bad hands, some lazy one handed passing, cant have 18-20 very often and win.

Connor played strong, when Bohannon finds his shot this team could be real tough. Liked a lot of the ball movement, not as much one person dribbling for long periods

Great job on the boards. Cook and Pemsil tough, and Baer. Maybe not a great game with a lot of running for a big guy like Garza

I didnt think the hawks played super smart when they got the 20 point lead. Iowa St started overplaying, reaching and mugging, the refs were having a coffee break while ISU didnt get whistled for about 4 minutes.

The hawks would have been smarter to jab step and go back door for some easy hoops. I put some of that on Fran, he needs to get his players to know when an opponent is desperate on Dee and overplaying, to draw them out from the lane with crisp passing and back screen and back door them. Alford still might be our coach if he could coach with a lead and teach some back door offense or more aptly called like the Princeton offense

OMG the turnovers! And many of them were just unforced dumb decisions. The only time I really yell at the TV is when Iowa makes dumb turnovers. My voice is hoarse from last night.

OMG the rebounding! I was really impressed with the effort the Hawks put in on the boards. To use a few FM terms, exceptional, tremendous, outstanding!

According to the NET NCAA rankings, which don't mean much right meow, but this was Iowa's best win. ISU was ranked 18th this week.

OMG the turnovers! And many of them were just unforced dumb decisions. The only time I really yell at the TV is when Iowa makes dumb turnovers. My voice is hoarse from last night.

OMG the rebounding! I was really impressed with the effort the Hawks put in on the boards. To use a few FM terms, exceptional, tremendous, outstanding!

Yes on the rebounding, especially the Off boards which negate turnovers. If Iowa was +10 on offensive boards and shooting about 50% then that is five extra buckets and negates a bunch of turnovers. At least that is the way Lute looked at it.

I used to love to listen to Lute's post games as he went down the box score with meticulous fashion talking about how certain players made an impact, rebounds vs turnovers and the % in each,

Season saving win, perhaps. I didn't get to see much of it but Iowa seemed to play with passion.

Clean a few things up. If 3-pointers fall, the game is pretty easy.

I started a thread after the Mich St. game that Rob rightfully took down secondary to my blunt thread title which basically said "They Play Like A Bunch Of ....<fill in blank>...".

Anyway, last night they did not play like that. They played tough, physical, didn't take any crap. They had a toughness. Good to see. They were assertive. They were confident (see Moss).

Have you thought about getting counciling for your tv? Television abuse peaks around the holiday season and early spring in the Midwest. The dammit Fran syndrome leads to signs of physical abuse and is the leading cause of repeated visits to Best Buy locations which can cause bouts of loneliness for some TV’s as they find themselves isolated in secondary bedrooms and basements. Some researchers have found in rare instances garage dust can form when the physical abuse diminishes productivity and can end in inactivity of some televisions. :D

The way Iowa shot the ball they deserved to win the game, and it was nice to see our offense break out.

With that said the turnovers are still a major major issue. This team simply doesn’t value possession of the ball. In the first half Iowa got a stop and Moss goes up for a board non chalantly clangs off his hands out of bounds Iowa State ball and then we have to defend for another 30 seconds. Again in the 1H Iowa gets a stop TC skies for a board and lands with two feet on the out of bounds line, Iowa state ball have to defend for another 30 seconds.

There is going to be some natural turnovers due to our pace and the way we feed the post. I don’t know what it is but TC has an awful tough time holding his post position at times and the entry passes often get picked. But with that said we had a bunch of just silly turnovers.

The defense was good for a few spurts and was also the defense of old for spurts. We are never going to be a great defensive team but they have shown improvement on that end.

Overall we have a chance to go undefeated in non conference, which I don’t think anyone saw coming so that would be great. Keep improving as a team, get this turnover thing figured out, get Jbo’s shooting confidence back and I think we can get to 10 or so wins in the B1G and have a chance to hear our name called selection Sunday.

I started a thread after the Mich St. game that Rob rightfully took down secondary to my blunt thread title which basically said "They Play Like A Bunch Of ....<fill in blank>...".

Anyway, last night they did not play like that. They played tough, physical, didn't take any crap. They had a toughness. Good to see. They were assertive. They were confident (see Moss).

While we've all seen Moss go off before, and he DID cool down in the 2nd half, that to me "looked" like a different player. He played stronger with the ball and aggressive on both ends of the court. IMO, he looks way thicker this year. Almost like a different player. I am not ready to go crazy on him, but I am excited to see if he can keep that kind of confidence as the season progresses.

While we've all seen Moss go off before, and he DID cool down in the 2nd half, that to me "looked" like a different player. He played stronger with the ball and aggressive on both ends of the court. IMO, he looks way thicker this year. Almost like a different player. I am not ready to go crazy on him, but I am excited to see if he can keep that kind of confidence as the season progresses.
He played with that scorers mentality which I think is huge for our backcourt. Moss can create things for himself as can Weiskamp, and when you get those two going it can be lethal. JBo has been struggling but it’s hard for him to create his own, however his ultimate role would be the dead eye shooter once he gets his stroke back. Cmac isn’t a score first guy by nature which is fine when you have Moss and Joe attacking. He can facilitate. That formula when cooking opens everything up for Cook and Garza down low.

The other awesome thing we are seeing over the recent games is it looks like (knock on wood) Baer is getting his 3pt shot back, which led him to the 6th man of the year two years ago. When he can knock that shot down he is such a high quality player off the bench with his defense and rebounding.

This is the type of game we need Moss to have if we're going to be successful. He hasn't played well offensively IMO all year, but has been giving a lot of effort and playing well on D. It's nice to see him put a full game together. If earlier season Moss shows up I don't think we win this game. Prohm was right, Moss was the difference maker last night.

I was really excited about the effort and the passion everyone played with. They didn't fold when pressed, I'm so happy for Pemsl - his stats weren't earthshattering but he made a huge difference. That JW was able to play was pretty impressive too. Cook was really the mediator between the two teams, you can tell he has matured quite a bit.

The way Iowa shot the ball they deserved to win the game, and it was nice to see our offense break out.

With that said the turnovers are still a major major issue. This team simply doesn’t value possession of the ball. In the first half Iowa got a stop and Moss goes up for a board non chalantly clangs off his hands out of bounds Iowa State ball and then we have to defend for another 30 seconds. Again in the 1H Iowa gets a stop TC skies for a board and lands with two feet on the out of bounds line, Iowa state ball have to defend for another 30 seconds.

There is going to be some natural turnovers due to our pace and the way we feed the post. I don’t know what it is but TC has an awful tough time holding his post position at times and the entry passes often get picked. But with that said we had a bunch of just silly turnovers.

The defense was good for a few spurts and was also the defense of old for spurts. We are never going to be a great defensive team but they have shown improvement on that end.

Overall we have a chance to go undefeated in non conference, which I don’t think anyone saw coming so that would be great. Keep improving as a team, get this turnover thing figured out, get Jbo’s shooting confidence back and I think we can get to 10 or so wins in the B1G and have a chance to hear our name called selection Sunday.

Funny you mention those two plays. I was watching the game alone in my basement and after both plays I screamed "that never happens" at the TV. After the second one I thought to myself that I'm glad I'm alone because it sounded stupid to say that twice in one game. It was true tho. Those 2 plays never happen at the college level.

His best play was his pull up jumper off the dribble to his left. That was a good looking shot. He's GOT to keep his foot off the line tho. Its ridiculous how often he shoots with his foot on the line. He even does it in pre game warmups. It's so strange how you can be so unaware of something so important.

Am I crazy or does his body just look a lot bigger and he looks a lot thicker this season. I don't think I noticed it up until last night, maybe that's because he was on fire. Could have been the grey unis.

This thread is dumb. Don’t you guys remember, Iowa is just as bad as last year. Fran is a terrible coach and Barta is the worst. Iowa didn’t deserve to win last night, ISU was missing their best players. No way Moss will do that again. Pemsl won’t play that well again. Get it out of your heads, there’s no room for positive energy on this message board. (Sarcasm)

Tough players played tough. Good Hawks! Staff must stay focused and communicate. All on same page can be done. Stiil starts at TOP. Go Hawks.

Moss was fantastic but he tends to have 3-4 fantastic games a year, with the rest being anywhere from mediocre to him being invisible on the floor. I hope this continues but I just don't know....

That blind over the shoulder pass that Cook threw in the general vicinity of Baer in the corner was inexcuseable. They yank seventh graders for those passes. That would have been a teachable moment for Speraw to tell Tyler "You're going right back in, but knock that crap off!"

To be the negative Nancy I too was big time frustrated with TOs and the kind that they were. It seemed to be infectious as it wasn't like it was just one guy. It was most of em… And beyond that is anyone else a little nervous about JBo and Garzas play? They haven't looked so hot lately. Pemsl playing the way he did kinda put some lipstick on the effort Garza gave inside I thought. Garza needs to toughen up a little and start hitting those inside shots again. He missed some that he should be making with his eyes closed.