Notes from Thursday's Gary Barta Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine. Laugh. If you have the balls to take responsibility for decisions made by Barta and the large number of people around him, I will be more than happy to listen to you. Until then, you are just another of the population who loves to Monday morning QB.
The second guessing and criticism of the athletic department’s decisions will occur. When you look at the length alone of this transcript, consider the institutional risk/reward considerations, the vast number of unknowns, the purely human elements, the pressures from a huge number of sources, political, medical, social, monetary, and beyond, the blame game will have a field day.
I hope most of us will be smart enough to place their trust in those who know a hell of a lot more than we do. Yeah, I know. Probably a pipe dream on my part. But to mix a metaphor, I will continue to joust with windmills on this one.
I'm not much of a 'Monday morning QB', which involves looking at the past and claiming you knew how to do something better. And I'm not criticizing Barta's decision to open up when and how he likes -- you can make endless arguments one way or the other for any number of scenarios. I was commenting specifically on the athletic dept's inconsistent season ticket policy and their inability to even inform their staff of last-minute policy changes in a timely way -- none of which is rocket science or particularly complex. My point is, while Barta undoubtedly has strengths, administration and communication have historically been proven to be his weaknesses -- and I don't know anyone who would even debate that. Trust him with my health and life? Not a chance.

Football is the engine that funds the entire athletic department so, of course, Barta is going to plan to have fans in the stands.

As stated a lot can change between now and September regarding the virus. At this point, who knows. I would jsut say this, as things stand now do yyou see yourself putting yourself at risk going into a full stadium?

Personally I see myself watching all game on TV.....................

With that many people in one place I'm not really sure what the difference would between whether Kinnick is half full or sold out. I think the consensus is regardless of how many tickets they decide to sell, people are either of the mentality that "I'm going" or "I'm not going to chance it".

With that many people in one place I'm not really sure what the difference would between whether Kinnick is half full or sold out. I think the consensus is regardless of how many tickets they decide to sell, people are either of the mentality that "I'm going" or "I'm not going to chance it".
I had the same thought. The risk factor between 30,000 and 70,000 folks does not seem material. To me, you either allow fans in as normal or you allow no fans. Half way is hard to justify.

I think if fans are going to be allowed in, Iowa would be wise to invest in some kick ass gold and black face masks with tiger hawks. It would be a cool way to encourage responsible social interactions and kind of have the feel of a black out. Imagine a crowd shot where everyone had matching masks on.

I went into hawkshop.com a couple weeks ago and there were no masks. I just checked again and still nothing. I would guess that will change come time for the season to start.

When I googles hawk shop some ads did come up:
shopping

I thought it was funny that Barta on KXNO yesterday replied to the question comparing his policies to Pollard's by correcting Ross about his mis-stated question (that fans would lose their points if they didn't renew), but not saying anything about his real point about fans losing their seats if they don't renew.

I thought it was funny that Barta on KXNO yesterday replied to the question comparing his policies to Pollard's by correcting Ross about his mis-stated question (that fans would lose their points if they didn't renew), but not saying anything about his real point about fans losing their seats if they don't renew.

That will be absurd if Barta takes peoples' seats if they don't renew this year. I'm not exactly an outspoken proponent of The Boomer generation and I won't delve into my personal thoughts about risk tolerance, but it is abundantly clear that our society needs to provide significant protection for people over 70 and our fan base is not exactly full of spring chickens. We really shouldn't force accounts on which the primary contact is over 65 into this sort of decision. That is a totally classless, chickenshit move based on the information that is available about The Germ today.

Fine. Laugh. If you have the balls to take responsibility for decisions made by Barta and the large number of people around him, I will be more than happy to listen to you. Until then, you are just another of the population who loves to Monday morning QB.
The second guessing and criticism of the athletic department’s decisions will occur. When you look at the length alone of this transcript, consider the institutional risk/reward considerations, the vast number of unknowns, the purely human elements, the pressures from a huge number of sources, political, medical, social, monetary, and beyond, the blame game will have a field day.
I hope most of us will be smart enough to place their trust in those who know a hell of a lot more than we do. Yeah, I know. Probably a pipe dream on my part. But to mix a metaphor, I will continue to joust with windmills on this one.

In this one it's not hard. Pollard announced everything he did today weeks ago. Waiting until the day people need to renew to announce it is just dumb.

I think if fans are going to be allowed in, Iowa would be wise to invest in some kick ass gold and black face masks with tiger hawks. It would be a cool way to encourage responsible social interactions and kind of have the feel of a black out. Imagine a crowd shot where everyone had matching masks on.
I would buy one right now and dont even plan to go to any games

Not going to punish any scholarship athletes that chose to sit the season out, but fans would lose their seats in the event they don't renew. Seems logical. Obviously i'm stretching this a bit as fans and players shouldn't be treated as equals, but the value of a scholarship in the event an athlete holds out is a hell of a lot more of an investment then honoring seat locations.

I can tell some of you guys didn't read the presser transcript that was posted. He said season-ticket holders would retain their seats from '19 if they chose to sit out '20.

Reading is fundamental. :D

I can tell some of you guys didn't read the presser transcript that was posted. He said season-ticket holders would retain their seats from '19 if they chose to sit out '21.

Well played Rob. Well played!!! But did you really mean if they chose to sit out '21? Or could that have been a typo? Proof reading can be fundamental as well. But definitely a great opportunity to call me out since I failed to read the article and posted based off what I saw in the thread.

Rob 1...Kicker22 0

I can tell some of you guys didn't read the presser transcript that was posted. He said season-ticket holders would retain their seats from '19 if they chose to sit out '21.

It’s amazing how many people let their personal feelings affect their reading comprehension. Morons!

Well played Rob. Well played!!! But did you really mean if they chose to sit out '21? Or could that have been a typo? Proof reading can be fundamental as well. But definitely a great opportunity to call me out since I failed to read the article and posted based off what I saw in the thread.

Rob 1...Kicker22 0

Typo. Fixed it. Guess there's some irony there. But the point stands!

Typo. Fixed it. Guess there's some irony there. But the point stands!

Very valid point and you still win. You pulled it almost word for word from the presser...which you got me to actually read rather than skimming over while I had been in hurry. Definitely glad I did. All in good fun anyway. But you were definitely right.

No, I had not yet read the complete transcript yet. I made reference to the KXNO interview which I did hear. And now it seems even more funny that he didn't clarify during the radio interview. Makes me wonder if he changed his mind in the last 24 hours.

It's also interesting that his initial comments during the presser needed to be clarified. In his initial statement, he makes it sound like if you renew but aren't allowed to attend, then you will be able to do so the following year. He didn't say anything in his initial statement about what happens if you choose to opt out for a season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.