Notes: B1G Disturbed By No-Call, Connor McCaffery Status Fluid

RobHowe

Administrator
Ailing Connor McCaffery's status remains fluid, defensive deficiencies, addressing officiating at Maryland, and more in this notebook:

LINK

Being as unbiased as possible there were several calls/no calls that ranged from highly questionable to simply egregious. The elbow to Pemsl, the T called on Cook, the no call on that Bohannon travel where he got fouled by two different Maryland players before getting called for a travel, and the Bohannon "foul" where he literally didn't even touch the Maryland player. It felt like the team gave up in the last 10 minutes when they realized the officiating wasn't going to give them any chance to win.

It was pretty bad. I'm very surprised that game didn't end with a free for all and somebody getting knocked out. The B1G should be very embarrassed right along with the Maryland players and coaches. If they want to bring in all international players on their team then they should teach them to respect the other team. This isn't the NBA!

Fran says he would have played Brady had he not got tossed. He just isn’t seeing what is so blatantly obvious this year. Sad.

The headline is a BIT misleading. The head of league officials maybe acknowledged that ONE call, a blatant elbow to the head, might have been missed, according to Fran. If there was a statement from Boyages saying the game was reviewed and the crew disciplined that would be my minimum expectation.

Liked what J BO had to say. Our plane got hit while sitting on the tarmac........no foul was called.

It was pretty bad. I'm very surprised that game didn't end with a free for all and somebody getting knocked out. The B1G should be very embarrassed right along with the Maryland players and coaches. If they want to bring in all international players on their team then they should teach them to respect the other team. This isn't the NBA!
Maybe they should be...but I'll guarantee you they aren't.

Ailing Connor McCaffery's status remains fluid, defensive deficiencies, addressing officiating at Maryland, and more in this notebook:

LINK

Rob, I have a question that maybe you have the answer or can find out from someone. That was a very poorly called game by the officials and after Fran got the second technical “what if” Fran at that point said that’s it I am bringing this to a head and to a halt. I am pulling my players from the court and forfeiting the game? Any idea of what the ramifications from that would be from the Big Ten office. I realize the BTN/ESPN could be affected from lost TV revenue, and the fans would have been angry getting cheated out of watching only half of a game. Do you think Fran would get hit with a hefty suspension and fine? Would the University be responsible for loss of TV revenue? Needless to say it would be HUGE sports news.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do it if I was a head coach and I felt my players safety was at risk.

Rob, I have a question that maybe you have the answer or can find out from someone. That was a very poorly called game by the officials and after Fran got the second technical “what if” Fran at that point said that’s it I am bringing this to a head and to a halt. I am pulling my players from the court and forfeiting the game? Any idea of what the ramifications from that would be from the Big Ten office. I realize the BTN/ESPN could be affected from lost TV revenue, and the fans would have been angry getting cheated out of watching only half of a game. Do you think Fran would get hit with a hefty suspension and fine? Would the University be responsible for loss of TV revenue? Needless to say it would be HUGE sports news.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do it if I was a head coach and I felt my players safety was at risk.

I hope this isn't a serious question.

The officiating was bad but I never got the sense that, as a whole, the Hawkeyes were in danger. Therefore, I don't see pulling an entire team off the floor as an option. It would have to be an extreme case where there was imminent danger, maybe where the crowd was involved or something like that.

The officiating was bad but I never got the sense that, as a whole, the Hawkeyes were in danger. Therefore, I don't see pulling an entire team off the floor as an option. It would have to be an extreme case where there was imminent danger, maybe where the crowd was involved or something like that.

Oh no I wasn’t talking about this situation as it would rank right up there with your typical MSU games.

I was just curious (IF) it happened where a coach felt there was a high risk of injury to his players what MIGHT be the consequences if he did it and later the Big Ten Conference determined it wasn’t justified?

Here's an example of what will get a game called off. This is the famous Minnesota-Ohio State brawl from 1972. Watch the video in the story for the start of the brawl. Can you imagine the response if this happened today?

http://www.startribune.com/hoops-brawl-made-for-one-nasty-night-in-u-s-sports-history/411419775/

Being as unbiased as possible there were several calls/no calls that ranged from highly questionable to simply egregious. The elbow to Pemsl, the T called on Cook, the no call on that Bohannon travel where he got fouled by two different Maryland players before getting called for a travel, and the Bohannon "foul" where he literally didn't even touch the Maryland player. It felt like the team gave up in the last 10 minutes when they realized the officiating wasn't going to give them any chance to win.

I sure got to that point. Good lord I don't want to watch a game like that again. I was pretty mad watching it. I couldn't imagine being any of them. Give our kids credit. They kept their cool a heck of a lot better then I or most would have. Especially JBo and Cook. That MD kid was just begging to start a fight with Cook. Good thing cooler heads prevailed

Latest posts