Not using your timeouts on defense - No Guts and No Brains

The announcers were talking about this last night on Sunday night football. One of them agreed that it is best to use them on defense because otherwise you have no control over the clock. At least on offense you can somewhat control the clock and the tempo. I agree 100% that you cannot sit by and let that much time run off the clock to try and save timeouts in that situation. When Ferentz decided to punt the ball he was putting faith in his defense to get the stop. If you are going to do that, you have to have faith they will hold for a 3 and out.

The way Iowa ran their 2 minute offense the week before it wouldn't have mattered if they had timeouts or not. Iowa took a fricking delay of game penalty in their hurry up. The offense is an utter mess and an embarrassment at this point in the season. I can understand confusion and mistakes a few weeks into the season with the new coach and scheme, but there is no excuse this late in the season. Especially with a 5th year qb and an offensive coordinator with 30 yrs of experience.

NFL game yes. College is different. The fact that the clock stops to moves the chains is the biggest difference. In the pro game, the only option is sideline routes to stop the clock. College you can still use the entire field, pick up the first and then kill then quickly kill spike the ball once the chains are moved. There are simply too many opportunities to control the clock in the college game and its inexcusable to think they play as big a role on offensive clock management then they do on the defensive side of the ball.

NFL game yes. College is different. The fact that the clock stops to moves the chains is the biggest difference. In the pro game, the only option is sideline routes to stop the clock. College you can still use the entire field, pick up the first and then kill then quickly kill spike the ball once the chains are moved. There are simply too many opportunities to control the clock in the college game and its inexcusable to think they play as big a role on offensive clock management then they do on the defensive side of the ball.

My point was that what the announcers were saying holds true in the NFL and even moreso in college because the clock stops on first downs. NFL teams can control the clock somewhat on offense but college teams can moreso.

It was a poor decision to not use the timeouts, but again I don't think it made a difference because Iowa's 2 minute offense is sad.

My point was that what the announcers were saying holds true in the NFL and even moreso in college because the clock stops on first downs. NFL teams can control the clock somewhat on offense but college teams can moreso.

It was a poor decision to not use the timeouts, but again I don't think it made a difference because Iowa's 2 minute offense is sad.

It might have made a difference because we only needed a field goal. Now if we needed a touchdown I would agree we had no shot. Of course since we couldn't stop them it made no difference.

Latest posts