Not Sure What To Think Of This Team--Yet

HawkeyeStout

I get the feeling because of our seemingly 50/50 Veterans/Complete Newbies, this team will have lots of highs and lows. They are capable of beating just about anyone (see Marquette game) and they are capable of losing to just about anybody (see Augey scrimmage). While I like the feeling as a fan of having a very good shot against teams like ISU and MSU, I'm also nervous for which Iowa team will show up on a nightly basis. Either way, it will most likely make for an exciting season!

Iowa is a bubble team and it could go either way. It's too early to tell and we won't know until February depending on how the season shakes out. That's where the program is now and it's not a bad place.

I think we make the tournament pretty easily this year. The two games we've lost, we've been ahead in the last four minutes. We have a higher RPI at this point than any previous year and that will only go up after Thursday. I see a 10-8 record in the B10, which means Gesell, Clemmons and Woody leave without ever having a losing conference record in four years.

I think we make the tournament pretty easily this year. The two games we've lost, we've been ahead in the last four minutes. We have a higher RPI at this point than any previous year and that will only go up after Thursday. I see a 10-8 record in the B10, which means Gesell, Clemmons and Woody leave without ever having a losing conference record in four years.

I agree, this is a veteran team than can really hurt you from the outside. Uthoff's confidence is really growing already, and Jok give us another scorer to play the ying to Uthoffs yang.

We've seen some nice surprises so far, e.g. Baer. Conference play will be more physical and that is my biggest concern. It seems we don't always handle more aggressive teams that well.

We also need to improve on defense, but luckily that is very coachable. The B1G likely not as good this year, so yes we will be in the tourney. I'm hoping for a decent seed.

Our starters have a ton of experience and play extremely well together IMO. I really like Wagner, Uhl and Ellingson and all 3 will only get better. By the end of the year Uhl and the freshmen will have improved substantially making this a deep and dangerous team IMO.

I'd agree that this team will have some serious highs (wouldn't be surprised if we beat a top 10 team once or twice this year) but also some extreme lows (an unexpected loss to a Rutgers or equivalent). The three ball will be the catalyst along with the play of our seniors. I think we will struggle with post defense and rebounding. The teams that have a dominate post player, expect lots of double teams, and hoping the other team has an off night from outside.

Uthoff is what drives this team, but even on nights when he doesn't want to shoot the ball, we have many other offensive weapons to pick up the slack. Jok is positioning himself to fill in for Jarrod Uthoff next year. Uhl is showing he is a versatile forward, who is being forced to play center this year. Ellingson and Baer have both been surprises, and deadeye shooters from the outside.

I just hope we don't peak too early in the season. I think an injury to Uthoff or Gesell could put this season in jeopardy.

I just hope we don't peak too early in the season. I think an injury to Uthoff or Gesell could put this season in jeopardy.

I would hate to see this team have to play without any of the 5 starters. The other guys need time to develop, adjust, etc. Take away any of those 5 for an extended time and it will cost us some games IMO.

The Big Ten is looking pretty iffy this year. So many teams with multiple losses. Granted, a lot of them have been to good teams, but a team like Michigan is getting trounced whenever they play a team with a pulse. Illinois is beat up and Ohio St. is still trying to find itself. If we can keep improving, and our young guys come through for us, don't know why we can't finish in the top 4 or 5. Maybe higher.

I'd agree that this team will have some serious highs (wouldn't be surprised if we beat a top 10 team once or twice this year) but also some extreme lows (an unexpected loss to a Rutgers or equivalent). The three ball will be the catalyst along with the play of our seniors. I think we will struggle with post defense and rebounding. The teams that have a dominate post player, expect lots of double teams, and hoping the other team has an off night from outside.

Uthoff is what drives this team, but even on nights when he doesn't want to shoot the ball, we have many other offensive weapons to pick up the slack. Jok is positioning himself to fill in for Jarrod Uthoff next year. Uhl is showing he is a versatile forward, who is being forced to play center this year. Ellingson and Baer have both been surprises, and deadeye shooters from the outside.

Yeah, this rhetoric needs to end.

Uthoff B1G and Power 5 ranks

Field Goal attempts per game T-2nd in B1G, T-5th in P5.

Games with most field goal attempts

Notre Dame - 16
West Illinois - 16
Dayton - 15
Wichita St - 15
Florida St - 14

Against Dayton, we had the ball with a chance to win and Jarrod took a contested three well behind the line with no hesitation. Jarrod being bashful has not been applicable for 1.5 years now.

Yeah, this rhetoric needs to end.

Uthoff B1G and Power 5 ranks

Field Goal attempts per game T-2nd in B1G, T-5th in P5.

Games with most field goal attempts

Notre Dame - 16
West Illinois - 16
Dayton - 15
Wichita St - 15
Florida St - 14

Against Dayton, we had the ball with a chance to win and Jarrod took a contested three well behind the line with no hesitation. Jarrod being bashful has not been applicable for 1.5 years now.

when he got here he needed to bulk up or he'd never be able to hang in the big ten. He's been fine.... then he wasn't aggressive enough, he's been fine ... He's currently the B1G's 2nd leading scorer this season..Remember White wasn't good either and couldn't hit a jumper to save his life? Maybe we'd be better if Mike Gesell wasn't here?

Sometimes you can't get mad at the general hoops IQ of this board but it's not going to stop some of us from pointing out some of the dumbest takes on the sport found on the internet.

I think we're better than last year. So I guess we're going to the sweet-16 and that's gonna rule.

With little to no physical presence and lower tier front court the basic strategy will be run-quick pass-chuck it-repeat to try to get into a shooting rhythm while wearing out the opponent. Offensively, limit the 1/2 court (no one's gonna break down the opposing D, let alone, overpower them.), keep the ball moving and get an open chuck, preferably early in the possession. With such a soft, porous interior D, gotta keep them on the perimeter, be opportunistic with active hands, make them shoot over and try to limit them to 1 shot.

Hawks will not out-muscle anyone and need lot's of possessions. Unlike the last couple seasons, where defense, rebounding and toughness could offset their poor shooting, this season, they need to be "on", every night. Especially against competent or physical front courts (Purdue, MSU, even NwU), where their only scoring options will be jump shots, and against the grinders (Wisky, Minny, Penn St), where possessions will be limited.

Latest posts