Not sure if anyone noticed this.

There is probably a wide range on most teams, but the lower level is not going to be pretty. And it has been that way for 100 years in college sports.

Actually, 100 years ago, this wouldn't have been the case. As soon back as 1947 only 5% of people over 25 held college degrees. These systems used to be far more selective and college sports were not a money making endeavor. Things have changed.

Very interesting thread. Full disclosure: I was a public educator for 40 years...now retired. With that being said: Right in Iowa City you have a testing service that is world class. The ACT has been for many, many years the single greatest predictor of success at the college level. I don't know what the qualifying score is for the U of I, but I know that athletes have to meet a standard via this test.

As to the comments about the education system in US: We are the most diverse country in the world; in educational rankings, that matters...a lot. We have a very large number of kids in poverty who attend our public schools. People can say whatever they want about our system, but the research is clear: The greatest predictor of success in the public schools is nurture, not nature. If you grow up in a dysfunctional family and/or in poverty, your chances for success are severely impacted in a negative way.

Finally, here is the American Dream: Every child in this country should be educated through the 12th grade and be able to read, write and compute and possess the "soft skills" at a level that allows for success in the adult world. Now be honest...is that goal going to be 100% successful? Maybe the normal curve should be applied to this "Dream."

This is a good start. Student athletes are in school to first get a degree.

Yeah I had a few beers before my post last nite and I may have shotgunned my blame on the problem. But I have a Masters Degree in Education, I have taught middle and high school some years ago, I was a Training Director and manager for 8 years, and I have been an adjunct college teacher for 15 years.

I can't begin to tell you how poorly prepared students are at all levels. A lot of parents don't care or make their kids strive to improve. For every one parent who wants more work for their kid there are 9 parents who dont care. South Korean parents were recently quoted as saying they want more homework for kids.

The story above about the girl from India is apropos.

This part is a big problem. I have a step-son who goes to a public school and two other children who go to a private school. My step-son never has homework while my other two children constantly have homework. It doesn't help either that kids are only in school for 4 1/2 days/week.

doc, I agree 100% that the problem starts in the home. However do you not think we are throwing and incredible amount of money into a system that cant seem to solve the problem. I have never worked inside the syatem as you have. But I would think a huge part of the problem would be disapline. When I was a kid and you got a spanking in school you knew you had a worse one waiting for you at home. Now days the parents head for a lawyer. I dont know what the awnser is but I think it has to start at the local school board level and not at the Fed. Gov level.
Very interesting thread. Full disclosure: I was a public educator for 40 years...now retired. With that being said: Right in Iowa City you have a testing service that is world class. The ACT has been for many, many years the single greatest predictor of success at the college level. I don't know what the qualifying score is for the U of I, but I know that athletes have to meet a standard via this test.

As to the comments about the education system in US: We are the most diverse country in the world; in educational rankings, that matters...a lot. We have a very large number of kids in poverty who attend our public schools. People can say whatever they want about our system, but the research is clear: The greatest predictor of success in the public schools is nurture, not nature. If you grow up in a dysfunctional family and/or in poverty, your chances for success are severely impacted in a negative way.

Finally, here is the American Dream: Every child in this country should be educated through the 12th grade and be able to read, write and compute and possess the "soft skills" at a level that allows for success in the adult world. Now be honest...is that goal going to be 100% successful? Maybe the normal curve should be applied to this "Dream."

That's such a BS comment. God forbid you place blame on our pathetic education system.

Why is that BS? It stands to reason if someone isn't ready to be a parent it could have adverse affects on the child's development including in the classroom. Nothing he said is much of a stretch.

How about requiring the ADs to post samples of academic work done by their starting athletes? I know there are all sorts of privacy issues, but I think it would be very interesting to see what some of these guys are really doing in their classes (in the Big 10 and the SEC). There is probably a wide range on most teams, but the lower level is not going to be pretty. And it has been that way for 100 years in college sports.

Wtf so you can read what they're doing in school like a 3rd graders parent? Hop the **** off creep

First, I don't think there will be testing going on so Delaney's comment isn't going anywhere. But, if it did, you will see the discussions for the NFL D-league start again. Universities(current NFG D-league) won't let the sports revenue go away so again, this will never happen.

Actually, 100 years ago, this wouldn't have been the case. As soon back as 1947 only 5% of people over 25 held college degrees. These systems used to be far more selective and college sports were not a money making endeavor. Things have changed.

College football has been related to fundraising for a long time. Michigan didn't build the Big House in 1920 because of academics!

Wtf so you can read what they're doing in school like a 3rd graders parent? Hop the **** off creep

Written like someone on the lower level of the academic spectrum. My point is that we shouldn't pretend that academic quality is such a pure priority even in the Big 10. It isn't just the SEC that stretches to keep players academically eligible. Even highly selective schools have admission slots for athletes who meet the minimum requirements but probably wouldn't otherwise be admitted.

Our education system is a little bit of an apples to oranges thing when comparing to the systems of other countries.

That being said, you could improve the college football system just by addressing the general education requirements in colleges. Create one GE accrediting body for the major conferences and have them check the curriculum and assessment of the different courses. Also, have tests scheduled for certain times when investigators could drop in or pull a particular athlete to test independently.

There are lots of things in these areas that can be done.

The SEC will just quit if it gets too tough. Remember CFA?
TV rules.

Anyone that read the expose by the former FSU professor who detailed how some FSU football players are damn near illiterate, and then turn in polished term papers that are clearly written by tutors or advisors, know that standards vary widely around this country.

Delany was definitely stomping around that conference using his huge power to shake up the NCAA also.
He reiterated that a Big 5 group of conferences breaking away from the NCAA is not off the table.
He conceded that the NCAA's viability is uncertain.
He says the new power division could be an answer, but many issues still remain.

Sorry, but I think it is time to seriously consider the 5 leagues breaking away, and creating their own rules.
Some must be to bring those SEC, ACC(FSU-style), and Big 12 schools into conformity on oversigning and academics.
Some are the stipend issue....must agree on a number.

Screw Emmert and the NCAA. This guy is a joke. Break away, and conduct their own football and bb playoffs.

Is there as set standard for minimum requirements? SAT / ACT score etc? Just need to have standardized requirements for entry. Let kids sign when they are Juniors and then the school can provide a tutor to help them pass ACT / SAT and with H/S cource work. At least that way all this college football money might be used for some good and the kids can get off to a ligitimate start in college.

Exactly. In many countries, kids are "weeded" out before they are 12 or 14. They may go on to such careers as baker's assistant, garbage collector, etc., but they are basically removed from the system.

"Liberal Studies" and "General Studies" are catch-alls for kids that either can't decide on a major, won't decide on a major, or don't know which graduate path they want to take :)

I got a Bachelor's in General Studies. I did it because it allowed me to take the courses that best prepared me for the next level. Went to law school on a half ride with that degree.

The Liberal Studies or General Studies degree is what you make of it. If you take easy courses, the degree is worthless. I specialized in Political Science, Business Administration, and Jazz Studies and it worked out pretty well and gave me a very rigorous undergrad education.

Well the notion of the "Student Athlete" is sometimes a misnomer. Some are schollar athletes invest themselves in school and some barely show up to do the minimum.

NCAA has minimum uniform standards for admitance. Some schools have higher standards than that minimum.

I have no doubt that some of these kids benefit from other people taking their SAT / ACT tests. In the Book The Cartel: Inside the Rise and Immanet Fall of the NCAA, Link the author shares a tutor's accounts of working with the student athletes. Its not uncommon for some of these players to be illiterate or read at a 3rd grade level. The author has a different agenda in the book but it was sad.

One thing is for sure College Football is entertainment and there is a lot of big money involved. If they hired the academic bar, you'll have more cheating or a lot of really good players will never make to campus.

One thing is for sure College Football is entertainment and there is a lot of big money involved. If they hired the academic bar, you'll have more cheating or a lot of really good players will never make to campus.

Which would be more than fine by me. I watch pro football to see pro football players. I watch college to cheer for my college team. I don't need all the guys to run 4.3. They just need to give me a well played, competitive game.

Latest posts