Not sure how it looked on tv but the D was....

DuffMan

.... inspired tonight. they ran to the ball well, they were extremely disciplined, and had a great game plan. NW had to claw for everything they got. Nothing was easy for them. In order to move the ball they had to execute nearly flawlessly. For a big stretch in thevb second and third quarter they did, but the D came up big when they needed to.

I agree..in looking at the raw stats, you wouldnt be impressed with the defense. But I was really impressed with their heart and toughness tonight.

One word: contain.

When we don't let opposing team's QBs do a ton of damage on the scramble, we are usually in good shape. It was evident from the first series that we were going to keep the edges and knock their QBs down whenever possible. Awesome stuff.

They did seem to be playing hard. Kinda seemed a little worn down in the middle of the game since the offense wasn't giving them any rest and the pick-six allow jNW to drive down the field twice. When they had breathing time they played well. You could tell the hustle was there.

Also I credit them for not letting the injuries get to them. That showed some character in adversity.

but even then you could tell it wasn't easy for them. they converted a ton of third and mediums by putting the ball in perfect spots. if any of this balls are a foot in a different direction and an Iowa defender would gave made a play. I guarantee you both if their qbs are going to spend a lot of time in the trainers room this week. they both took a TON of shots.

When NW busted out the double pass, I had a really good feeling about our chances. They ran through the whole play book and couldn't get that big play. That's how it's supposed to work.

One word: contain.

When we don't let opposing team's QBs do a ton of damage on the scramble, we are usually in good shape. It was evident from the first series that we were going to keep the edges and knock their QBs down whenever possible. Awesome stuff.

D-line did great here. Binns and Alvis/Daniel kept their lanes very well. Great games from them. Alvis had a few really hustle plays were he had to run laterally with Persa or Colter. Bigach also stepped up well and Daniels played well like he has all year. Bigach was a big part of the pick-six and of course Binns had the initial pressure. The subs also played hard.

D-line and subs may have made the difference tonight.

They did play very hard tonight. I also thought it was the best job of tackling we did all year and we needed that. We missed a few tackles but overall much better.

With Hitchens,Nardo,Morris all out with injury, it was a skeleton unit that had to hold the fort,and they played hard. As I said all week, Michigan could not stop Persa and co.either. When you get an athlete in open space,who knows which way he is cutting and a QB who knows where he is cutting,who is deal solid perfect in timing and placement of passes, it is virtually unstoppable. Persa only missed on a couple of passes all nite,really. He is a tremendous college qb,and I am glad to see him leave.

Good win,Hawks.

I got frustrated watching at times, but overall it wasn't bad. I think the one that had me pulling my hair was when it was 3rd and 3 from the 8, and Prater played off Ebert. He just let Ebert park himself on the sticks, wide open. All Persa had to do was see him and flick his wrist.

I can understand giving cushion, even against Northwestern, in the middle of the field. But why, inside the ten, would you let the receiver just sit wide open on the sticks?

But, overall it was a good game. I liked that I was seeing Persa on the ground an awful lot :)

On tv it looked like the Hawks D, especially the line, played with a lot more effort and heart. But they still need to figure out how to get off the field on third down. Accurate qb's have to be pressured, or they will convert 3rd and longs all day.

Persa made mistakes and looked human when they got any type of pressure on him. But, when able stand back and wait for a small window to open he made the passes. the 22ish 3rd down conversions prove that.

I'd don't have the answers but they need to scheme up something to get off the field more constantly on 3rd and longs.

The good news is that Iowa won't face an accurate QB until MSU. And he might be the last on the schedule

On tv it looked like the Hawks D, especially the line, played with a lot more effort and heart. But they still need to figure out how to get off the field on third down. Accurate qb's have to be pressured, or they will convert 3rd and longs all day.

Persa made mistakes and looked human when they got any type of pressure on him. But, when able stand back and wait for a small window to open he made the passes. the 22ish 3rd down conversions prove that.

I'd don't have the answers but they need to scheme up something to get off the field more constantly on 3rd and longs.

Fortunately we only have one more of those on our schedule. The Big Ten isn't exactly lousy with good passers this year.

Latest posts