Not sure how I'd handle a loss emotionally

I hope for the best (12-0), but would still be thrilled with 10-2 this year. I wouldn't mind getting through this week, then having a scare from Indiana or NW, just to keep our players in that mindset they need to fight every week.

I think UNI, Arkansas State and Michigan have been our best games, because it has kept our guys grounded.

I will say, I absolutely love seeing pics of Iowa players all over ESPN the past few weeks. Let's all soak it in, enjoy it, and hope for the best.

It is really interesting that this season is so exciting, yet so many people (myself included) are being so guarded in their approach. Those close wins have kept us all grounded. Nationwide nobody is buying in either as evidenced by the lines on the last to games swinging back towards our opponents. For this weekend I think we are the better team, but it is easy to see why this games feels a little like our game against Penn State last year. One thing I find odd is that Mich. St. has not sold out their stadium yet. Maybe there is not that much excitement in their fanbase and the stadium will be a little flat. Either way, GO HAWKS and once again go prove that an incredibly unathletic (tired of hearing that on TV) team can go on the road and win!

I love the Hawks, but you guys better get prepared. Prepare for every Clown, Husker and Illini fan you know to rub it in. Prepare for the letdown.

We're having a great year and we have a good team, but Ferentz always had bad luck in East Lansing, the Hawks haven't won in C-bus since the early 90's, NU beat us last year and Indiana has had some success against us recently. We could win out, but a lifetime of history of watching the Hawks suggests something will keep it from happening. Unless this really is the year....

Just reading this thread makes my stomach hurt a little. I really would be crushed if they lose...even though I know in my head we are still having a stellar year.

As a long time fan, remember the '85 season. Hawks were undefeated, I believe 6-0 going into the OSU game and got crushed. Wasn't prepared for that one. Anything can happen in the Big10. Everyone should enjoy the ride while it lasts. Different players this year, and tough mentality. I like their chances of extending their streak. They kind of reminds me a bit of (please exuse the comparison) tOSU in '02. Not real flashy on Offense, but several pretty good weapons, and a great defense that keeps them in evey game. We all know how that story ended. Go Hawks!

I love the Hawks, but you guys better get prepared. Prepare for every Clown, Husker and Illini fan you know to rub it in. Prepare for the letdown.

We're having a great year and we have a good team, but Ferentz always had bad luck in East Lansing, the Hawks haven't won in C-bus since the early 90's, NU beat us last year and Indiana has had some success against us recently. We could win out, but a lifetime of history of watching the Hawks suggests something will keep it from happening. Unless this really is the year....

ok debbie

Count me as one who expects the worst and hopes for the best.

I still think the Hawks are going to lose 1 or 2 more....possibly 3 (if they have a letdown somewhere). My prediction for the season was 8-4 (give or take a game). They should make that easily. The only hope I ever have for Iowa football is to make a bowl game. That is guaranteed at this point. Anything from here on out is just icing on the cake to me.

Yes, I'll be disappointed if they lose, but won't be upset.

This is precisely why I'm just trying to soak this in and enjoy it. This season has exceeded my expectations and it's been a blessing to even get to think B10 and NC.

If we drop a game I think that I will be grounded enough to be appreciative of the experience thus far and continue enjoying the season and supporting this amazing team.

I don't feel comfortable about a single game remaining on the schedule because this is Iowa and I've let them get the best of my emotions before. See Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Iowa State etc... This team is capable of losing any given game and winning any given game and I know that going in each week so it keeps my heart and mind in check.

Remember, everything up to this point has been unexpected and thus we should be thankful. I worry about the fans who now feel like they are owed something and that somehow going 10-2 would be a travesty and they would be calling for our coaching staff's heads. Just enjoy this because it might not last, and if it does, then suck every last drop out of it because you don't know if it will ever happen again.

GO HAWKS!!

We are Iowa fans. We went thru 19 straight non-winning seasons. We expect the worst while maintaining the optimistic hope for the best.

That said, there is no air of invincibility about this team a la the 1985 team. Chuck and co. were 7-0 going into an average OSU team in Columbus,and that loss was truly shocking. If we lose to MSU or OSU this year...not shocking. Losing to IU,NW or Minny at home? Shocking.

The good news? We can lose one to OSU or MSU and still go to the Rose Bowl. Yes, MSU and OSU could run the table and edge us out, but that is nowhere near a certainty. Even if we lose the Rose Bowl, we could go 11-1 and be a very attractive BCS bowl team that the Fiesta,Orange or Sugar bowls would love to get...so brace up,Hawk fans...try to enjoy the journey...as Phil Jackson always said, the joy is in the journey ,not the end.

Really the only games that scare me are this weekend and in Columbus. Yes Indiana gave Michigan a scare and beat Illannoy, but they are not a good team and at Kinnick, Iowa should absolutely ROLL them (yes I do remember the last trip IU took to Iowa City).

Northwestern has been very lackluster on defense as well this year and I think DJK will have 100+ and 2 TDs in this game.

And Minnesota, boy oh boy. Senior day, Kinnick Stadium, hopefully 11-0 (or 10-1), crowd will be NUTS. I don't see Iowa losing this game

Really the only games that scare me are this weekend and in Columbus. Yes Indiana gave Michigan a scare and beat Illannoy, but they are not a good team and at Kinnick, Iowa should absolutely ROLL them (yes I do remember the last trip IU took to Iowa City).

Northwestern has been very lackluster on defense as well this year and I think DJK will have 100+ and 2 TDs in this game.

And Minnesota, boy oh boy. Senior day, Kinnick Stadium, hopefully 11-0 (or 10-1), crowd will be NUTS. I don't see Iowa losing this game

This team SHOULD easily beat Indiana and Northwestern but we also SHOULD have easily beaten UNI and Arkansas State, not because they're bad, they're not, but because we are more talented than they are. I just know that we have a propensity to not do what we SHOULD do. Frankly I don't care if we win by 1 or win by 30 but I don't have any delusions that any of our remaining games will play out on the field the way they would play out on paper.

I started out the season thinking we would probably go 8-4. My "hope" was 9-3 and a trip to the Capital One bowl. I still think that should be considered a "successful" season. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake IMO.

It is really interesting that this season is so exciting, yet so many people (myself included) are being so guarded in their approach. Those close wins have kept us all grounded. Nationwide nobody is buying in either as evidenced by the lines on the last to games swinging back towards our opponents. For this weekend I think we are the better team, but it is easy to see why this games feels a little like our game against Penn State last year. One thing I find odd is that Mich. St. has not sold out their stadium yet. Maybe there is not that much excitement in their fanbase and the stadium will be a little flat. Either way, GO HAWKS and once again go prove that an incredibly unathletic (tired of hearing that on TV) team can go on the road and win!

Have you seen the forecast for Saturday night? Snow/rain/wind, low 30s.

I want to go all the way, and I'll be PO'd if they don't. But it's just a game, entertainment. I've got people around me suffering from hideous diseases, so perspective matters.

I want to go all the way, and I'll be PO'd if they don't. But it's just a game, entertainment. I've got people around me suffering from hideous diseases, so perspective matters.

Are you trying to that diseases like cancer are worse than Iowa losing a football game?

Ever since the PSU game i have been saying that of course it will be great if they keep winning but a loss or two is not the end of the world. That sentiment changes a little bit with every win but if you take a step back and look at the big picture even a 10-2 record and a matchup with a SEC team in the Cap One bowl would still be a helluva season.

With that being said a loss would probably put me in a "sports coma" for a good week or so. With each win the stakes and emotions get a little bit higher.

Lets just hope we dont have to find out!

Add another one to the prepare for the worst hope for the best list. Although the way things have been going, the worst is going to be alot harder to swallow as we keep winning.

I will be ok as long as that 1 loss doesn't come against Minnesota. If Iowa goes into that game only needing to beat Minnesota to play for the NC and lose...I don't even want to think about it.

Latest posts