Not Sold on our Defense yet.

TheOnePercent

Our defense is exceeding expectations, but I think the worst is yet to come. We're really selling out on single coverage. How many times did an ISU WR have us easily beat yesterday, but the ball was overthrown? Our defense is playing decently well, but we're having to gamble to do that, and we were very fortunate yesterday with ISU committing three TO's in our redzone.

Our offense is what it is. It will be one of the worst if not the worst in the B1G this year. If the ball doesn't bounce our way we could be looking at a 1 or 2 wins in B1G play.

The only thing I don't like about Iowa defense is that they rely on opponents to make mistakes too much.

But everthing else from getting 3 & outs, tackling is solid (not great), tighter pass coverage, strong effort, big plays, pressure on the QB are about as good as I could imagine considering inexperience up front and LBs built like kickers.

I believe the D has pretty much maxed out. They are doing about the best they can do.

Our defense is exceeding expectations, but I think the worst is yet to come. We're really selling out on single coverage. How many times did an ISU WR have us easily beat yesterday, but the ball was overthrown? Our defense is playing decently well, but we're having to gamble to do that, and we were very fortunate yesterday with ISU committing three TO's in our redzone.

Our offense is what it is. It will be one of the worst if not the worst in the B1G this year. If the ball doesn't bounce our way we could be looking at a 1 or 2 wins in B1G play.

Yeah. I said for awhile with Norm's scheme that I'd like to see us press the mid-majors and lower-tier B1G teams and make them beat us deep. Hopefully we adjust for the big boys, as they may be able to connect on some of the deep routes we're giving up now, but you know, I actually like our chances with this scheme of shutting down the 'lesser' opponents more (whoever that may be.

Regardless of scheme, though, we may be looking at some BIG point totals against us by MSU, Michigan, and Nebraska.

This team will be improved by B1G play. Will they be fighting for top spot, no. But the team we have seen the last 2 games will not be the same team later in the year. The D has played much better than most expected and there's no where for the offense to go but up.

The only thing I don't like about Iowa defense is that they rely on opponents to make mistakes too much.

But everthing else from getting 3 & outs, tackling is solid (not great), tighter pass coverage, strong effort, big plays, pressure on the QB are about as good as I could imagine considering inexperience up front and LBs built like kickers.

I believe the D has pretty much maxed out. They are doing about the best they can do.

Everyone on the DL is an underclassman, and they all have room to grow. The LBers are all playing well, with first year starter Hitchens showing some real potential, and Morris stepping up and hopefully is healthy all year long. The back 4 are very strong, and have been playing lots of man coverage, and holding up very well.

If you want to pick nits, you have all sorts of warts to pick on with the offense. The D might not play well in future games, but as far as the first two go, they have been lights out. They were the only reason we beat NIU, and they were the only reason that we even had a shot of winning the game on that last possession.

Maybe I should have been a little more clear with my "maxed out" comment.

I think they can get better too, as you said, a lot of young players on the DL.

When I said "maxed out" I meant they're are doing the best they can right now. Their best in a few months may be much better than what we're seeing now. It was meant as an ultimate compliment that they're playing to the best of their ability and giving max effort.

Maybe I should have been a little more clear with my "maxed out" comment.

I think they can get better too, as you said, a lot of young players on the DL.

When I said "maxed out" I meant they're are doing the best they can right now. Their best in a few months may be much better than what we're seeing now. It was meant as an ultimate compliment that they're playing to the best of their ability and giving max effort.

Gotcha....I totally agree with this. Love the effort the D has put forth in the first two games.

Latest posts