not a talented defense

rhawk8

ok. i was at the game. it was miserable, i got it. but can we just all except the fact that the defense this year just doesnt have the natural talent needed? i truly think it IS that simple.
i also think they knew this would be the case 2yrs ago....but planned on a powerful O. but then it was Wegher, Hampton, Robinson and all the "unforseen" variables that made this team so unbalanced.
i get it. the defense is vanilla. the offense play calling is suspect. but REALLY people? did you REALLY think we'd be in indy? i knew after the first freakin game we'd be at best 7-5, at best!!! just DONT have the talent

I agree 100% HOWEVER...this loss was on the offense (again). Even with 2 missed field goals Iowa should have put 40+ points up in this game. It doesn't appear to me that Iowa's offensive coaches have outright challenged the offense to carry this team. If they have then that is even worse because they haven't responded to the challenge.

I don't know how you statistically prove such a thing but Iowa under KF has to play to the level of their BCS opponent more than any other team in the Big Ten. While that can be a good thing against good teams it can be equally destructive against bad teams.

ok. i was at the game. it was miserable, i got it. but can we just all except the fact that the defense this year just doesnt have the natural talent needed? i truly think it IS that simple.
i also think they knew this would be the case 2yrs ago....but planned on a powerful O. but then it was Wegher, Hampton, Robinson and all the "unforseen" variables that made this team so unbalanced.
i get it. the defense is vanilla. the offense play calling is suspect. but REALLY people? did you REALLY think we'd be in indy? i knew after the first freakin game we'd be at best 7-5, at best!!! just DONT have the talent

Not sure why I quoted, given that the thread/post title says it all. Perfectly.

they ONLY emotion on our team came from Coker when he got in the face of the special teams and D trying to fire them up after our last score...i saw it, he was pumped. ....so lets not feed him when we need to?????? ridiculous. BUT if u people want a national championship program, get ready to be a dirty program. anny up alums. (haha) we run a clean program with good kids...this is what you get some years when you arent BUYING talent.
and im ok with that. down this yr...we will rise again!

I agree. Our front 7 is not good. We are far closer to IU and Minnesota in terms of front 7 talent than MSU, NE, OSU, PSU, ect... We really lack explosive players.

This is a major problem because our entire team philosophy is built on a strong defense. We can (and have) won with poor/average conservative offenses and strong defenses. We can't win vice-versa. Our offense scheme isn't going to allow us to consistently score, its a shell offense that limits mistakes and requires excellent execution. This is fine if your defense is strong.

KF and his staff have to recruit better or he won't be able to turn it around. We NEED explosive, athletic front 7 players. We keep shooting for these undersized guys, but really only three have panned out (King (fantastic), Klug (very good), and Kroul (good). We've missed on a ton of these other guys (Hopkins, Covert, Galigone, Bigach (below average), ect . . .). The 4 star recruits we've recruited to the DL that have stayed are Ballard, Clayborn, Roth, Mattison. We need more of those players. Talent is very important.

Then do you change the play scheme's to fit the level of talent? We don't have the pass rush we need to get to the QB so do we start jamming the receivers to throw off the timing? Send a blitz here and there? I'm not saying you do this on every down. We also need to get away from having linebackers cover receivers 25 yards down field. These ideas worked 8 years ago when the QB stayed in the pocket mostly, but not now.