Not a good first half down 38-29 at half

HaydenHawk56

Turnovers and not covering the open 3 shooters.

We are playing pretty tough around the basket, had some trouble finishing.

Turnovers and not covering the open 3 shooters.

We are playing pretty tough around the basket, had some trouble finishing.

Exactly right. They can overcome a 9 point deficit by reducing the TOs and identifying and getting out on the 3 point shooters. We'll see if they can get the job done in the last 20 minutes.

It was a poor closeout of the 1st half but overall it was better than anything from the last few years. I don't see the excitement over Cully Payne though. Cartwright may be the starting PG before too long. Cole needs to grow 6". McCabe is going to be a stud for us. Brommer has some nice post moves.

great start to the 2nd half....nice to see a hawkeye team come out of halftime and look like a team that made solid adjustments!

They started the transition in 2004, so they are fully D-I by now. They're FCS in football, like UNI.

Not a good opener. I think we win this game with Gatens in the lineup but you shouldn't need him to beat South Dakota State. Poor transition defense, poor defense on the perimeter, allowed way to many easy backdoor plays, too many missed shots in the paint, and too many missed free throws. Not a great debut for Fran but I think things will get better.

I'm tired of being frustrated with Iowa sports. I know we aren't supposed to be good this year, but come on. Sloppy ball handling, Payne looked like an eighth grader with the traveling to start the game, but it wasn't just him. I don't want to be that guy, so, May is good, McCabe is better than I thought, Marble will be OK, I root for Cole to be good, and brommer shows flashes, yes, he does. Very underwhelming today.

We improved. We were only outscored 41-40 the second half. This is one of the few positives I can take from this game. It will be a long big-ten season,:eek:

Not a good opener. I think we win this game with Gatens in the lineup but you shouldn't need him to beat South Dakota State. Poor transition defense, poor defense on the perimeter, allowed way to many easy backdoor plays, too many missed shots in the paint, and too many missed free throws. Not a great debut for Fran but I think things will get better.

They can't get worse, we lost. Of course I'm kidding because they could get worse and we've seen that in the past. We have a young team playing a new style of ball. It's going to take a few games for the players and coaches to make some adjustments. Cole simply isn't good enough or tall enough to be playing center at the D1 level. He gives us very little offensively and less defensively. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping on the kid because I think if he was playing the 4 he could do some damage but he's just not tall enough or coordinated enough to get it done in the middle. He doesn't intimidate the guards from penetrating into the paint. Brommer makes some really dumb mistakes defensively but can finish better than Cole.

I don't think Fran thinks for a second that we are going to be in contention for a title or a bid to a tournament so we might as well use this year to build skills for the next few years - that means Cole gets playing time but eventually he moves aside for the younger guys to get experience (Brommer, Basabe, McCabe). No way Archie comes back next year.

The interesting part will be who moves out of the starting lineup when Gatens gets back. I really, really liked what McCabe brought to the table and Basabe is too tall to not warrant real minutes. No way May is pulled as he is arguably our best player. So thats McCabe, Gatens, May & Basabe...do you start those four with Cartwright (or Payne) and just run the living hell out of team? That's pretty short but everyone of them has offensive skills. It will be interesting to see what happens in a few games.

The interesting part will be who moves out of the starting lineup when Gatens gets back. I really, really liked what McCabe brought to the table and Basabe is too tall to not warrant real minutes. No way May is pulled as he is arguably our best player. So thats McCabe, Gatens, May & Basabe...do you start those four with Cartwright (or Payne) and just run the living hell out of team? That's pretty short but everyone of them has offensive skills. It will be interesting to see what happens in a few games.

Good post; glad to see analysis rather than hyperventilation. Ideally, we'll look back at this game the same way we look back at some of KF's losses in the 1999 season.

Melsahn was really disappointing today, but I agree that you have to keep him in the lineup. Hopefully we can chalk it up to first-game jitters. I loved McCabe. Payne and Cartwright were brutal, though. Is putting Gatens at the point-- at least for limited stretches-- at all feasible, or is that just a stupid idea?

Latest posts