Not a blue chipper? Try Iowa

I would also like to encourage the blue chippers to try Iowa.

Go Iowa!

No doubt, the article title and angle seems to suggest that if you are a tweener you can make a name for yourself at Iowa and that Iowa specializes in it. Not a bad thing to hang your hat on but it would be fun to sprinkle in a few more of the more heralded guys. :)

I have never understood why the "blue chippers" don't look at Iowa and think that if the Hawkeyes can do what they do with walk-ons, 2 and 3 star players, think what they could do with the higher ranked players.

Maybe they know it takes hard work, and they don't have to work hard... they're "blue chippers"!

I would also like to encourage the blue chippers to try Iowa.

Go Iowa!

This would make so much sense. Yes, you can go to Alabama, Ohio St. or some of the other football factories. Yes, they will win a lot of games and go to bowls. And yes, they have a boatload of other blue chip players that you will have to compete with to even see the field. But if you are a true blue chipper and go to Iowa, you will also win a lot of games, go to bowls, play in a stadium full of rabid fans and most likely start your career very early and get the coaching that you need to have a long NFL career. It's a proven formula.

This would make so much sense. Yes, you can go to Alabama, Ohio St. or some of the other football factories. Yes, they will win a lot of games and go to bowls. And yes, they have a boatload of other blue chip players that you will have to compete with to even see the field. But if you are a true blue chipper and go to Iowa, you will also win a lot of games, go to bowls, play in a stadium full of rabid fans and most likely start your career very early and get the coaching that you need to have a long NFL career. It's a proven formula.

And freeze your *** off in the cornfield. I think that is what kills us the most when recruiting the blue boys.

I have never understood why the "blue chippers" don't look at Iowa and think that if the Hawkeyes can do what they do with walk-ons, 2 and 3 star players, think what they could do with the higher ranked players.

Maybe they know it takes hard work, and they don't have to work hard... they're "blue chippers"!

But does anyone become a blue chipper without working hard at your game? What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

But does anyone become a blue chipper without working hard at your game? What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Yes, I think that the high school blue chippers are often times so much ahead of their peers athletically that they don't necessarily have to work at their craft in high school. Blake Larsen comes to mind, but he isn't alone. Great kid, graduated, etc. but when he was playing the level of competition that Atlantic High plays, he could dominate just because of his natural athletic gifts. It didn't end up translating to college.

Yes, I think that the high school blue chippers are often times so much ahead of their peers athletically that they don't necessarily have to work at their craft in high school. Blake Larsen comes to mind, but he isn't alone. Great kid, graduated, etc. but when he was playing the level of competition that Atlantic High plays, he could dominate just because of his natural athletic gifts. It didn't end up translating to college.

Good point. I guess I'm inclined to believe two things:

A) Not all blue-chippers are lazy or prima donnas
B) Some non-blue-chippers can catch up via work ethic and eventually perform like blue chippers. I think we've seen that often enough with KF's program.

Yeah, I still think Iowa needs to try to get the best recruits it can (you can't win if you don't play), but "player B" above is typically the type of player that programs like Iowa need to identify.

And freeze your *** off in the cornfield. I think that is what kills us the most when recruiting the blue boys.
(1)Kirk Ferentz's offensive philopsophy is what is killing Iowa when recruiting the blue boys.... Three yards and a cloud of dust (so to speak) in 2014...
(2) Ferentz doesn't know how to coach the blue boys... he'd just as soon sit them on the bench... because his coaching philosophy is to not take risks... and any '2 star' player can play in Ferentz's 'uncomplicated' system..

Last edited:
(1)Kirk Ferentz's offensive philopsophy is what is killing Iowa when recruiting the blue boys.... Three yards and a cloud of dust (so to speak) in 2014...
(2) Ferentz doesn't know how to coach the blue boys... he'd just as soon sit them on the bench... because his coaching philosophy is to not take risks... and any '2 star' player can play in Ferentz's 'uncomplicated' system..

You need to work on your trolling....So much fail

Latest posts