Northwestern

bucksnducks

Watched 2nd half of their game with Mich. Northwestern defense was relentless - constant blitzing. But it was 31-0. so not sure how 1st half looked. Iowa OL is going to be tested . I would guess we would see 3 TE sets and some quick passes. Mich scored on ko return and int return for tds. Northwestern QB looks decent, going to have to play tighter man coverage then we did yesterday. I think Iowa's defense will have to get a lot of pressure on him.

This is the last team I want to play right now with how beat up we are. The whole season turns on this game, but I think CJs ability to make big plays will prove the difference.

If we can somehow beat these nerds we will be in really good shape for the home stretch. Minus playing our entire second team because of injuries that is.

This is the last team I want to play right now with how beat up we are. The whole season turns on this game, but I think CJs ability to make big plays will prove the difference.

The only thing a loss does is eliminates us from the playoffs. We still would have a good chance to win the west.

The only thing a loss does is eliminates us from the playoffs. We still would have a good chance to win the west.

Iowa would still have a shot to win the west, but Wisconsin's win yesterday gives Iowa little room for error. A loss to NW, and Iowa probably has to win out.

294324_5_.png

had to be done. Regardless unless the big 10 champ goes undefeated I don't think they make the playoffs. The conference is just too down this year IMO.

There is still a decent chance that the B10 Champ does go undefeated though. I'm not sure what you mean by the conference being "down". It's not great by any means, but there are a lot of good defenses in this conference. I'd argue the best conference in terms of defense is the B10. That's without looking at stats, but it sure seems that way.

Does anyone know the lowdown on NW? I know they have a good defense, but are they good all around? Do they have a bunch of guys out at a position?

Does Iowa need to do what they did in the second half against ISU and pressure the crap out of their QB or will he kill us with his legs?

Iowa would still have a shot to win the west, but Wisconsin's win yesterday gives Iowa little room for error. A loss to NW, and Iowa probably has to win out.

I think they could probably lose 1 more. Wisconsin isn't good enough to win 6 more games in a row.

Northwestern is going to bring the house every chance they get. That's how you beat Iowa. With the exception of a couple of well-executed screens to JC, we haven't shown an answer.
You run the risk of Canzeri popping through, like he did on his 75 yard scamper. But I think they'll take that risk.

I think they could probably lose 1 more. Wisconsin isn't good enough to win 6 more games in a row.[/QUOTE]

No one in the West really is. Iowa's schedule sets up nice, but it is difficult seeing them even do it.

I disagree they have to be scratching there heads trying to figure out what happened.With them losing all of the pressure is on them and with a rookie QB I think we can make him nervous.2 picks and 1 fumble,we beat them pretty bad last year now it's our turn to beat them at their place.Go Hawks

Does anyone know the lowdown on NW? I know they have a good defense, but are they good all around? Do they have a bunch of guys out at a position?

Does Iowa need to do what they did in the second half against ISU and pressure the crap out of their QB or will he kill us with his legs?

Frankly, it'll be a similar game plan as Illannoy.
-- NwU is better on D and will be relentless. Exploit their aggressiveness with TE's, Vandy-slants, Canzeri screens and designed CJ draws.
-- NwU is much worse on O. True frosh QB who's not very accurate. Not a statue but also not the typical "Persa" style NwU QB. Very good RB and an OL that knows their job and seems to always stymie the Hawks DL. I think Meier and Johnson will have big days, while King gets back on track for the single-season oskie record (currently 8), snaring 2.

As long as CJ can stay composed ... and in the game ... Hawks are the better team and should win, something like, 23 - 17 / 26 - 20.

Granted I only watched the 2nd half of the nw / mich game, but NW defense was INTENSE!!! blitzing and playing very tight man coverage.

Northwestern is going to bring the house every chance they get. That's how you beat Iowa. With the exception of a couple of well-executed screens to JC, we haven't shown an answer.
You run the risk of Canzeri popping through, like he did on his 75 yard scamper. But I think they'll take that risk.

We have shown the answer...we just haven't used it. We need to be screen heavy at jNW. I mean screen heavy. I agree that jNW is going to blitz like crazy because it minimizes the time CJ has to look deep. J. Smith is coming on and is now, at least, a legit deep threat.

I called the major NU loss:

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?71165-Hosts-on-BTN-Live-just-told-Hawkeye-fans-to

And mark my words, Thorson from NU will get absolutely punked by Michigan next week - that kid is gonna get murdered by a real defense and the wheels will come off the 'Cats, who look like the only other respectable team in our division.

Look, we are all going to curse Thorson in two years because he is going to be better than all those guys who have punked Iowa - Basanez, Kafka and Persa, but in terms of passing as of week 7 in the 2015 season, he is markedly worse than Lunt and the kid from Pitt with the stud WR. Northwestern's defense is okay, but they are dinged up and I think if we hit them in the mouth and have a close game in the fourth quarter, we will absolutely maul their d-line down the stretch and will win. The only way we lose this game is if Ferentz gets completely outcoached by Fitz, which anyone who was at either the 2005 or 2010 game in Evanston will remember is well within the realm of possibility, but we have a lot more talent than NU and should win this one.

I called the major NU loss:

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?71165-Hosts-on-BTN-Live-just-told-Hawkeye-fans-to

Look, we are all going to curse Thorson in two years because he is going to be better than all those guys who have punked Iowa - Basanez, Kafka and Persa, but in terms of passing as of week 7 in the 2015 season, he is markedly worse than Lunt and the kid from Pitt with the stud WR. Northwestern's defense is okay, but they are dinged up and I think if we hit them in the mouth and have a close game in the fourth quarter, we will absolutely maul their d-line down the stretch and will win. The only way we lose this game is if Ferentz gets completely outcoached by Fitz, which anyone who was at either the 2005 or 2010 game in Evanston will remember is well within the realm of possibility, but we have a lot more talent than NU and should win this one.

I really want to buy into this, but I am not sure if you are clowning dudes, trolling people or what. Really don't care, all I know is - if Iowa can generate a little bit of offense they can win.

I really want to buy into this, but I am not sure if you are clowning dudes, trolling people or what. Really don't care, all I know is - if Iowa can generate a little bit of offense they can win.

What makes you think I am clowning or trolling? I've been to every NU home game except for Ball State and I've watched every Iowa game on TV and was at yesterday's game. Our secondary didn't look so hot in person, but I think that it will be just fine against Thorson. I guess that aside from coaching, I could picture us losing the game due to wind. If there is a brisk wind and our offense sputters early and we have to go into a head wind in the fourth, we could drop it similar to 2010. But talent wise, we are absolutely better than Northwestern at virtually every position. They are coached very well on defense and play a disciplined game, but their offense is heavily reliant on misdirection run plays that Jaleel Johnson and our LBs will eat up. Based on what I saw from Iowa's offense yesterday, if we tighten a few things up in the red zone, I think we could win this game by 21. Illinois has some studs on that defense and we had poor execution in the red zone, but NU doesn't have the studs on defense that Illinois has (granted NU's middle LB is very good and Illinois's middle LB stinks) and Ferentz is typically good at improving execution week over week when we have a team that doesn't quit, so I'm optimistic for a blowout.

The lack of Ott is my biggest fear because even a freshman QB can beat our defense if he has a lot of time in a clean pocket.

We have shown the answer...we just haven't used it. We need to be screen heavy at jNW. I mean screen heavy. I agree that jNW is going to blitz like crazy because it minimizes the time CJ has to look deep. J. Smith is coming on and is now, at least, a legit deep threat.

Could not agree more. Best answer for constantly blitzing teams. Plus, your QB won't get drilled nonstop. Iowa actually has thrown some better screen passes than they have in the entire ferentz era.

Latest posts