Northwestern Game Info

My fondest NW game memory. Hayden Fry years when Iowa fans flooded the stadium, and were never disappointed. My kids sat with the Iowa band, because their school bus driver was a member.

To fire up the NW crowd, they brought in the famous “San Diego Chicken. The whole first half he was targeted by NW students to allow himself to be body passed, which he refused to do.

Then, late in the second half and Iowa with a huge lead, the Chicken gave in to the student section. He was passed, slowly at first, then faster from field level up into the stands.
As the Chicken neared the highest rows, a roar went up from the students, who chanted, “See if he can fly! See if he can fly!” The whole crowd went crazy. Got to love it!

My first Evanston game was at "Dyche" stadium, Oct 26th 1985. Got to see Chuck Long pass for six TDs on a glorious warm Sat afternoon in a 49-10 Hawk win. Sat on the visitors side. Probably a 5:1 Hawk/NU fan ratio.

The high-water mark that year as next week we lost @ OSU in the driving rainstorm.

My first Evanston game was at "Dyche" stadium, Oct 26th 1985. Got to see Chuck Long pass for six TDs on a glorious warm Sat afternoon in a 49-10 Hawk win. Sat on the visitors side. Probably a 5:1 Hawk/NU fan ratio.

The high-water mark that year as next week we lost @ OSU in the driving rainstorm.
That may have been the only game that year where the weather wasn't crappy.

It even rained for the ISU game. Houghtlin slipped on the opening kickoff and it actually turned into successful onside kick. Iowa then went three and out with players slipping all over the field, then frantically got longer cleats installed.

Other games, some of which I attended in person, were played in cold, wet, blustery, even snowy conditions. It made what Chuck Long accomplished that season even more impressive.

If you pay more than $5 per ticket it’s too much. One of the worst venues in all of college football. Feels like a high school game between two 1-7 teams.

Seriously, though. Don’t buy a ticket for more than a couple bucks. By the end of the first half you’ll be able to go sit a few rows up at midfield.
Going for the game and to visit my kid in Chicago. Yeah, it's a pretty weak stadium and gameday environ.
But...where are these $5 tickets you speak of? I'd love to save a few bucks.

Going for the game and to visit my kid in Chicago. Yeah, it's a pretty weak stadium and gameday environ.
But...where are these $5 tickets you speak of? I'd love to save a few bucks.
We always scalped em. Cheapest Hawkeye game tickets on StubHub are $30, I see the tickets to their Minnesota game are $6 on SH.

If it were me I'd buy the absolute dirt cheapest tix you can find, and by the end of the 2nd quarter you can pretty much sit anywhere you want. If the Hawks get up a couple scores early, it'll be sooner than that.

Latest posts