North Carolina-Duke to B1G?

I wouldn't bet it on this scenario either, but if you want to talk about those northeast households, then one would think Rutgers and Boston College would be the way to go.

Not sure if Maryland would also rank up there, being in the DC area.

The BB contract is PEANUTS compared to FB. All the BB money is in the NCAA tournament. If the B10 expands, it will be for the football tv contract and markets. ie., Nebraska.

You are only thinking one step ahead. Think 3 steps ahead. When the big schools leave the NCAA, then there won't be an NCAA tournament (not one that anyone cares about, anyway). If you want to have something of value to sell to TV to replace it, you'll need some basketball schools. I could see Duke dropping football.

You are only thinking one step ahead. Think 3 steps ahead. When the big schools leave the NCAA, then there won't be an NCAA tournament (not one that anyone cares about, anyway). If you want to have something of value to sell to TV to replace it, you'll need some basketball schools. I could see Duke dropping football.

Theres no way in hell Duke drops football. Their program is actually becoming something decent and football for Duke still makes more money than the Basketball program does.

With Duke being in a BCS conference there is no way they ever drop football. All they have to do is field a team and they are making money.

Theres no way in hell Duke drops football. Their program is actually becoming something decent and football for Duke still makes more money than the Basketball program does.

Just out of curiosity how do you know? I have yet to find public revenue information for Duke. I would argue Duke basketball is WAY more profitable than football.

UNC Football Revenue $17M
Expenses $10M
Football Profit =$7M
UNC Basketball Revenue $15M
Expenses $5M
Basketball Profit $10M

Last edited:
I don't sit and study this expansion stuff as much as some of you do but I have to think Mizzou and Kansas are a better fit than Duke and UNC for the Big Ten. Obviously a better geographical fit, state populations are about the same, (KS + MO = NC), and would add a geographical rivals for both Iowa, Nebraska, and Illinois. Not to mention, I'm sure they could be had if we wanted them. Not so sure about UNC and Duke. Regardless of if the $'s made sense I think it would be a tough sell for the people of NC to get excited about playing Big Ten teams compared to their natural rivals.

Just out of curiosity how do you know? I have yet to find public revenue information for Duke. I would argue Duke basketball is WAY more profitable than football.

UNC Football Revenue $17M
Expenses $10M
Football Profit =$7M
UNC Basketball Revenue $15M
Expenses $5M
Basketball Profit $10M

Just as the poster above you said, they will make money no matter what. They get paid to play teams like Bama last year, and they are on TV in ACC territory. They make enough money to where dropping football would never happen.

School Football Total Ad Revenue
25.Duke……………………..$9,029,583……………$71,072,431
Right here on this site: http://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/ncaa-top-revenue-producers

Maybe their basketball team makes more, but 9 million incoming is hard to pass up. But their basketball team costs more than any other NCAA team. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?15171-Forbes-Duke-Basketball-Value-Falls-Expenses-Rise-to-Highest-in-College-Basketball

Last edited:
Where do you get these crazy ideas? First of all, Syracuse is not in the New York city market. Penn State is actually closer to the New York metropolitan area than Syracuse. Another interesting tidbit, Iowa City is about twenty-five miles closer to metropolitan Chicago than Syracuse is to metropolitan NY.

Rutgers is a different story. The campus is about forty-five miles from downtown Manhatten. While pro sports may dominate, Greater New York contains almost nineteen million people. The Tri-State population is almost fifty percent larger than Illinois, the most populous state in the Big Ten.

Many of the residents of the area are Rutgers alumni & natives of the midwestern states. Just because an individual lives in New York doesn't mean they were raised in New York. New York is a great melting pot of people from all over the country. There are millions of Rutgers graduates & natives from the midwest in Greater New York.

Further, adding Rutgers to the Big Ten would guarantee that the late afternoon games & night games would be televised by ABC New York. Rutgers would be a huge financial bonanza to the conference's TV contracts & the BTN.

I'm also intrigued by the potential of Rutgers. In the 2009 NFL draft, 8 of the 32 first round draft picks played high school football in the state of NJ. Jersey has a lot of talent in state. If the B1G were to add Rutgers and start bringing big time crowds and big time money to Rutgers, many of those recruits may decide to stay home and Rutgers could quickly become big time. Given some success, it's not difficult for me to imagine NYC adopting Rutgers. I do recall the game against Louisville where the Empire State Building was lit up in Scarlet.

I'm also intrigued by the potential of Rutgers. In the 2009 NFL draft, 8 of the 32 first round draft picks played high school football in the state of NJ. Jersey has a lot of talent in state. If the B1G were to add Rutgers and start bringing big time crowds and big time money to Rutgers, many of those recruits may decide to stay home and Rutgers could quickly become big time. Given some success, it's not difficult for me to imagine NYC adopting Rutgers. I do recall the game against Louisville where the Empire State Building was lit up in Scarlet.

Few people realize that Rutgers is the state university of New Jersey. Unlike Syracuse, it isn't a private college. Rutgers' total enrollment is almost fifty-seven thousand or almost twice the size of Iowa. Further, as I wrote in an earlier post in this thread, Rutgers fits the Big Ten's academic model. Rutgers is a member of the Association of American Universities, which is important to the presidents of the Big Ten institutions.

People that quickly dismiss Rutgers have very little knowledge of or experience with Greater New York. Sure residents of New York are interested in pro sports, but isn't Chicago dominated by the Bears, Black Hawks, Bulls & White Sox.

Further, Rutgers would put the Big Ten right in the heart of Big East basketball country.

Latest posts