Norm's last year maybe?

This whole thread is winning....Norm is a great guy...but it's time to hang it up man. Take care of yourself and the program...we all know for a fact it's been a LONG time since a recruit got a visit from Norm. And we all know he cannot be putting in the hours required to gameplan.

How about mark stoops as coordinator? At some point you have to think one of the stoops brothers would want to coach at Iowa.

However, this year the Hawks are severely limited in personnel, which I can't put on Norm.

Why not? He's the defensive coordinator, which means he's responsible for ALL that happens on the defense: the recruiting, the play calls, the attrition, the successes and failures.

I love Hayden Fry. But there came a time to hang it up. It came out much later that he was battling prostate cancer his last season. Clandestine visits late at night to University Hospitals for treatments, it was amazing it was kept a secret for so long. Finally Coach Fry loved the program enough to let go.

Same with Norm. No secrets about his health- it's out there in the open. Love the guy. Great coach. Great man. Funny as hell. Players love him and he deserves the very best. But there comes a time to close the book and move on. Is this the time? - I could't pretend to know - I just hope HE does.

Not a chance. Kirk will promote from within...someone who will run THE EXACT SAME SCHEMES.

the only way we hire from without is if Kirk and Stoops are bigger buds than we know or if someone like Aiken comes back. this staff is built on staying the course, like it or not. i would bet that they just promote someone, though.

we haven't had a new OC or DC for what, 13 years now. then, and only then, will we find out just how much of it is controlled by Kirk or if they actually have some autonomy.

Not a chance. Kirk will promote from within...someone who will run THE EXACT SAME SCHEMES.

I doubt that. Ferentz has been concerned about Iowa's 'pedestrian' pass defense for some time. When asked about Iowa's pass coverage in a press conference last year, Ferentz mentioned the defense use the 3-4 defense to allow more athletic linebackers to cover the pass.

Also, IMO, Ferentz needs a stronger than Parker defense to back up the conservative playcalling he likes to call.

Last edited:
Is Norm doing all the play calling? It seems weird that he has been blitzing more than usual this season.

Either way he was a great coach, but its time to call it quits.

Its doubtful that the defense is going to be a top defense next year. The interior line might be better but we are losing Binns, Daniels, Prater, Neilsen. Hyde could make the jump if the opportunity is there.
A lot of freshmen are gettting some much needed experiance now, but, its doubtful that they will be dominate players as sophmores.

When Norm was gone last year Phil Parker proved he couldnt handle the duties either better cross our fingers they do not hand this broke d!$% D-fence to him itll get worse.

I hope I'm an idiot for saying this but I'd put the chances of 1) Norm retiring & 2) Mike Stoops taking over as DC at Iowa at somewhere slightly less than negative infinity.

We can only hope. Norm needs to limp off into the sunset.

Wow, how big of a classless pr*ck do you have to be to say something like that about a coach who has contributed so much to the Hawkeye Nation? Not to mention saying that about anyone with a serious illness that caused that disability.

Hey, come to think of it my friends 12 year old son was just diagnosed with leukemia, and even though he has been ill his football team supported him in playing out the end of this season before he has to start chemo and have a bone marrow transplant. Needless to say he struggled a little bit and may have not been the best player to put out there for a few plays and it could have been detrimental to the team. You got any witty one liners I can drop on the team at the seasons end get together?

Fool.

I doubt that. Ferentz has been concerned about Iowa's 'pedestrian' pass defense for some time. When asked about Iowa's pass coverage in a press conference last year, Ferentz mentioned the defense use the 3-4 defense to allow more athletic linebackers to cover the pass.

Also, IMO, Ferentz needs a stronger than Parker defense to back up the conservative playcalling he likes to call.

He can't be too concerned....if he was, changes would have been made. Instead it is the same stale defense.

He can't be too concerned....if he was, changes would have been made. Instead it is the same stale defense.

Please don't go there with talk that KF can't be to concerned or change would have been made. Seriously it doesn't show much smarts on your part. Why because this is year 2 of struggles by the Defensive, up until then I've never had to worry about this Norm lead Defense.

Please don't go there with talk that KF can't be to concerned or change would have been made. Seriously it doesn't show much smarts on your part. My concern is the back to back years of struggles by the Defensive, up until then I've never had to worry about this Norm lead Defense.

Ding ding ding. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Latest posts