Norm Parker..

Jonesy86

I miss you. I really, really miss you Norm. I understand that your health and well being come first, and I wish you a speedy recovery, but this team really needs you. All year, we had three coaches doing the job of four. Obviously, with you gone, the other three couldn't quite keep up with all the tasks needed to be done. The special teams unit must not have gotten the attention they deserve. Some of the defensive players must not have gotten the attention they deserve. And clearly, the defense as a whole didn't receive the motivation they deserve. You, Norm, are a big part of this program's success.

You, Kirk Ferentz, and even Ken O'Keefe are brilliant. Your system and style of play has obviously allowed for a lot of success. You all do a wonderful job at developing talent. But, this is the ultimate team sport; on the field, and with the coaches. The coaches must all work together as a team to win games. A key piece was missing this year: You.

There are far too many fans out there jumping ship. To them the sky is falling. They feel you need to change your coaching philosophy. This couldn't be further from the truth. You need to keep doing everything you've been doing over the last 12 years. But please, don't abandon us.

I know, I know, I'm sounding very selfish right now. I apologize. I couldn't imagine struggling with the health problems that you do. So perhaps, I should just end my long winded comments now.

Perhaps next year's the year.

I miss you. I really, really miss you Norm. I understand that your health and well being come first, and I wish you a speedy recovery, but this team really needs you. All year, we had three coaches doing the job of four. Obviously, with you gone, the other three couldn't quite keep up with all the tasks needed to be done. The special teams unit must not have gotten the attention they deserve. Some of the defensive players must not have gotten the attention they deserve. And clearly, the defense as a whole didn't receive the motivation they deserve. You, Norm, are a big part of this program's success.

You, Kirk Ferentz, and even Ken O'Keefe are brilliant.

I agree with the first part, the second?

I can't recall a D 1 program that has gone an entire season without a defensive coordinator before Iowa this year. I am sure the reason I can't recall that happening is because if a team did have that happen, they probably weren't very good.

But, in contrast to your heartfelt sentiment, I feel like having a senior citizen in a wheelchair, who is missing a leg, and fighting advanced diabetes is not the way to go if you want to have the most successful D. I remember the days of Norm walking around in practice and correcting mistakes in positioning, joking with players, etc. Just can't see it with Norm sitting in a wheel chair at the practice facility and having the same impact.

I to like Norm. He has done an excellent job at every school he has been to. That being said, I believe KF needs to make the tough call and let him go. Its not good for Norm to try and battle this disease and try to get back to coaching. It doesn't help our program either being a coach down trying to prepare every week. I believe its time to move and hire a different coordinator. Its best for everyone.

I'm as upset as anyone with this recent loss, but I can't believe people aren't behind Norm 100% in whatever he wants to do. This guy has been a dominant coach for the Hawkeyes and even if you don't like his style you can't argue with the results he's consistently achieved.

Kirk has way to much class to force Norm out and I'd lose a ton of respect for him if he did. When it's all said and done we're talking about a game guys. Norm will teach football and set an example of how to attack life's adversities that the team members will be able to use for years.

After all Norm has given to Iowa to call for his head when he's in this situation is very disappointing to this Iowa fan.

Sorry, but that is a losing attitude. It is what keeps tenured professors who have no business being inthe classroom anymore stealing tuition dollars, it is what makes Congress and the Senate not work when guys like Strom Thurmond and D. Byrd keep getting re-elected even after they have lost any ability to be effective legislators.

KF gets paid an enormous amount of money to make tough decisions, not to put one person's emotional well-being before the well-being of the entire team.

Last edited:
Nrom Parker needs to retire as a football coach and get an administrative job within the athletic department. Hell he'd be a GREAT fundraiser.

It's not that he is washed up, it's that with diabetes, things don't generally get better, especially when you've already had severe complications and you're pushing 70.

By bringing Norm back, KF is taking on a HUGE risk in the most important and fragile year of Iowa football in a long time that he is able to be around for the entire year.

I don't think he will be able to and for that reason, alone Norm needs to move on.

I'm as upset as anyone with this recent loss, but I can't believe people aren't behind Norm 100% in whatever he wants to do. This guy has been a dominant coach for the Hawkeyes and even if you don't like his style you can't argue with the results he's consistently achieved.

Kirk has way to much class to force Norm out and I'd lose a ton of respect for him if he did. When it's all said and done we're talking about a game guys. Norm will teach football and set an example of how to attack life's adversities that the team members will be able to use for years.

After all Norm has given to Iowa to call for his head when he's in this situation is very disappointing to this Iowa fan.

Joe Pa ain't doing PSU any favors by hanging on. VERY selfish.

I think he retires after this year, from seeing his attitude, I do not think he could deal with not being involved 100%. I could see him as a special advisor or something, but to hard to have the impact with all of his health concerns. KF will not fire him, maybe convince him it is time to retire, but firing one of the best D Coordinators mainly due to health concerns is a classless move that will not happen.

KOK on the other hand, I could see him being shown the door (I know I know, he only calls the plays KF wants him to).

KOK is KF's best friend. Only way KOK leaves is if we get lucky and some little team tabs him as a HC and KOK just decides he is tired of being the team's scapegoat for bad coaching decisions. (understand there are reasons most scapegoats end up being just that).

I, however, find it funny that people say a coach shouldn't be replaced for health reasons. Do you play a QB with a broken arm, or a RB with a torn ACL? What if you are a pro team and a player has had too many injuries to keep performing? Do you let him take up a roster spot?

I really think Iowa needs to get the Norm situation dealt with by the Bowl game. If Norm can effectively coach that game, fine. Keep him on. But, if not, you can't go into signing day with that type of uncertainty. It needs to be perfectly clear that you have a healthy and capable DC by that point. Barta should make this abundantly clear.

Last edited:
I agree with the first part, the second?

I can't recall a D 1 program that has gone an entire season without a defensive coordinator before Iowa this year. I am sure the reason I can't recall that happening is because if a team did have that happen, they probably weren't very good.

But, in contrast to your heartfelt sentiment, I feel like having a senior citizen in a wheelchair, who is missing a leg, and fighting advanced diabetes is not the way to go if you want to have the most successful D. I remember the days of Norm walking around in practice and correcting mistakes in positioning, joking with players, etc. Just can't see it with Norm sitting in a wheel chair at the practice facility and having the same impact.

I think Norm should do whatever makes him happy. If he is happiest when he is coaching, then he should definitely be allowed to. I mean, there is no reason that Norm can't be moving around in his wheelchair or on prosthetics at practice and I am sure he can still correct mistakes and joke around with the players. Life doesn't have to stop for handicapped people anymore, he lost his foot, not his brain!

Sorry, but that is a losing attitude. It is what keeps tenured professors who have no business being inthe classroom anymore stealing tuition dollars, it is what makes Congress and the Senate not work when guys like Strom Thurmond and D. Byrd keep getting re-elected even after they have lost any ability to be effective legislators.

KF gets paid an enormous amount of money to make tough decisions, not to put one person's emotional well-being before the well-being of the entire team.

Yeah, and it's all about the money & winning. That should definitely come before a loyal coaches well being. I have lived in Iowa my entire life and was brought up to put other people's feelings, well being, etc... before my own and I have always been proud to believe that this is the way the majority of Iowan's are. It's really disappointing to me that some of you put winning before anything else. If I were a coach or player reading messages like these, I would not want to play or coach here. Norm has been a loyal, well loved coach here for a long time and I am proud of Kirk for having his back. Not too proud of a lot of Iowa fans, however.

There's no doubt a lot of programs would look to make a move. I personally don't think that Norm deserves that and in my view he's earned the right to make his own choices.

People who disagree with the defensive philosophy will be among those who feel its time to move in a different direction, but I really wonder what his players would say. I'd guess you'd find some guys who are very loyal to Norm and appreciate what he has done to make them better football players and people.

We certainly were not better with Norm functioning in a very limited role this year. One can look at that as a reason to make a move or as a prime example of what he can mean to the team when he's able to do the job. I trust Norm cares enough about the program to do whats best for the Hawks as well as himself.

We have no trouble standing behind a recruit that is injured and may not be the guy we thought we were getting. To not give a man who has years of solid contribution to the program that same consideration is wrong. I'd guess our attorneys may have an issue with it as well.

Let's remember the last full game plan / practice week Norm was involved in.... Orange Bowl and the total control of a prolific Ga. Tech offense. Any way Norm can be involved in that type of capacity then he should be allowed. Do agree w/ those who have watched (as have I) Norm in practice and correcting alignments, keys, etc. and keeping things a little loose when position coaches cranked it up.

I don't necessarily believe Norm should stay with the program. I just think he's either here 100% or he's not. I doubt the University would allow Kirk to fire him, because it would only be on the grounds of health issues. Isn't that illegal? EOE and what-not? So it would have to be forced retirement.

Another thing: Why does everyone assume he'd be in a wheel chair? With that kinda money he could get a bionic foot.