Norm Parker Named AFCA Assistant of the Year

retire or fire!! time to clean house! no passion! systems outdated! kids don't relate! and for goodness sakes BLITZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't Danny Langsdorf a finalist for that award?

He's Oregon St's OC.

Oregon St's offensive numbers this year:

Total offense - 69th
Scoring offense - 98th

Makes sense to me. Here is the write-up...

The Winners
Football Bowl Subdivision
Norm Parker, Defensive Coordinator, Iowa: Parker has been coaching football for 46 years, the last 13 at Iowa ... Parker has helped with many Special Olympic events in Iowa, and also participated in charitable events for Goodwill Industries and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation ... Parker is chairman of the Mayor’s Youth Annual “Festival Event,â€￾ which takes places on the first Saturday in May in Iowa City ... Parker has coached 38 players who have gone on to play in the NFL, and was rated the No. 1 defensive coordinator by Rivals.com in 2009 ... Under Parker’s direction, the Iowa defense has been ranked among the Top 10 in the nation in rushing defense five times, and was ranked in the Top 10 in scoring defense in each of the last three seasons (2008-10) ... Parker’s defense finished fifth nationally in total defense in 2010, allowing 332.1 yards per game.

A great honor for a great man.

I'd love to see him stay part of the program long-term. Ideally, he could transition into an advisory role (defensive quality control?), and Kirk could bring in a new coordinator and tireless recruiter (Aiken).

The football program is stronger with Parker as part of it. I don't see him eventually transitioning into a position with the AD's office. I think if he is coming to work, it'll be as part of the football team. I think Parker will choose to be around football teams in some capacity as long as he can.

So this award isn't based on performance this season. Or last season for that matter. I think we all need to be clear on that.

I love Norm Parker. I really, really do. He should stay with the football team in whatever capacity suits him best. All of that said, I'd love to see us go outside of the program and find a guy with fire in his belly.

I love Norm Parker. I really, really do. He should stay with the football team in whatever capacity suits him best. All of that said, I'd love to see us go outside of the program and find a guy with fire in his belly.

You want a DC with a gas problem? After sushi I have fire in my belly and mud comes outta my a**, does that qualify me?

WARNING!!!!!!!

THIS IS A VIRAL THRED!

If you type "Norm Parker Named AFCA Assistant of the Year" into google it will literally shut down the internet.

Serious though it might be a good idea that you go out on top.

Congrats to Norm - this is well deserved. I think that it's clear that this IS a lifetime achievement award rather than based on the present year - so stop whinning haters. Norm has been a terrific coach for a long time. Take the long view folks.

Congrats to Norm - this is well deserved. I think that it's clear that this IS a lifetime achievement award rather than based on the present year - so stop whinning haters. Norm has been a terrific coach for a long time. Take the long view folks.

Yep it's a lifetime award and now it is time to retire. It's not like the guy is being kicked out on the streets. He has made a comfortable living, and will be treated like a king in IC.

Latest posts