Norh Carolina deserves the death penalty.

Yeah, if they don't have what it takes to do that to a school/program that did little if anything to stop a child rapist, I doubt that they do anything about academic fraud.

Yeah, if they don't have what it takes to do that to a school/program that did little if anything to stop a child rapist, I doubt that they do anything about academic fraud.

Considering they didn't really have sound reasoning based in the bylaws to do what they did to Penn State, I wouldn't use that as your barometer in this case. They gave PSU stiff penalties because it's what they deserved, but there was nothing in the bylaws that covered anything like that situation.

Considering they didn't really have sound reasoning based in the bylaws to do what they did to Penn State, I wouldn't use that as your barometer in this case. They gave PSU stiff penalties because it's what they deserved, but there was nothing in the bylaws that covered anything like that situation.

I look at that as a situation that demands harsh action, more so than what they received. I feel like they got off extremely easy, especially after the sanctions were lifted. This has been debated enough though. I just don't see the NCAA coming down with the hammer of the gods on UNC because they're UNC. Also, this went on for 18 years. It makes the NCAA look more incompetent than they already are.

Exactly. Dodd points out exactly why the death penalty should be handed down in this particular case:

'Wainstein, a former US Dept. of Justice official, called the paper classes "corrupted" versions of legitimate teaching.

And if there is no legitimate teaching, there is no educational mission. If there is no educational mission, there is no NCAA.

That's why the association must come down hard.'

Of course he also realizes that it will never happen.

I gotta wonder if we aren't looking at the beginning of the end of the NCAA. Especially if they give unc a mere scolding and a timeout.

They seem to have become just another corrupt, self-serving bureaucracy. We'll see........

I think the autonomy ruling was the beginning of the end of the NCAA. That's why they didn't hand down harsher penalties on the SEC years ago - because they were afraid they would just break off and police themselves. Well they did it anyway.

In the 2 plus years the NCAA will be investigating we'll hear all about the great lengths UNC has gone to re-establish itself as an institution of higher learning, UNC will give itself a 1 year bowl ban. The NCAA will come down with a fine, loss of 2 scholarships and the NCAA will be patting themselves on the back for harsh punishment yet leaving UNC the opportunity to re-build their athletic teams. NCAA is as corrupt as American politics.

I think the autonomy ruling was the beginning of the end of the NCAA. That's why they didn't hand down harsher penalties on the SEC years ago - because they were afraid they would just break off and police themselves. Well they did it anyway.

Might be interesting if its like Penn St where players could transfer immediately with no penalty.

They don't have the balls to do squat. The NCAA works on the behalf of the schools, not the other way around.

This should be interesting as it plays out.

I personally get sick and tired of the suits (college, NCAA, etc) stating...

"Student/athlete this, student/athlete that." Sure, maybe back in the 50's....certainly now now...but I digress.

Well, gawdammmit, if the sacred student part of student/athlete is so damned important, here's the chance to step up show just how important it is.

But something tells me losing an NCAA BB blue-blood over a mere academic issue will happen, oh, as soon as the Cubs win the world series.

Latest posts