No Way, We Just Lost The Original Lily

With both of those women on a deserted island for years, the old rumor that Gilligan and the Skipper were gay must have been true. Hell, we might as well throw the professor in there, too.

Thurston Howell III had Lovey, but you can't tell me his eye didn't roam from time to time.

Maybe Ginger and Mary Ann were gay? You can thank me for that mental image later... :>)

Hey if you fellas want to give me Ginger I am good with that!

But in all seriousness, rest in peace Dawn Wells.

The show itself was a classic example of a sitcom that tanked during its original network run, was raked over the coals by critics, then became a syndication classic.

Network executives could be more patient with TV programs back in those days. There was no competition from cable networks. Today that show wouldn't last one season.

I think it's original run was three seasons. But if you were to make a Mount Rushmore of shows that cashed in via syndication, Gilligan's Island would probably be on the mountain. You could easily find it on TV well into the nineties.

Hogan's Heroes was similar, but I think it ran longer and was much better received by critics.

The show itself was a classic example of a sitcom that tanked during its original network run, was raked over the coals by critics, then became a syndication classic.

Network executives could be more patient with TV programs back in those days. There was no competition from cable networks. Today that show wouldn't last one season.

I think it's original run was three seasons. But if you were to make a Mount Rushmore of shows that cashed in via syndication, Gilligan's Island would probably be on the mountain. You could easily find it on TV well into the nineties.

Hogan's Heroes was similar, but I think it ran longer and was much better received by critics.
Also interesting, the show ended without a tidy conclusion. A 4th season was planned (including a rescue episode), but it abruptly ended with them stranded.

It joined a host of other programs that "ended" abruptly without closure. Including: I Dream of Jeanie, Heroes, Halt and Catch Fire, etc.

Always loved Mary Ann. Shows like Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, Jeannie, Hogan's Heroes and The Partridge Family were embedded in my youth. And, of course, I have to give a shout out to The Dr. Max Show.

In terms of bouncing back from failure, the original Star Trek surely wins the prize. Abruptly cancelled after 3 seasons, the show became a cultural sensation in syndication, and spawned an uncanny number of spin-offs and movies. Probably the most successful franchise in TV history.

The Professor and.....

Attachments

• 7a8bc1d3-a36a-4856-aaf2-5464a304f92b-002_XXX_D02G1MARY05_6P3X10LINES.JPG
    7a8bc1d3-a36a-4856-aaf2-5464a304f92b-002_XXX_D02G1MARY05_6P3X10LINES.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 1
Also interesting, the show ended without a tidy conclusion. A 4th season was planned (including a rescue episode), but it abruptly ended with them stranded.

It joined a host of other programs that "ended" abruptly without closure. Including: I Dream of Jeanie, Heroes, Halt and Catch Fire, etc.

The did make a movie (Rescue from Gilligan's Island) in 1978 where they were rescued. Of course, by the end of the movie, they were stranded ... on the same island! :)

MV5BMTMwMTYzNjY2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQ0OTUyMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR100,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Latest posts