No, this wasn't the performance any of us was hoping for...

UP6936

...and it is definitely disappointing that the Hawks didn't look better against an inferior opponent, but there are still many positives that were seen today.

This team is still learning how to win. Still way too many dropped passes. They made too many costly, bad penalties that killed drives and prevented scores, despite the fact that they were racking up the yards. I think that if they hadn't made so many killer penalties, this would have been the blowout we were are looking for.

But I saw some really good things. I think Rudock is going to be one heck of a good QB. He is really smart, makes quick and good decisions and has some wheels, as well. Yes, he threw a pick six, but come on, this is still just his second college game ever. He is still going to have growing pains. The offense actually responded, though, and answered with 6 points after the pick six. That never happened last year.

Hey! We have tight ends! Really good tight ends! Greg Davis finally discovered this!

While I didn't think they would be struggling quite this much, I knew that this team would be a work in progress in the first half of the season, especially with no QBs with any experience at all. Coming off of a 4-8 season and 6 consecutive losses to end last season, the team had zero momentum coming in and had to relearn the practices and habits that make teams successful, that get them over the top.

We are all fatigued by the disappointments and flat out embarrassments experienced over the last few seasons and we carry that baggage with us as we view and ***** this current team. Although this team is still a long way from where we all want, and maybe even expect, Iowa football to be I would thing that even the most bile-spewing Ferentz haters have to admit that this is a better team than it was last year... and getting better.

As a Hawk fan and Kirk backer...

this just doesn't fly anymore.

Why didn't TE Vandeberg get more passes?
They say that all he does is catch passes in practice, and he caught every pass in the game.
With Oglesby, they say all he does is drain 3s in practice, but missed 4 out of 5 3s in games.

I am just not sure what the offense is trying to do. We don't seem to take advantage of players that we have (which seems to be a theme in KF offense).

As a Hawk fan and Kirk backer...

this just doesn't fly anymore.

I definitely know where you are coming from. I have been a Kirk backer in the past as well, but I have had just about enough of his act as well. But the bald fact is that he will absolutely not be fired at any point in this season and it would take at least another 4-8 season this year for him to not return next year, but I still think he would return for 2014.

This team isn't where we want it but it IS better and it IS making progress. Will that translate into more wins or a bowl game? Who knows. Time will tell.

I guess the way I am made, I just can't stand being sour and pessimistic all of the time. I just can't and don't want to live my life that way.

Would I prefer a new direction in the Iowa Football program? I can't lie. I think I would. But it ain't gonna happen any time soon, and if I see something positive happening with my team, and I definitely do, I am going to run with it.

I definitely know where you are coming from. I have been a Kirk backer in the past as well, but I have had just about enough of his act as well. But the bald fact is that he will absolutely not be fired at any point in this season and it would take at least another 4-8 season this year for him to not return next year, but I still think he would return for 2014.

This team isn't where we want it but it IS better and it IS making progress. Will that translate into more wins or a bowl game? Who knows. Time will tell.

I guess the way I am made, I just can't stand being sour and pessimistic all of the time. I just can't and don't want to live my life that way.

Would I prefer a new direction in the Iowa Football program? I can't lie. I think I would. But it ain't gonna happen any time soon, and if I see something positive happening with my team, and I definitely do, I am going to run with it.

Might I suggest sarcasm? It beats the p!$$ outta wishful thinking.

It's the coaching and schemes. Yes we look a little bit better running this offense compared to last year. The problem is this offense is horrible and has no place at Iowa. It MIGHT work at schools with speed, but Iowa doesn't have speed, and the players that appear to have it, aren't playing.

I am just not sure what the offense is trying to do. We don't seem to take advantage of players that we have (which seems to be a theme in KF offense).

KF does an excellent job taking advantage of Shumpert's inability to catch the football.

Why didn't TE Vandeberg get more passes?
They say that all he does is catch passes in practice, and he caught every pass in the game.
With Oglesby, they say all he does is drain 3s in practice, but missed 4 out of 5 3s in games.

He didn't play more because he is a true freshman former gray shirt who only weighs 170 pounds and there are more developed and experienced upperclassmen that have earned the playing time. Also, he is a WR, not a TE.

Iowa needs a sugar-daddy benefactor like Oregon or Okie St. and just pony up the cash for the buyout and to find a coach with fire in his belly.

He didn't play more because he is a true freshman former gray shirt who only weighs 170 pounds and there are more developed and experienced upperclassmen that have earned the playing time. Also, he is a WR, not a TE.

Yeah, we can't have these young guys out there making plays showing up the upperclassmen. The guy catches two straight passes, makes a nice move on the second to gain extra yards and then is relegated to the bench.

Yeah, we can't have these young guys out there making plays showing up the upperclassmen. The guy catches two straight passes, makes a nice move on the second to gain extra yards and then is relegated to the bench.

Meanwhile, we throw to Shumpert. I'm not against upperclassmen playing, but Shumpert has no business being on the field. He's demonstrated, year after year, that catching the ball is a legitimate challenge for him.

15 years into the Ferentz era and would should never say a team under him is learning to win.

Seasons like this is a direct result of poor recruiting and poor coaching. Something that has been the norm as of late.

How in the blue hell is this a better team than last year? We lost to a team we beat last year already, and they lost most of their defensive starters.

It strikes me as odd how those (myself included) who want Kirk gone are attacked by making statements based on 1 or 2 games but those who support him don't. How can you say our TEs are "great" ? Great is all big ten, they have been good so far and there is no evidence we are better than we were last year.

Nobody wants to hear this but this was the dominate performance everyone wanted, it just didn't show up in the score. But let's face it, the score is the worst stat to show team performance that there is. By its very nature it's too...showy. Only a particularly well crafted game plan and excellent coaching can lead to beating a team as bad as we did today and not have it show up in the score. MSU isn't offended from a rout and will be willing to schedule with us so we can continue our dominance over them for years to come. Today was all win. Time to celebrate!

Latest posts