No that it is over, who had the more successful season? 20-21 or 21-22?

No that it is over, who had the more successful season? 20-21 or 21-22?

• The 20-21 Hawkeyes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The 21-22 Hawkeyes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • It is a Push

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

HaydenHawk56

Got thinking about this tonight. Last year's team had a super-star (Garza and another in JoeW), had JBo, won less games (22), but finished 3rd in the conference, 2 seed in NCAAs, and won their first round NCAA game against 15 seed Grand Canyon. Their season ends in a blow out against an arguably under-seated PAC-10 Champion in Oregon (7 seed) and they got a bye and extra rest and prep time for Iowa.

This year Iowa wins 26 games, finishes 5th in conference, wins the Big Ten Tournament, gets a 5 seed in the NCAAs, but loses in the first round to 12 seed Richmond. They have another super-star in Keegan Murray with JBo in his last year.

Beginning of this year I thought 21-22 could be good, middle of the year, I thought NITish. Going into the NCAAs, I thought this team was playing better than last year. I thought they were better than last year. Although, I think the BTT Title is the lesser between the Regular Season Title...I still think it is a significant accomplishment and it is good to be playing your best ball at this time of year. But, winning Big Ten Titles can't win the National Title. They can help you get there, but you won't win the National Title by winning your conference. Iowa loses it's first NCAA round game.

Last year's team falls in the BTT to Illinois, but wins the first game in the NCAAs. They were technically one spot farther to a title than this year. But they got more time to rest and prepare for Grand Canyon. 21-22 Iowa destroyed Northwestern and then beat 3 NCAA tournament teams in a row (including 3 seed Purdue) having less rest and prep time for Richmond.

Personally, I picked it is a PUSH. Because although although last year's team went further, I think this year's team did more things under the hood (more wins, BTT title). They were also not expected to make the NCAAs let alone with the BTT. But, I think you also have to value NCAA tournament wins over Big Ten Tournament wins. Even winning one of them over the winning the BTT.

What do you all think?

I really wanted to vote for the 21-22 team, but I just can't pull the trigger on a first round exit in the Big Dance.

Last edited:
This year's hawks won a few more games, finished 4th in the league iirc, and winning the tournament made them champs. That hardware and everything else makes them the better team.

They lost about 4 really close league games. Then they had a stinker of a game where they were off in some major areas.

This is tough. Bullet to the head or knife to the heart? Recency bias says this year, but I think it is a push.

Last year's team: high expectations from the start. Expectation flames fanned early. Decent finish in the B1G regular season. Flame out in the B1G tourney. Scorched in the NCAA.

This year's team: Little expectation early. Got hot late. Expectation flames got fanned late. Scorching hot in the B1G tourney. Flame out in the NCAAs.

A push.

I had a great time watching both teams. Not sure anything but a “push” would be possible for me. If next year is anywhere close, that would be the best three years of Iowa basketball I have ever experienced.

Using pre season expectations for each team as my barometer , personally I think this team had the better year and as stated above , I think this team wins if they could play each other

I voted push.

However in 2020-21 we had Lily as our unofficial mascot and I don't believe her name was mentioned in a single game thread this year.

Latest posts