No Huddle on the Road? How to use Bullock/Canzeri?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
NO HUDDLE TEMPO ON THE ROAD: Iowa's no-huddle look has been a success these past five quarters. The performance against Pitt was pretty amazing, perhaps a once in a lifetime comeback that we may not witness again. But in that game, Iowa had no other options left to it; they had to come out slinging the ball and doing so in a hurry. It worked perfectly.

I guess you could write that off to being a fluke, or a one-off sort of thing...many of us were wondering just that before the ULM game.

Then the Hawks came out and ran that offense on their first series and part of the second series...and they did so with great precision, as if they didn't miss a beat from the end of the Pittsburgh game. That instilled quite a bit of confidence in Hawkeye Nation, and perhaps the players on offense. This appears to be a wrinkle they are very comfortable with.

That being said, it's worked well at home, when the noise level is somewhat 'controllable', if you will.

How will this new wrinkle work on the road in front of 107,000 screaming Penn State fans in two weeks?

James Vandenberg has been able to get the play from the sideline, survey the defensive alignment and make audibles these past five quarters, and his teammates have been able to hear him. It also appears he has been barking out some blocking orders to some of the offensive linemen as well, as he has lent a hand counting up blitzers and pointing them out.

That's a lot more challenging to do on the road, when it's hard to hear. For the most part, it appears James Ferentz has been making most of the line calls as it relates to counting up opponents, so that is somewhat mitigated. As for the snap count, working in a silent count on shotgun plays is not something that is new to Iowa's offense, or any offense so I am not too worried about that aspect.

However, it will be interesting to see if this new wrinkle in Iowa's offense fares as well away from Kinnick Stadium as it has inside the friendly confines, and how much Iowa will choose to use it on the road.

There are a few components to the no huddle that are effective, however. One of them is that when you don't huddle up and run a bit of a 'check with me' set up, it doesn't allow the defense to make substitutions as easily or as frequently as it otherwise might want to do.

The good news for Iowa is that it can get a lot of different looks out of the same personnel package:

311 Personnel Package

-5 offensive linemen
-James Vandenberg
-Marcus Coker
-Marvin McNutt, Keenan Davis and Kevonte Martin-Manley
-1 Tight End (Zach Derby has seemed to be the 'go to' choice when Iowa has run its no huddle package)

311 is for three receivers, one running back and one tight end. Some also refer to this as 3 x 1, or other names. If you don't huddle up with this personnel group, it gives you some advantages.

Iowa can put Derby and KMM in the slots with Davis and McNutt spread wide, and keep Coker in to block (we have seen this). They can throw the ball out of that formation, or run the ball with Coker, as the linebackers have to walk out to the flats a little bit more which gives Coker more room to run inside and less congestion for the offensive line.

They can also move Derby in to the traditional tight end position with a hand on the ground and run to either side, or throw out of that formation. They can also motion Derby in this formation and use him as a lead blocker out of an 'H-back' option, or run play-action or waggle motion out of this formation as well. You can also overload one side of the field with say Derby, KMM and Davis, leaving McNutt wide on the opposite side for isolation opportunities.

This has been the preferred personnel package this year, and offers Iowa a lot of options in the no huddle, options that really aren't 'out there' in terms of ingenuity or lack of preparation. The wrinkle to this is the tempo, and the Hawks seem adept at handling this so far.

YOUNG GUNS BETWEEN THE 20's: Now that Jordan Canzeri has burned his redshirt, and Damon Bullock burned his in the first game, Iowa will get one or both of these players involved in the offense.

Given their skill set and that of Marcus Coker, it makes more sense that we will see Bullock and/or Canzeri between the 20's; neither of these players is ready to play power football down inside the 10 yard line. Bullock tried to pass block a few times last week and was knocked flat on his rump and my guess is Canzeri will have similar challenges.

That being said, each player is going to have to stay in to pass block in order to see the field, and in order to not develop run tendencies when they are on the turf.

Given their speed attributes, it makes more sense that we will see they farther away from the redzone. I'd also expect to see both players working the flats for flare passes, outlets as well as screens. This will play to their strengths and allow Iowa to get the most out of their skill sets.

GAP INTEGRITY: It will be interesting to see how the Iowa front four does against Penn State, the first team on Iowa's schedule that will play something akin to traditional football on offense.

Norm Parker defenses have been very good against traditional offenses, mainly because of technique and assignment discipline.

His squads have rarely had size advantages to work with, but they have been good at shedding blockers and plugging the gaps they are assigned to, which lets linebackers come in and clean up the mess.

Does this Iowa defense have the discipline to play that style of football? I am looking forward to finding out that answer on October 8th.

Forgot to add here that I spoke with two former BCS conf QB yesterday about the no huddle in road environments.

Great points Jon. One that I think you failed to mention is the hurry up offense can be demoralizing to a defense (not to mention the crowd) when a team is on the road firing on all cylinders.
Think about how many drives we been the victim to in the last few years that took the life out of us, simply because we've been fatigued, the plays keep comming, and the crowd gets quieter and quieter because the ball is being moved down the field at a much quicker pace.

I was thinking the same thing. I think they will be able to hear and get plays, make audibles, etc. My concern is will the be able to keep their poise, keep their focus in a foreign envnmt with the noise. Easy at home, not so much on the road in college football. That's the next test for this offensive team. We will see in two weeks. If we can keep our poise, and win away, we will see a good record for this team.

Bullock tried to pass block a few times last week and was knocked flat on his rump and my guess is Canzeri will have similar challenges.

That being said, each player is going to have to stay in to pass block in order to see the field, and in order to not develop run tendencies when they are on the turf.

A key point. Even the drunks in our bar Saturday were shouting "here comes Bullock - we gonna run!".

This can be used to setup play action - but there again, you gotta block.

KOK is a clever dude. Since neither kid is going to get any bigger or improve their blocking dramatically in two weeks, look for wrinkles that shift them out to the flat late, utilize TE for protection and so forth to help break the tendency.

How to use Canzeri/Bullock
2 words: Option routes. Isolate them both on LB's and let their quickness do the rest.

Sidebar: I had never heard the personnel grouping referred to as 311 before Gamefilm did it a couple weeks ago. In going to clinics and speaking with other coaches, I thought the number of WR's was implied based on the 2 digit personnel grouping...311 would be "11" personnel. The first digit dictates the number of backs, the second tells you the number of TE's, and since there can be 5 eligibles on every play, the inferred number of WR's would be 3. Just found that interesting...

The one drawback to the no huddle is that our offense may score quickly which puts our defense back on the field for more minutes. That's not a good thing from what I've seen so far. We may have to score on every series!

The one drawback to the no huddle is that our offense may score quickly which puts our defense back on the field for more minutes. That's not a good thing from what I've seen so far. We may have to score on every series!

True, as long as Bernstine doesn't get mono we should be ok

I could be wrong here but don't many teams call two plays in the huddle so the team can just go into the next one during the no huddle? You may need to make some adjustments at the line but the play is already called. I would think this would negate the crowd noise and keep their D on the field.

2 words: Option routes. Isolate them both on LB's and let their quickness do the rest.

I totally agree. More importantly, the coaches have gushed before about Bullock's ball-skills. I'll be curious to see what he can do with them.

What I will find interesting is who will be the first RB off the bench to spell Coker. Canzeri obviously was able to make more out of his carries than Bullock. However, similarly, Canzeri hasn't had to remain back helping out in pass-pro either. I wonder which one will get the nod ... I could easily see it going either way. I suppose that it will likely go to the guy who is practicing better.

Attendance for Eastern Mich was 95K, but I'm sure they will fill the joint when the Hawkeyes roll into town.

I could be wrong here but don't many teams call two plays in the huddle so the team can just go into the next one during the no huddle? You may need to make some adjustments at the line but the play is already called. I would think this would negate the crowd noise and keep their D on the field.

Those audible adjustments (and the snap count) ARE the issue. Actually calling the play within a huddle is the relatively easy part in a hostile environment.

I think teams have four to six plays they go to out of these sets...JVB is still checking with KOK immediately after the play is over. But he can make some audibles.

The thing is learning which audibles you can go to out of the personnel group you have on the field...

Which is why this bye week, for this year and these circumstances, is so perfectly timed for Iowa

John,

I've speculated as well that we could see more 3-2 sets, sans TE with Coker and either of the frosh. Coker can pick up blitz and frosh can release for swing passes. Also sets up well for screen game. In a sense, Coker can function like both a TB and FB. Getting the screen game going will help when teams think they can just blitz heavy.

Penn States actual attendence was around 70,000. I don't know how many they sold. We had more fans at the ULM game then they did against Eastern Mich. Whole lota good that big ole stadium is doing them. Joe Pa is killing them.

Latest posts