No confidence

Ben Rumson

Iowa born and raised. Die hard Hawk and Mn Viking fan. So why after rooting for these two teams for the better part of my life do I LACK CONFIDENCE in these teams when they play? The Ohio state win this season I never predicted nor expected but then led me to a false sense of security in thinking that the rest of the season was going to be Hawk wins.
Now Sunday is coming a moment I've waited for for years to come and I already feel the game is over and the Vikes have lost and the game hasn't even been played yet. I'm starting to wonder what the physiological effect sports has on ones outlook.
I understand its sports...that's all! It does not play a role in my job, marriage and quality of life whether the game is lost or won.
But Gosh Damn guys I want to be a winner just once!

I look at the reality of Iowa football and its history is a barely above .500 winning percentage. Very good in the 50's and early 60's. Lots of losing for 18 years, then probably a .700 or maybe a little better win percentage since Hayden arrived. On avg the hawks were winning a Big 10 title about every 10-11 years, not bad considering OSU and Michigan are in the league and now PSU.

So I know the chances of a Natty title are pretty low each year < 1%, a Big 10 title is low at 10%, but I can hope for a west division title and a chance in the Big 10 title game as that is at 30%. The coaches just need to buckle down and find some more ways to score points and move the ball and continue the great scoring defense while improving the getting the hell off the field on defense.

I am confident of the West title chances most years which gives us a chance at the Big 10 Title.

You know, that lack of confidence can translate into a higher high when the team plays well and wins. It can also help absorb the blows when the team blows.

But in 2009 and 2015 I was recklessly optimistic. And I didn't give a good GD, what

Now Sunday is coming a moment I've waited for for years to come and I already feel the game is over and the Vikes have lost and the game hasn't even been played yet.
Look at it this way:

Your team started the year with Sam f-ing Bradford as your qb. They lost their supposed stud / playmaker back early. But here they are in the NFC Championship! Against Nick f-ing Foles! You're already living a dream!

Look at it this way:

Your team started the year with Sam f-ing Bradford as your qb. They lost their supposed stud / playmaker back early. But here they are in the NFC Championship! Against Nick f-ing Foles! You're already living a dream!

Your definitely right there!

I think I'm hungover from the Rose Bowl yet. I was confident that Iowa was going to show up and show the country that we can play with anyone! And then..............

Iowa born and raised. Die hard Hawk and Mn Viking fan. So why after rooting for these two teams for the better part of my life do I LACK CONFIDENCE in these teams when they play? The Ohio state win this season I never predicted nor expected but then led me to a false sense of security in thinking that the rest of the season was going to be Hawk wins.
Now Sunday is coming a moment I've waited for for years to come and I already feel the game is over and the Vikes have lost and the game hasn't even been played yet. I'm starting to wonder what the physiological effect sports has on ones outlook.
I understand its sports...that's all! It does not play a role in my job, marriage and quality of life whether the game is lost or won.
But Gosh Damn guys I want to be a winner just once!
Sounds like somebody needs to lower his expectations. ;)

Viks have a damn good shot I'd say. This won't be an offensive shootout with Foles in there. If it were to become one I like the Viks chances even more. I think first team to 24 wins. I'm a 49ers fan no dog in the race. I'd be a tad sad if Viks do get to Superbowl only because Greenway just had to retire a year early...

Viks have a damn good shot I'd say. This won't be an offensive shootout with Foles in there. If it were to become one I like the Viks chances even more. I think first team to 24 wins. I'm a 49ers fan no dog in the race. I'd be a tad sad if Viks do get to Superbowl only because Greenway just had to retire a year early...
Yes as faithful and loyal Chad was to that organization he deserved that moment if they get there but he damn sure helped pave the way and Zimmer respected the hell out him for it.

First, I have to point out that your deductive reasoning skills are working. You have learned from the past and your conscious state is warranted. The point you are missing is despite your dread for the inevitable result...do you still have hope? The Die Hard fan always has hope and uses that hope to tell himself this time it's going to be different. When it isn't different as you should expect...you find solace in your depression and the cycle begins again in the fall. But hope is the key to your enjoyment of the process.

If your hope has led you to prayer...well...misery will be a lifelong companion.

Lifelong Viking fan as well and I totally understand his angst. Many a day a can't get the Farve interception out of my mind. It just plays in a continuous loop. Other big moments as well. I was too young for the four Superbowl losses. I'm ready to believe again after last week. The nice thing about Utube is I got to watch fans of the Saints feel like we did when they beat us to win the NFC. Their tears were delicious.

First, I have to point out that your deductive reasoning skills are working. You have learned from the past and your conscious state is warranted. The point you are missing is despite your dread for the inevitable result...do you still have hope? The Die Hard fan always has hope and uses that hope to tell himself this time it's going to be different. When it isn't different as you should expect...you find solace in your depression and the cycle begins again in the fall. But hope is the key to your enjoyment of the process.

If your hope has led you to prayer...well...misery will be a lifelong companion.

Great prospective! Yes I still have hope! I still watch and go to every game with the thought that we'll win.
But when it come to the big games i.e. Rose Bowls, Big10 Championship, NFC championships, 4 SB losses its truly hard to think it will be any different. My main point earlier was with the track record of those two teams in those types of games I'm more prepared now days for the let down more less expecting it. Now would I trade the games and high points over the years of wins and special moments both teams achieved for a Championship trophy? Probably not as those moments and memories are awesome but you would think just one time you could relish in a Rose Bowl win, Big Championship or a Super Bowl win just once for the emotional investment we fans have all made to a game we all love!