No bench points?

Cole did not have his best night. Spent quite a bit of time on the pine with foul trouble. McCabe has just disappeared the past couple weeks.

Cole got called for some tick tacks that kept him in and out of the game. He was also charged with defending a HUGE Minnesota lineup. No surprise there. McCabe hasn't seen a good look in a long time. He struggles finding his own shot. He had a great chance to cut it to six late in the game and missed an absolute bunny off of an inbounds play. Not that it would have changed the outcome, but it was a layup. Come on.

Hawkeyes played really hard in spurts last night, started the 2nd half with the best 10 minutes of BB they have played all season, but were overmatched. The best thing to happen to Freshman is they become sophomores.

Depth was THE difference in the MN game. We had 4 players (all starters) in double figures. That will win most games, if a team gets anything, absolutely anything from the bench.

I hope Iowa can get someone who can break players down off the dribble in the next class...White will be a nice big guy who will get his shot off b/c of his size, but we need a wing who can dribble...Marble is becoming a liability out there with extremely lazy D.

Gatens shoots 21 times and makes 5,amazing.

That stat to me is surprising considering how many open looks that Matt had. He had an off night shooting the basketball. I also felt he went to the rim way to many times. He just can't finish underneath. He's the smallest 6'5" player I have seen.

That stat to me is surprising considering how many open looks that Matt had. He had an off night shooting the basketball. I also felt he went to the rim way to many times. He just can't finish underneath. He's the smallest 6'5" player I have seen.

This. His attempts were bloated by his drives to the rim (had to have at least 5 of them) that ended in rejections. He also had several jumpers roll in and out. Just a bit of an off night.

This. His attempts were bloated by his drives to the rim (had to have at least 5 of them) that ended in rejections. He also had several jumpers roll in and out. Just a bit of an off night.

Yeah if he's not going to take that jumper he needs to develop a floater or something that he can pull up before the bigs collapse.

Gatens was 3-10 for 3 (it happens and he had some good looks)
but just 2-11 from inside (YIKES)

We definitely need more depth and more shooters

Depth has been Iowa's achilles heel all season and with the injuries Iowa has had it doesn't help matter. I believe this is the sole reason Iowa hasn't had Cartwright/Gatens/May/Basabe all have the same good game when they are capable of it.
If Iowa can sign four players that are ready to play and the freshman develop as they should, Iowa suddenly has depth. Some ifs in there, but not impossible.

Hawkeyes played really hard in spurts last night, started the 2nd half with the best 10 minutes of BB they have played all season, but were overmatched. The best thing to happen to Freshman is they become sophomores.

Hopefully Iowa's freshman become Iowa's Sophmores. I think the defections(Past/Present/Future) are the hardest thing Fran or any coach not in a top tier program has to overcome. If he can keep all of the guys this year that dont graduate it will be a good core to build upon.

Latest posts