No. 12 Illinois Pulls Away from Iowa

Ladies and Gentlemen and whoever does these threads, this Iowa team has potential in the future, fun game to watch today with the Illini, Illinois just has to many tall athletes to get over the top on this one. Skeptical if they make the big dance, however very competitive in the NIT, they will miss Perkins next year unless he has another year of eligibility, next year will need a physical point guard to compete at a higher level. I still need to say, WTF, is Pmac in a game like this, I can dribble all day in the driveway with my grandson, but no production as in getting to the hoop, scoring points.

I wasn't able to watch most of the game due to a work conflict. Followed it on my phone and it did sound like we put up a good fight. Perhaps that performance gives the young Hawks confidence in the rematch at Carver. Hopes of an NCAA bid remain long, but not impossible. Regardless, I would like to see these strong performances down the stretch continue for these last few very challenging games, and then the tourney.

I wasn't able to watch most of the game due to a work conflict. Followed it on my phone and it did sound like we put up a good fight. Perhaps that performance gives the young Hawks confidence in the rematch at Carver. Hopes of an NCAA bid remain long, but not impossible. Regardless, I would like to see these strong performances down the stretch continue for these last few very challenging games, and then the tourney.
I figured we needed Illinois to have a bad shooting night and us to play really well. We did play really good on offense but they were on fire early. Our defense didn't help that at all obviously. But the way we played on offense, we would have won by double digits if we caught them on a random cold shooting night.

I figured we needed Illinois to have a bad shooting night and us to play really well. We did play really good on offense but they were on fire early. Our defense didn't help that at all obviously. But the way we played on offense, we would have won by double digits if we caught them on a random cold shooting night.
Teams tend to have better shooting nights at home. Decent odds that if Iowa can put together a similar effort in Carver, there is a shot to take them down. Would be a helluva resume booster if we could split with Illinois. First things first. We have a couple tough ones first. PSU is playing its best ball right now and NW will not beat itself.

I think an at large bid is impossible now... Only hopes would be to win BIG tourny to get in now I would think. They dug too big a hole in December to get out of. I'm glad they've showed some fight and clawed themselves to respectability. They coulda folded up shop pretty easily and didn't. It just took this team too long to sort out some of the guys roles and for Fran to shorten the bench. We'll see if they can get a good PG in the portal and how the guys develop. Maybe TP comes back?...

I think an at large bid is impossible now... Only hopes would be to win BIG tourny to get in now I would think. They dug too big a hole in December to get out of. I'm glad they've showed some fight and clawed themselves to respectability. They coulda folded up shop pretty easily and didn't. It just took this team too long to sort out some of the guys roles and for Fran to shorten the bench. We'll see if they can get a good PG in the portal and how the guys develop. Maybe TP comes back?...
If Iowa wins the next three, they will be even in Quad 1, 2, 3 games, which is sort of the mendoza line for consideration. They would also collect two more Quad 1 wins, which are huge. They would also be above .500 in a power conference. Even sweeping the rest of the regular season might not be enough though as you noted, but another quality win in the conference tourney might sneak them in.

That said, I don't see a sweep. Gotta be real. They have 3 tough games left. I just want to see them play high level basketball for the next 4-5 games and then take that play into the NIT. They could make some noise given how well they are playing of late.

If Iowa wins the next three, they will be even in Quad 1, 2, 3 games, which is sort of the mendoza line for consideration. They would also collect two more Quad 1 wins, which are huge. They would also be above .500 in a power conference. Even sweeping the rest of the regular season might not be enough though as you noted, but another quality win in the conference tourney might sneak them in.

That said, I don't see a sweep. Gotta be real. They have 3 tough games left. I just want to see them play high level basketball for the next 4-5 games and then take that play into the NIT. They could make some noise given how well they are playing of late.
Yeah and the BIG is down how many bids will league even get? I do hope for an NIT bid as well and hopefully win a couple of those. Give them something positive to go into the off season with. But Fran will have some big moves to make. First off I know he's said he's not retiring but that's not the same thing as coming back... So that's first and foremost. Then is TP coming back? Then are they going to go for a PG in the portal and a big to replace Krikke with. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mulvey won't be that guy coming off a RS yr but maybe he proves me wrong.

Yeah and the BIG is down how many bids will league even get? I do hope for an NIT bid as well and hopefully win a couple of those. Give them something positive to go into the off season with. But Fran will have some big moves to make. First off I know he's said he's not retiring but that's not the same thing as coming back... So that's first and foremost. Then is TP coming back? Then are they going to go for a PG in the portal and a big to replace Krikke with. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mulvey won't be that guy coming off a RS yr but maybe he proves me wrong.
They need to replace Krikke in the portal no matter what. If TP comes back they are otherwise set. If not, I think Iowa should bring in another PG because there is not one in the incoming class. I like Dix and Harding enough at the PG that I don't think PG is as critical if TP does leave. Mulvey and Bowen need to move on, so there should be a schollie or two open.

Iowa is in the predictive first 8 out as of now, they absolutely can still play themselves in without winning the B1G tournament. It matters what Iowa does, but what everyone else does matters to. Keep an eye on any of these teams over the next 2 weeks. If Iowa can get to .500 in the B1G and be the 7 seed or higher, I think one BTT game gets them in.

Need these teams to not do well to end their season

Virginia
Providence
Gonzaga
Texas A&M
Nova
Utah
Colorado
Butler
Ole MIss
Kansas State
Cinci
Pitt
Drake
Oregon

Iowa is pretty much in the same boat as all of these teams - NOT all of them are going to finish strong - some will play their way in, some will play their way out. Iowa can definitely still play their way in.

Iowa is 7th heading into this week's games among B1G 10 teams in the Net. It is on the bubble. There are a number of ways it could get in. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. It also depends on how other teams perform. Getting to 20 wins is vital.

Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 3.33.21 PM.png

^Exactly what Rob just said

Like tonight -

We could use West Virginia upseting K State at Home. That's an early game I'm watching tonight. You also have to account for what happens in the smaller conferences championship games - don't need any bid stealers that aren't projected to make it.

Just win baby
My guess is if they win Tuesday they will be in the predictive last 4 out - if they win on Saturday they will be in the predictive last 4 in - meaning the IL game will likely teeter them one way or the other.

If they win Tuesday and then lose at NW on Saturday, they will still be in the last 8 out and the IL game could get them back into the last 4 in.

Win all 3 and Iowa will likely be in the "last 4 bye" area heading into B1G Tournament. Not exactly a place you want to be and then turn around and lose to Ohio State or Indiana or whoever we end up drawing.

My guess is if they win Tuesday they will be in the predictive last 4 out - if they win on Saturday they will be in the predictive last 4 in - meaning the IL game will likely teeter them one way or the other.

If they win Tuesday and then lose at NW on Saturday, they will still be in the last 8 out and the IL game could get them back into the last 4 in.

Win all 3 and Iowa will likely be in the "last 4 bye" area heading into B1G Tournament. Not exactly a place you want to be and then turn around and lose to Ohio State or Indiana or whoever we end up drawing.
My view is if they win out they need 1 tourney victory to be safe. That's 20 wins, above .500 in conference, and ending the year with several quad 1 wins.

If they beat PSU and split the other two, I think they have to get two in the tourney and get to the semis on Saturday

If they only beat PSU, they probably have to win the thing.

My view is if they win out they need 1 tourney victory to be safe. That's 20 wins, above .500 in conference, and ending the year with several quad 1 wins.

If they beat PSU and split the other two, I think they have to get two in the tourney and get to the semis on Saturday

If they only beat PSU, they probably have to win the thing.
Right, that's what I meant when I said win all 3, you're probably in but losing to Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana or whoever they draw for the first game would make me sweat on Sunday. Could be in play in game scenario in that situation -- which I would take.

Right, that's what I meant when I said win all 3, you're probably in but losing to Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana or whoever they draw for the first game would make me sweat on Sunday. Could be in play in game scenario in that situation -- which I would take.
I think if we win all 3, we will be considered in before the conference tournaments. But I do think we probably need to win the first one there just to not get bounced back out.

Last time we missed the tourney, we were the first team out with 18 wins. The conference isn't quite as strong this year. But one extra win goes a long way.

Latest posts