NIU may be best defense Iowa sees

That was an 11 win defense that returned 8 starters. I'd take MSU and NEB defense over NIU, but they'd get serious consideration for 3rd best we'll play.

NIU gave up 45 to Kansas, 49 to Wisky, 48 to Central Mich, 60 to Toledo, and 38 to Ball State last year..They only held 2 teams under 20 points during the regular season.

Last year it was an 11 win offense...

So a defense that gave up over 400 points last year is suddenly gonna be world beaters? That's either a hell of an off season improvement or EP needs to STFU.

NIU gave up 45 to Kansas, 49 to Wisky, 48 to Central Mich, 60 to Toledo, and 38 to Ball State last year..They only held 2 teams under 20 points during the regular season.

That was a stone cold PWN post.

Pesky facts!

While I think Eddie was being a little too optimistic, I was surprised at the size and athleticism of the NIU defensive line.

Iowa doesn't exactly play a bunch of defensive powerhouses.
Central Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, and Purdue will likely have weaker defenses than NIU.
MSU, Nebraska & Penn State will all be better defenses than NIU.
Michigan & Iowa State defenses might be on a similar level of difficulty.

Last edited:

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks for providing reality on this thread!

Iowa doesn't exactly play a bunch of defensive powerhouses.
Central Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, and Purdue will likely have weaker defenses than NIU.
MSU, Nebraska & Penn State will all be better defenses than NIU.
Michigan & Iowa State defenses might be on a similar level of difficulty.

Good thing because it is not exactly like Iowa is going to be a powerhouse offense based on what we've seen the past 2 yrs.
(Absolutely no consistency)

Think you are underestimating the defenses ISU and UNI have and overestimating the Penn St defense.

I admittedly heard only parts of the coverage, but I only heard EP saying that NIU's d-line was better than most lines that the Hawks will face. That being said, lets keep going w/ this thread! I think we're close to finding a point that's somewhat relavent.

Knott and Klein have pinned this up in the locker room.

They have? You have access to the locker room? Or are you stalking them?

Or...wait...I think the more likely answer is you have no idea what you're talking about and just wanted to troll.

They have? You have access to the locker room? Or are you stalking them?

Or...wait...I think the more likely answer is you have no idea what you're talking about and just wanted to troll.
Not trolling at all, this is the stuff that just seems to end up in the locker room.

Ed said he had spent some time with Norm Parker in August and Norm had been watching some tape of NIU's D and felt they were going to be a really good unit this year.

I think it's a bit much to say that this D will be one of the best Iowa faces all year. It almost sounds like a Chris Hassel parody from the Iowa-UNI game in 2009 when he was impersonating Ed and said 'That's the best offense line we will see all year.'

That said, I don't see a lot of great defenses on Iowa's schedule this year. MSU will be very good. Nebraska will be better than NIU. There may be several more; we'll see.

I'd very much LIKE to believe it ;)

Ed said he had spent some time with Norm Parker in August and Norm had been watching some tape of NIU's D and felt they were going to be a really good unit this year.

I think it's a bit much to say that this D will be one of the best Iowa faces all year.

That said, I don't see a lot of great defenses on Iowa's schedule this year. MSU will be very good. Nebraska will be better than NIU. There may be several more; we'll see.

I'd very much LIKE to believe it ;)

In Norm I trust, he is probably right. NIU was a very good defense to face on week one with a new offense. Thank goodness we pulled it out in the end.

We could have played some cupcake like SE Louisiana or Central Michigan but would we have learned as much, and had such great video to develop and grow from? I think not, overcoming adversity is only taught by experience.

The bottom line is the NIU defense returned 9 starters plus their best player from 2010 who was suspended last year.

Absolutely they gave up a bunch of points last year, they also were part of a team that one 11 games.

Ed's point is that NIU's defense is one of the best, not the best, defenses Iowa faces.

Iowa is still learning a new offense, new terminology and have a bunch of new O-line man. Assuming they continue to improve.. everything will be OK.

Nicely done.

Facts, like scores, suck sometimes.

In Norm I trust, he is probably right. NIU was a very good defense to face on week one with a new offense. Thank goodness we pulled it out in the end.

We could have played some cupcake like SE Louisiana or Central Michigan but would we have learned as much, and had such great video to develop and grow from? I think not, overcoming adversity is only taught by experience.

Yeah except C. Michigan beat NIU last year.

Knott and Klein have pinned this up in the locker room.

A radio color analyst comment ends up pinned up in a locker room? Have you ever been in a locker room in your life? Don't answer that. I already know the answer.

You are a ******* moron.

Latest posts