Nittany Cryins

Northside Hawk

They can be as frustrated as they want to be. They pissed away a winnable game with poor execution, turnovers, quick shooting, and poor rebounding the last two to three minutes of the game.

More important, we hadn't forgotten last year, individually or as a team. They beat us, dunked on us, laughed at us, pushed us around, kicked sand in our face, on and on. I'm glad Kreiner didn't forget the concussion that ruined a good part of his sophomore season, courtesy of dirty play from Penn State. He got his revenge by dunking right in Watkins grill. They gave us the game and we took it.

I was eagerly anticipating this game. I was using it as a barometer to judge just how far we've come in the toughness department. Answer-a long way.

Illinois on Sunday, then the gauntlet begins. We won't win them all, but I feel a lot better about our chances to compete than I did two weeks ago.

Last edited:
They can be as frustrated as they want to be. They pissed away a winnable game with poor execution, turnovers, quick shooting, and poor rebounding the last two to three minutes of the game.

More important, we hadn't forgotten last year, individually or as a team. They beat us, dunked on us, laughed at us, pushed us around, kicked sand in our face, on and on. I'm glad Kreiner didn't forget the concussion that ruined a good part his sophomore season, courtesy of dirty play from Penn State. He got his revenge by dunking right in Watkins grill. They gave us the game and we took it.

I was eagerly anticipating this game. I was using it as a barometer to judge just how far we've come in the toughness department. Answer-a long way.

Illinois on Sunday, then the gauntlet begins. We won't win them all, but I feel a lot better about our chances to compete than I did two weeks ago.

More important, we hadn't forgotten last year, individually or as a team. They beat us, dunked on us, laughed at us, pushed us around, kicked sand in our face, on and on. I'm glad Kreiner didn't forget the concussion that ruined a good part his sophomore season, courtesy of dirty play from Penn State. He got his revenge by dunking right in Watkins grill. They gave us the game and we took it.

The way Illinois is playing right now against Minnesota, that gauntlet might start Sunday against Illinois

More important, we hadn't forgotten last year, individually or as a team. They beat us, dunked on us, laughed at us, pushed us around, kicked sand in our face, on and on. I'm glad Kreiner didn't forget the concussion that ruined a good part of his sophomore season, courtesy of dirty play from Penn State. He got his revenge by dunking right in Watkins grill. They gave us the game and we took it.

This was a Huge Payback Game

For Certain

EXPERIENCE is a wonderful thing! HAWKS have it and Pedo State doesn't. Gonna have a nice Senior Class next year!

The way Illinois is playing right now against Minnesota, that gauntlet might start Sunday against Illinois

Not sure whats up with that...hopefully they got it out of their system. On the plus side Fran has plenty of ammo now to get the players to take Illinois seriously

Not sure whats up with that...hopefully they got it out of their system. On the plus side Fran has plenty of ammo now to get the players to take Illinois seriously
Illinois had a night similiar to the one Purdue had against us. Everything went right, shot about 60%. It won't happen two games in a row.

It is tough for me to figure out why PSU has not won more games. Yes, their schedule in the early stages of the BT games answers that question to some extent, but they played pretty darn good basketball against the Hawks. And we played very well.

It is tough for me to figure out why PSU has not won more games. Yes, their schedule in the early stages of the BT games answers that question to some extent, but they played pretty darn good basketball against the Hawks. And we played very well.

They've come really close several times. They were down 2 with 1 minute left AT Maryland, they lost by 2 at home to Indiana, they were down 1 with 3 minutes left AT Nebraska, and they were down 1 against Iowa tonight with 1.5 minutes left.

They lose Reaves next year but return everyone else. They're not bad at all.

They've come really close several times. They were down 2 with 1 minute left AT Maryland, they lost by 2 at home to Indiana, they were down 1 with 3 minutes left AT Nebraska, and they were down 1 against Iowa tonight with 1.5 minutes left.

They lose Reaves next year but return everyone else. They're not bad at all.
In sports it is difficult to get out of the habit/ritual of losing close games, self fulfilling prophecy.

On the other hand, winning a few close games creates the opposite self fulfilling prophecy.

Hopefully Iowa has somewhat turned the tables, learning to win, rather than the default setting of pissing things away.

In sports it is difficult to get out of the habit/ritual of losing close games, self fulfilling prophecy.

On the other hand, winning a few close games creates the opposite self fulfilling prophecy.

Hopefully Iowa has somewhat turned the tables, learning to win, rather than the default setting of pissing things away.
We are ranked in the top ten % in KenPom's "luck". Illinois, before yesterday, was second from dead last, out 353 teams.

I'm not going to be ashamed of it. We finished in the bottom ten percent in four of Fran's eight years. That was well beyond overdue to even out a bit. Experience and toughness help too.

We are ranked in the top ten % in KenPom's "luck". Illinois, before yesterday, was second from dead last, out 353 teams.

I'm not going to be ashamed of it. We finished in the bottom ten percent in four of Fran's eight years. That was well beyond overdue to even out a bit. Experience and toughness help too.
JB's big 3 pointer should do wonders for his shooting confidence. Shooters have to shoot. What a shot, courage to take it, technique to make it.

Our defense just makes everyone look better than they are me thinks.

I'm relieved Iowa got the win at Penn State, these are the games Iowa used to lose last year and now they are finding ways to win them.

Now we get to worry about Illinois. They are better than their record suggests and have some confidence after crushing Minnesota last night. This is a rivalry game, they will come in looking to stick it to us.

Luck. My basic take is that good teams make their own luck. Bad teams, or poorly coached teams, tend to get "unlucky".

;)

Couldn't agree more. I think Gesell missing those free throws in Ames his sophomore year cost us about 10 wins over the course of his career. If he makes those and the confidence builds instead of tanks, who knows what seeds we would have been those 3 years. Every close game those years you could just feel the bad energy in the building. If the fans could feel it, you know the players could too.

We haven't had any issues in close games since they graduated. We lose some 50/50 games and win some 50/50 games. Those teams pushes away 60/40 games. Even some 70/30 games. I dont think we've lost a 60/40 game late in the last 2 1/2 years.

After the last couple seasons I've gotten used to assuming Iowa would fold down the stretch. Its nice to see they have fight in them again

On the flip side I wonder what we would all be saying had Jordan bricked that deep 3 that sealed the game and we lost. It was pretty gutsy...glad it paid off

After the last couple seasons I've gotten used to assuming Iowa would fold down the stretch. Its nice to see they have fight in them again

On the flip side I wonder what we would all be saying had Jordan bricked that deep 3 that sealed the game and we lost. It was pretty gutsy...glad it paid off
Been saying it and saying it. So many B1G games are won and lost by one shot, one executed set, one defensive stop.

Living behind the cheddar curtain I saw Bo Ryan do it for years. Now they're starting to lose more of those games. And it's nice to see us start winning our share. Do well in those games and you will be in one of the top two tiers in the conference standings. Guaranteed.