Nit better than NCAA

austinhawk

I remember how many people commented last year that a deep run in the NIT is more beneficial for the program than one and done in the dance. Still feel the same? Doubtful

life.gif

If I remember correctly most of the people posting were saying we could go deeper in the NIT (more games) and it would be more beneficial for the team to play together than a likely one and done in the NCAA Tournament. Nobody actually thinks the NIT is better than the NCAA.

I enjoyed watching us make a run last year way more than I would enjoy watching us lose to Tennessee. That said a first round loss in the NCAA or a deep run in the NIT are not guarantees so I would prefer to take my chances in the NCAA.

Which is better:

NIT Championship

NCAA Loss first round (or whatever your first game is to start the tournament)

I would say last year (albeit falling one game short) a long run in the NIT was better all things considered (we may have deserved the NCAA, but we made the best of it). This year, I think there would have been almost zero motivation (with the pre-season expectations for making the Big Dance) out of the team if they were in the NIT team and would also have been reflected in the fan base.

Not that I would have not watched the NIT games and would have hoped for another long run, but I don't think you start off the season saying I want the NIT over the NCAA. You take the NIT if you were not good enough for the Big Dance, but good enough for the NIT if you can for development and extending the season.

Idk, Hawk fans keep telling me we are not "technically" in the tournament. If we were in the NIT at least we would not be stuck in this no mans land.

The deep run was so beneficial that it got a play-in game the following year.
Meh. The deep run in the NIT last season gave Iowa its high preseason ranking this season. Gave Iowa the opportunity to play in the Bahamas instead of Alaska (against teams with better RPIs that Iowa could upgrade their RPI upon). Gave Iowa the opportunity to play this season, more so, in the national limelight with the initial higher RPI. And because of, one facilitator for recruiting.

Latest posts