Nimmers is staying a Hawk

Hawkfnntn

For those that didn't know he'd put his name in the portal a few months ago. He's taken his name back out of it and is staying a walk on at Iowa. It kinda sucks he didn't choose to do that before they went on that Euro tour. Getting some of that PT woulda been great for him. I still want to see what that kid can do. He seems way too athletic to be a walk on.

I may be missing something but when I watched his HS highlights I have a tough time understanding how his athleticism wouldn't translate. He's 6'2 180ish and for my money is the most athletic kid on the floor for Iowa. He was a volume scorer in HS. Can take the ball to the hoop create his own shot and shoot outside. I haven't seen him play a ton of D. Maybe he's lazy at that I dunno but with his athleticism he should be good at that too. His above the rim ability is really exciting to see and I look forward to him getting a chance for us.

For those that didn't know he'd put his name in the portal a few months ago. He's taken his name back out of it and is staying a walk on at Iowa. It kinda sucks he didn't choose to do that before they went on that Euro tour. Getting some of that PT woulda been great for him. I still want to see what that kid can do. He seems way too athletic to be a walk on.

I may be missing something but when I watched his HS highlights I have a tough time understanding how his athleticism wouldn't translate. He's 6'2 180ish and for my money is the most athletic kid on the floor for Iowa. He was a volume scorer in HS. Can take the ball to the hoop create his own shot and shoot outside. I haven't seen him play a ton of D. Maybe he's lazy at that I dunno but with his athleticism he should be good at that too. His above the rim ability is really exciting to see and I look forward to him getting a chance for us.

Is this officially a trend now with Iowa? I mean, same thing happened with Jelly last year and Iowa always seems to be fairly receptive to them coming back.

I kind of feel like these guys are advised to go out and look and a lot of them realize that they don't have the equity built anywhere else and the path to playing seems even more daunting than at Iowa.

Right now, I am sure he sees the pathway to playing is very much uphill. Iowa isn't stacked at his position by any means but they have a lot of guys you would consider ahead of him as well. I am intrigued by his skill set, but I feel like Bowen has the PG on lockdown and Iowa has the option of Perk, Bowen, Harding and Dix who are going to get the bulk of playing time, it would be hard for me to imagine him gaining that many minutes with those guys on the team.

I am glad he's staying, if he can contribute anything to this program, it's a bonus that I don't really see coming.

Is this officially a trend now with Iowa? I mean, same thing happened with Jelly last year and Iowa always seems to be fairly receptive to them coming back.

I kind of feel like these guys are advised to go out and look and a lot of them realize that they don't have the equity built anywhere else and the path to playing seems even more daunting than at Iowa.

Right now, I am sure he sees the pathway to playing is very much uphill. Iowa isn't stacked at his position by any means but they have a lot of guys you would consider ahead of him as well. I am intrigued by his skill set, but I feel like Bowen has the PG on lockdown and Iowa has the option of Perk, Bowen, Harding and Dix who are going to get the bulk of playing time, it would be hard for me to imagine him gaining that many minutes with those guys on the team.

I am glad he's staying, if he can contribute anything to this program, it's a bonus that I don't really see coming.
I wonder how consistent his shot is and maybe his decision making out there might be. Maybe he turns it over a ton. (nobody's showing that in their highlight tapes) In his highlight tapes he clearly can take it to everyone Iowa has as well. He went right at Murray a few times too. So what separates them from him I'm just not sure. I do know he can do things they can't though. I agree it'll take an injury or 2 and or some bad play from others to open up any kind of PT for him. Unless he's improved and just overtakes a guy. He's a bigger more athletic version of Harding if you ask me. They play a similar aggressive style. I'd love to seem them go head to head.

In my humble opinion Bowen hasn't come close to locking down the PG spot. His lack of Assists and T/O margin did not look good on the Euro trip. If he can lock down guards on D and handle the ball he has just as much chance to play as anyone else. Really don't know why he came back if he can't beat out Bowen.

In my humble opinion Bowen hasn't come close to locking down the PG spot. His lack of Assists and T/O margin did not look good on the Euro trip. If he can lock down guards on D and handle the ball he has just as much chance to play as anyone else. Really don't know why he came back if he can't beat out Bowen.
Well he's an Iowa kid and thought he'd give it another shot I suppose. I agree Bowen hasn't shown enough to assume he's going to be handed the keys to the PG spot. He'll have to earn it. But he's probably got the first shot at it besides Tony Perkins. I think TP will play it some and depending on how well he does maybe a lot who knows. It's probably not ideal that he has to do it but if he can do it well then great.

The shuffling of the backcourt will be interesting I suspect Fran will be experimenting with lineups early on quite a bit. Who plays well with who etc. Sandfort PM and Krikke feel pretty well entrenched as starters to me besides TP and whomever the other guard ends up being.

You would hope to see Bowen making significant improvements and becoming a starter. TP needs to think about scoring and not distributing the ball. Payton and TP are going to be the scorers, with Krikke, and we need a PG that can handle under pressure and find the guys that I think will all be good scorers, while scoring enough to keep the defenses honest. That is supposed to be Dasonte and Brock's game. Hope those recruiting profiles are right.

Let's not forget The Boss

Let's not forget The Boss

Say What...

My guess is Brock will be stater by midseason or first off the bench. But, I thought that about Bowen last year. Just won't make predictions anymore, I thought Big O could have played more last season, so what do I know.

My guess is Brock will be stater by midseason or first off the bench. But, I thought that about Bowen last year. Just won't make predictions anymore, I thought Big O could have played more last season, so what do I know.

Yeah Brock could be starting by midseason, but perhaps coming off the bench is the BIG season

His potential is enormous

Not so sure that you are that far off. Dasonte's highlights were mostly scoring. Harding's highlights show numerous outstanding passes. The PG doesn't need to score much this season, just enough to keep the defenders honest. Brock has a good-looking quick release, as does Dasonte. That highlight video is among the most impressive of any point guard we've seen in a long time. Didn't know he could dunk. Very quick athleticism.

Cannot discount the possibility that Dix is kind of a Connor McC with a great shooting touch. That would throw a wrinkle into things.

Last edited:
Not so sure that you are that far off. Dasonte's highlights were mostly scoring. Harding's highlights show numerous outstanding passes. The PG doesn't need to score much this season, just enough to keep the defenders honest. Brock has a good-looking quick release, as does Dasonte. That highlight video is among the most impressive of any point guard we've seen in a long time. Didn't know he could dunk. Very quick athleticism.

Cannot discount the possibility that Dix is kind of a Connor McC with a great shooting touch. That would throw a wrinkle into things.
Agree. Running the O and making the right play is more important then our PG being able to score in bunches. PGs need to be able to knock down open 3s that's a must but I don't need them forcing things going one on one all the time. I like how Harding has a counter move to how he's being defended. He can go right or left doesn't matter he's comfortable reading and reacting to how the defense is presenting itself.

I'm not propping him up over Bowen just yet only because I've just not seen as much of Bowen. Hardings HS highlights have just been more out there to be seen by me so far is all. Bowen has 3 inches or so on him and like 20 plus lbs. With him having a yr in the program along with all that I think that'll mean somehting. Harding is going to need to put on some weight he looks like he's 160ish tops. I'm not saying Harding can't play himself into a significant role this yr cause he can. I just have a tough time thinking he will day 1.

Agree. Running the O and making the right play is more important then our PG being able to score in bunches. PGs need to be able to knock down open 3s that's a must but I don't need them forcing things going one on one all the time. I like how Harding has a counter move to how he's being defended. He can go right or left doesn't matter he's comfortable reading and reacting to how the defense is presenting itself.

I'm not propping him up over Bowen just yet only because I've just not seen as much of Bowen. Hardings HS highlights have just been more out there to be seen by me so far is all. Bowen has 3 inches or so on him and like 20 plus lbs. With him having a yr in the program along with all that I think that'll mean somehting. Harding is going to need to put on some weight he looks like he's 160ish tops. I'm not saying Harding can't play himself into a significant role this yr cause he can. I just have a tough time thinking he will day 1.
Dasonte should probably be the more ready to play. He's been around and is bigger than Brock. He should have a better understanding of the game. I was a little unclear. Don't think Brock will be the starter on game one. If Dasonte is anywhere as good as his recruiting profile he'll hold that job while he's here.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Saw speculation somewhere that he may end up at Kirkwood and possibly return.
All I'd seen is Juco so far. Kid wants to play and he just wasn't going to see many if any mins at Iowa this yr. He probably sized himself up against Harding this summer some. If he can dominate at a Juco for 2 yrs that should open some doors to him down the road.

Bowen has point guard on lockdown? Did I miss something...Brock Harding still exists, right? Harding is quicker than Bowen and has a better feel for the game. He'll get the obligatory keys to the car at some point this coming season and Bowen will promptly be off to a salty mid-major program by years end.

Bowen has point guard on lockdown? Did I miss something...Brock Harding still exists, right? Harding is quicker than Bowen and has a better feel for the game. He'll get the obligatory keys to the car at some point this coming season and Bowen will promptly be off to a salty mid-major program by years end.
Interesting. I have no doubt that Harding will be stud and I think Iowa is in a great position if he can come in and take minutes away Bowen. I am in the minority on this site in that I think Bowen starts the season at 1 and is the starter there day 1. The majority this summer seem to indicate they believed that would be Perkins.

I'm high on Harding but not even a little disappointed in Bowen. We need to see him play live action with the starters. Bowen is quick, with the ball, can penetrate, although last year his drives were not always productive (freshman?) and he's got a decent looking shot. The kid paid his freshman dues and Bowen should get the first shot at the job.