NIL and Iowa's recruiting apparatus

NCHawker

I've heard a lot of reporting and analysis about how NIL as opened the way to essentially paying players. SEC schools have dedicated 'collectives' that are pools of funds to funnel cash in exchange of NIL activities. The money is big.

While the NCAA forbids financial inducements, the language of the NIL contracts states that they are not an inducement but everyone knows they are. One contract is paying a 5-star athlete$2 million per year in exchange for appearances, and other promotions

I have heard of commercials for a local Mexican restaurant and autograph signing. Its nice the players get bit of cash. At the same time none of this strikes me as competitive or something that would catch the interest of top payers

I've heard no reporting on any similar attempts or special apparatus supporting Iowa and I'm wondering if Iowa's boosters or other insiders will step up, innovate and find a way to stay competitive.

Now that the $EC can funnel money to the players legally it’s going to turn into a professional minor league for the NFL.

Now that the $EC can funnel money to the players legally it’s going to turn into a professional minor league for the NFL.
They've been able to do that for years. But now NIL just legitimizes any bagman network a school or conference may have. Just like money laundering, it's easier to funnel cash through a business.

Not much is going to change.

1) there’s still a finite amount of talent that will go to the same schools anyway. It’s not like there are all of a sudden 50 extra five stars every year going to the SEC.

2) it’s been happening illegally for decades. Now it’s legal.

I know they’ve been funneling money to athletes, but the sacks of money and gifts are now turning into legitimate money. What used to be a $100k sack of cash and a car is now going to be $2 million NIL contract.

I know they’ve been funneling money to athletes, but the sacks of money and gifts are now turning into legitimate money. What used to be a $100k sack of cash and a car is now going to be $2 million NIL contract.
Yes, NIL is getting sickening real fast. It is as bad and akin to large tax loopholes that help the already rich. You would think "Name, Image, Likeness" of an NCAA athlete 1) could not be signed/completed until an athlete is actually an enrolled student, 2) not be tied to any recruiting of a non-student as in high schooler or portal transfer student, and 3) have more limits put on it whether it be dollar limits and how much others can profit from it. Really, one student could make out well with a limit of $25,000 per year.

1) there’s still a finite amount of talent that will go to the same schools anyway. It’s not like there are all of a sudden 50 extra five stars every year going to the SEC.

I think Alabama could be harmed by it pretty badly. Their teams are obviously good and deep, but if you dilute them because Tennessee, Georgia, Texas or Florida can pony up and each siphon one guy like Jalen Waddle or one of their freak linebackers it could really close the gap quickly. But in terms of relative competitiveness for someone like Iowa, yeah I don't see this moving the needle much if at all. My biggest concern is Ohio uses this as a means of adding a half dozen walk ons per year so they get a first look at the "cut below" guys who Iowa and Michigan State live on. Sure, there would still be transfers out, but if the "diamonds in the rough" are off the market and it is just dudes who got cut from Ohio, that ain't gonna be good.

This the way I feel.

Teams don't or won't have team depth loaded with 5 or 4 star players. It they aren't playing, they are going to leave. This is kind of why the transfer portal (free agency) might be kinda good for college. Level out the players creating more parity among teams. It might be a good thing.

Latest posts