Nick DeJong Returning to Hawkeyes

I count this as good news. He made some good strides this year and whether he starts or not next year, he will be a valuable piece.

I am a little surprised though given the tight scholarship numbers they are dealing with.

I count this as good news. He made some good strides this year and whether he starts or not next year, he will be a valuable piece.

I am a little surprised though given the tight scholarship numbers they are dealing with.
Right now Iowa has almost no room for portal pick-ups. This is not good. They need to bring in WR and DB's. Maybe a linemen or two. It's too early to tell how many players are going pro or coming back, be interesting to see how many come back.

The fact that he’s a starter says more about the state of our OL than anything.

If NDJ is coming back it means we don’t have better options. I’m sure he’s a great kid but holy smokes he is in over his head.

Right now Iowa has almost no room for portal pick-ups. This is not good. They need to bring in WR and DB's. Maybe a linemen or two. It's too early to tell how many players are going pro or coming back, be interesting to see how many come back.
Spot on, with that comment, starting to look like same stuff next year, no matter what kind of wizard you bring in as OC. My big concern is Deacon is the go-to QB for 2024, yikes!

I believe the current scholarship count is at 84. So their hands are pretty much tied until they know who is staying and who is leaving.

I would think the staff would rather have the open scholly instead.. So for them to want him back with open arms when they are right up against it with the scholarship count that says know the Oline is still a problem. This guy has been pretty bad in big spots and man... It'd be nice to think we had an upgrade coming up behind him. But guess not... ugh

The fact that he’s a starter says more about the state of our OL than anything.

If NDJ is coming back it means we don’t have better options. I’m sure he’s a great kid but holy smokes he is in over his head.
100% agree with Fry on this. Of all the underperforming OLinemen at Iowa during the past couple years, DeJong is clearly at the top of the list...often does more damage than good. Sad, but true.

Last year they brought in Feth and Parker as O-Linemen from the transfer portal. Feth turned out to be a valuable pickup but Parker hardly played a down. This might be a case of taking a known commodity, shortcomings and all, over someone who may or may not pan out.

I believe the current scholarship count is at 84. So their hands are pretty much tied until they know who is staying and who is leaving.

85 now, with the addition of the scholarship punter from Australia.

Last year they brought in Feth and Parker as O-Linemen from the transfer portal. Feth turned out to be a valuable pickup but Parker hardly played a down. This might be a case of taking a known commodity, shortcomings and all, over someone who may or may not pan out.
Yeah, for whatever reason the OLinemen they've brought in have not made a significant impact. The year before this season it was a multi-year starter from Indiana, and he sniffed the field only because of injuries.

Yeah, for whatever reason the OLinemen they've brought in have not made a significant impact. The year before this season it was a multi-year starter from Indiana, and he sniffed the field only because of injuries.

Are you talking about Coy Cronk? He actually started the first 2 games in 2020, and then he missed the last 6 with injury. I think he is still bouncing around on NFL rosters/practice squads.

We have had pretty good success with D transfers (Heflin, ZVV, N. Jackson), but there has not really been a single offensive guy that has paid off big time, yet. All would have been that guy this year, and hopefully S. Anderson and K. Brown are those guys by the end of next year.

The OLine evaluation and recruiting 2020 and 21 were horrible. I think they over estimated their ability to develop these guys.

OK. Checked it out. Nick DeJong was 3rd team all Big Ten or if you prefer, honorable mention. So, you don’t want him to eat up a scholarship? Top 15 O line man in the conference and you want him to go away?
Thanks for the input, internet geniuses.

I thought the 6th year seniors using a covid year, didn't count towards scholarship limits. Or was that just a one-time 2021 thing?

OK. Checked it out. Nick DeJong was 3rd team all Big Ten or if you prefer, honorable mention. So, you don’t want him to eat up a scholarship? Top 15 O line man in the conference and you want him to go away?
LOL, don't trouble this Board with facts and information. What do people who are paid to cover football know compared to us arm chair experts with 75 inch screens and no shortage of opinions?

So you didn’t wince when Joe Klatt made the “Iowa is better when he is in the starting lineup” comment during the B1G title game? Nobody in this thread is an o-line expert, but we all have watched enough football to know my man has had some rough moments, including this season.

Given the poor o-line play across football in general…you won’t get any push back from me, if you have a plug and play, serviceable o-lineman and you want to run it back with him…I get it.

Latest posts