Nice Win on the Road

longtimer

Any win on the road is good. Virginia is not a great team as they lost a ton from last year but have a great coach. That guy knows how to teach defense

Iowa has the same problems as always have had under McCaffrey Don't play great defense and especially have problems with dribble penetration

One really impressive Stat for hawks is I think they only had 4 turnovers. That is impressive

Hawks will go as far as 3 pointers will take them

Any win on the road is good. Virginia is not a great team as they lost a ton from last year but have a great coach. That guy knows how to teach defense

Iowa has the same problems as always have had under McCaffrey Don't play great defense and especially have problems with dribble penetration

One really impressive Stat for hawks is I think they only had 4 turnovers. That is impressive

Only 4 turnovers on the road at Virginia is amazing. Iowa scored well above what UVA was giving up each game.

Iowa is capable of good D. I saw a lot of it tonight. A lot of guys stepped up and balled. Both sides. Even Sandfort had good D. Ya had to know they’d make a run, Iowa withstood it. I don’t know that we can count on that much contribution every night offensively, I thought Iowa played really good D

Was a great win to build off of. Definitely some teaching moments, including for Fran and his second half lineups. There was a few times I was screaming at the tv with the lineups he had in there.

Keegan needs to be more assertive but had a good game. I thought Perkins did great in the first half other than his offensive foul. Joe T had one of his best games in an Iowa jersey. Huge shot and put the ball in successful positions. Bohannon was huge. Rebraca other than missed free throws showed why he is here.

On Friday we will have to turn it up to 11 and get Purdue in foul trouble to stand a chance.

No it’s not. Just ask @Motigerhawk

Say what ya want about Virginia, but guarantee there will be plenty of good teams leaving that building with an L this season. Virginia found their identity in the 2nd half and shot out their ass from 3. Lots to be encouraged about, Hawks showed zero panic and just gutted out the W. Acted like a veteran team. This was a really nice win.

Not looking forward to Mackey Arena. That has been a house of horrors over the years. But lace em up lads and let's see how we stack up against the 2nd ranked team in the country. Pretty sure they will not back down, but may leave with lots of lumps.

Nice win but I think Virginia exposed what our biggest weakness will be and that’s our post play. I think Rebraca is going to get eaten up alive come Big Ten play. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we really miss Nunge. This team will go as far as Keegan can carry them.

I just enjoy that Fran always seems to have his teams ready to start the season. There's a trend that's happening here with Fran's Iowa teams. They come into seasons where nothing is expected of them and instead they are above average and position themselves pretty nicely early on. In 18 they beat Oregon and Uconn. In 19 they beat Texas Tech and should have beaten San Diego State. I would like to see a team that could be stronger the year goes and hopefully this is one that is capable of that. If there was another trend, I would say that the team has rarely been playing its best ball to end the season but that's the case for a lot of teams because that's the bulk of their harder opponents.

IMO, get to March, make sure you are giving yourself a chance to advance in the dance, all I ask. I think the advancing will come with regular trips.

Nice win but I think Virginia exposed what our biggest weakness will be and that’s our post play. I think Rebraca is going to get eaten up alive come Big Ten play. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we really miss Nunge. This team will go as far as Keegan can carry them.
Afraid so.. Rebracca isn't as big as I thought I guess. I guess I had 6'9 240ish in my head and he's barely the same size as the Murray bros it looks like. But he plays hard. I think the more time he gets the more impactfull he'll be. But they'll be a limit to it. Big Kofi and Lindell will eat us alive I'm afraid..

Afraid so.. Rebracca isn't as big as I thought I guess. I guess I had 6'9 240ish in my head and he's barely the same size as the Murray bros it looks like. But he plays hard. I think the more time he gets the more impactfull he'll be. But they'll be a limit to it. Big Kofi and Lindell will eat us alive I'm afraid..
I don't think Lindell will be as good this year as people thought he would be. He is only 6'7, just really physical for his size. I think the ability to put Keegan, Kris or Filip on his will slow him down. Now the bigs for Michigan, Illinois and Purdue will eat us alive.

I have never seen an Iowa player back a guy out on a block out for a rebound, NEVER! Virginia got a few too many offensive rebounds and putbacks in the 2nd half.

Virginia came out at half and I notice them blocking out much better so was apparent that Bennett was in their face at half-time about that.

Same issues with Iowa crops up again, the blocking out and closing out on 3 pt shooters. Man, if they could shore up those two areas of the game, McCaffery has enough offense to be good on that end.

I don't think Lindell will be as good this year as people thought he would be. He is only 6'7, just really physical for his size. I think the ability to put Keegan, Kris or Filip on his will slow him down. Now the bigs for Michigan, Illinois and Purdue will eat us alive.
Are there any other Big 10 teams with really good centers? Of course we play all 3 of those teams twice I think.

I have never seen an Iowa player back a guy out on a block out for a rebound, NEVER! Virginia got a few too many offensive rebounds and putbacks in the 2nd half.

Virginia came out at half and I notice them blocking out much better so was apparent that Bennett was in their face at half-time about that.

Same issues with Iowa crops up again, the blocking out and closing out on 3 pt shooters. Man, if they could shore up those two areas of the game, McCaffery has enough offense to be good on that end.
Thats why Kris has to play, we need his body and fouls inside.

I LOVED that Fran shortened the bench for this game. The two true centers are not ready for meaningful minutes in a real game. I rarely like Fran's rotations. I did this game.