Nice Job Fran and Co.

SirJamaLot

Welcome Pat to the Hawkeye Family, I am very excited for the future of Hawkeye Basketball, Fans that are complaining about this signing have a very short memory, if Fran can sign Woodbury it will be one of the best classes since George Raveling coached, Mr. Davis was a great coach but did not bring in great recruiting classes, Alford and Lick did not bring in great classes either.

Welcome Pat to the Hawkeye Family, I am very excited for the future of Hawkeye Basketball, Fans that are complaining about this signing have a very short memory, if Fran can sign Woodbury it will be one of the best classes since George Raveling coached, Mr. Davis was a great coach but did not bring in great recruiting classes, Alford and Lick did not bring in great classes either.

Even if he signs Woodbury it will not match Alford's second class. That class was Top 5 in the nation. This class with Woodbury will cap out around top 25. Now, that doesn't say they can't develop better than that class, which didn't see guys like Sonderleiter and Worley reach their supposed potential. But we don't know if these guys will develop either, so the only thing you can logically go on is ranking.

This kid had offers from St. Louis and Loyola... He can't be good. /sarcasm

FRAN DA MAN!!!! My excitement for hoops is the highest its been in years.

Even if he signs Woodbury it will not match Alford's second class. That class was Top 5 in the nation. This class with Woodbury will cap out around top 25. Now, that doesn't say they can't develop better than that class, which didn't see guys like Sonderleiter and Worley reach their supposed potential. But we don't know if these guys will develop either, so the only thing you can logically go on is ranking.

See, to me the one thing that 2000 class proves is that rankings are the last thing we should go on. Or did I miss the part where Reiner, Worley, Brody Boyd, Courtney Scott, and Ryan Hogan led the Hawkeyes to glory? Yes, Reggie Evans speaks for himself, and Luke Recker was good in the 40 games he played for Iowa. But that class as a whole isn't a benchmark for anything other than the flaws in some of these rankings systems. On a purely statistical basis, Melsahn and BC may very well outproduce Recker and Evans during their time as Hawkeyes, and none of the recruiting services gave a rip about them.

Rather than argue about stars, offer lists, etc., can we just all agree that the fact that Fran has three guys signed on August 17 is a huge step forward for this program? Is it too much to admit that Fran is showing the ability to recruit from several different regions of the country, and that he is getting players from strong high school programs and elite AAU teams? Safe to say that Fran hasn't let the Hubbard fiasco get in the way of his current recruiting? Refreshing to note that we aren't primarily signing in-state guys who were thinking about playing Division II ball? Too homerish to point out that all three signees held Iowa offers for a while before they committed and didn't appear to be fall-back guys for the coaches? Overly optimistic to note that all three of these guys have the type of size and athleticism for their positions that has been in terribly short supply around Carver for the last 5-6 years at least?

The on-court performance will play itself out as it always does. There will be surprises and disappointments. But if you can't see how this year's recruiting is light years ahead of previous years just in terms of process, you aren't looking hard enough.

I like the fact Fran is simply taking care of business. He knows what he wants to accomplish to turn this ship around and I have all the faith in the world he will get it done. I like how our roster is shaping up and it will only get better.

While Alford was able to bring in solid classes, none of those players really developed under that regime. In fact, I think Worley actually regressed (if that is even possible). Fran knows what he needs to get done and he knows the talent level it will take in the Big 10 to get it done. This was a nice addition ... It's putting the puzzle together ... and gradually adding the necessary pieces and Fran is doing just that ... Go Hawks!

Wow am I glad they decided to part ways with Lick. If they would have fired him after this last year (which I'm sure they would have as they would have been even worse than this years team was) we would have no shot with Gessel, probably no shot with Woodbury, and definitely wouldn't have White.

Fran is definitely a hard worker. And as I have said before, if he fails here, it certainly won't be from lack of effort, something that seemed to plague the previous head coach.

See, to me the one thing that 2000 class proves is that rankings are the last thing we should go on. Or did I miss the part where Reiner, Worley, Brody Boyd, Courtney Scott, and Ryan Hogan led the Hawkeyes to glory? Yes, Reggie Evans speaks for himself, and Luke Recker was good in the 40 games he played for Iowa. But that class as a whole isn't a benchmark for anything other than the flaws in some of these rankings systems. On a purely statistical basis, Melsahn and BC may very well outproduce Recker and Evans during their time as Hawkeyes, and none of the recruiting services gave a rip about them.

Rather than argue about stars, offer lists, etc., can we just all agree that the fact that Fran has three guys signed on August 17 is a huge step forward for this program? Is it too much to admit that Fran is showing the ability to recruit from several different regions of the country, and that he is getting players from strong high school programs and elite AAU teams? Safe to say that Fran hasn't let the Hubbard fiasco get in the way of his current recruiting? Refreshing to note that we aren't primarily signing in-state guys who were thinking about playing Division II ball? Too homerish to point out that all three signees held Iowa offers for a while before they committed and didn't appear to be fall-back guys for the coaches? Overly optimistic to note that all three of these guys have the type of size and athleticism for their positions that has been in terribly short supply around Carver for the last 5-6 years at least?

The on-court performance will play itself out as it always does. There will be surprises and disappointments. But if you can't see how this year's recruiting is light years ahead of previous years just in terms of process, you aren't looking hard enough.

Exactly!

Wow am I glad they decided to part ways with Lick. If they would have fired him after this last year (which I'm sure they would have as they would have been even worse than this years team was) we would have no shot with Gessel, probably no shot with Woodbury, and definitely wouldn't have White.

Fran is definitely a hard worker. And as I have said before, if he fails here, it certainly won't be from lack of effort, something that seemed to plague the previous head coach.

The thing that sticks out to me about recruiting is that it seems Fran is everywhere. We never heard of either Lick or Alford being at the AAU events like Fran. It is impressive that he has been at every game the All-Iowa Attack played all summer as he was recruiting Gesell and Woodbury. The kids notice things like that. That may benefit us in 2013 as well as most of the summer Peter Jok played on that team so he witnessed Fran's commitment and drive to land players he is after 1st hand.

Fran is doing a what he needs to do to turn this team around. Realistically, this is his first recruiting class. Yes, he brought kids in right after he got here. Yes, he had a class last year, but by the time he started recruiting, most of the big names had already pared their list down and Iowa wasn't on the list.

This is the first class that he and his staff have been able to get in and build a relationship with the kids. It's really showing that they (the staff) can get good players when given an opportunity.

I think the staff should pull all offers that are out there now with the exception of Woodbury and any 4 stars. Even with UNC offering, I think our chances of getting AW are pretty good. If he's smart, AW will know that he was UNC's 5th or 6th choice and he is Iowa's #1 and he will have the opportunity to rebuild the Iowa basketball legacy.

GO HAWKS!!!

Objectively, the talent in that 2nd SA group was pretty good.
Reiner- still playing in Europe
Sondy- still playing in Europe
Reggie- still playing in the NBA
Worley-still playing in Asia
Recker- cup of coffee in the NBA and played in Europe
Did they underproduce at Iowa ,due to injuries,coaching and mishaps? Yea.
But they did have talent.

I am excited about Fran's recruiting prowess to this point. Obviously,closing the deal on the highest ranked recruit in the state, Woodbury,is a critical determinant in assessing the class overall. Adding another top player or two,would be icing on this cake. Keep it going,Fran!!

Every year in the NCAA tourney there is a small school with a player who everyone wonders why the big boys missed out on him. BYU had a guy like that and so did VCU and so did Butler for example. Well Ingram could very well be one of "those" players.

In today's internet world everybody can follow recruiting much closer, but I wouldn't put a ton of stock in the 3-4 star system, ask most college coaches and there is very little differences between 88-92 point players. Iowa football has made a living with under the radar recruiting; Sanders, Gallery, Angerer, Stanzi, ect. If Fran thinks Ingram can play then I trust him, This site has way too many computer experts who think they are the next Van Coleman, sorry to burst their bubble but there is no exact science to recruiting and Iowa has a long ways to go to catch up with Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina, so far Fran has the Hawkeyes improving!

No doubt he's pounding the pavement recruiting these kids which can never be overestimated, but another major reason they're interested is he is promoting a brand of basketball that kids want to play.

Every year in the NCAA tourney there is a small school with a player who everyone wonders why the big boys missed out on him. BYU had a guy like that and so did VCU and so did Butler for example. Well Ingram could very well be one of "those" players.

Obviously, it would be amazing if things worked out like this for Ingram. But even if he ends up being a bench player his whole career, I think everyone is missing the key story here: it's August, and we've already locked up 3 guys. That puts us way ahead of last year's pace, when we signed Oglesby in September, White in October, Olaseni in April, and Hubbard in May (I think?). One of the points CAARHawk has made repeatedly that I happen to agree with is that Fran can't consistently be trying to fill his classes in March, April, and May. That's how you get into situations where you have to take a risk-- we've seen those late signings pay off with BC and backfire with Hubbard, but obviously teams are going to be better off filling their rosters in the fall.

Think about where we were one month ago-- no Hubbard, and only 1 of 6 scholarships filled for this year's class. We desperately need something to happen in terms of recruiting or we ran the risk of carrying another 2-3 open scholarships into next year. Instead of panicking, Fran used the opening to offer Ingram, who signed one month to the day after he offered. In other words, Hubbard created an extra opening, Fran used it to offer a guy he'd been watching but didn't yet have room for, and he got him. That's a great corollary to the next-man-in mentality of Kirk Ferentz, and it's also encouraging that a player defection didn't result in offering a scholarship to a walk-on, as some on this board were advocating.

Ingram was never meant to be the centerpiece of this class, and programs like Iowa aren't going to bring in 6 four-stars in one year. It's still only August and most of this story is yet to be written.

Excellent insightful posts here by all. Good work, Olive.....Good to see people giving Fran the credit he is due. There hasn't been this much excitement for a long time for Iowa basketball fans. Last year was a pleasant surprise, this year could be much better. Against all odds, Fran is getting it done.

i still don't expect much of this year's team, but am excited at the future of Iowa b-ball. first time i can say that in a long time.

I like the fact Fran is simply taking care of business. He knows what he wants to accomplish to turn this ship around and I have all the faith in the world he will get it done. I like how our roster is shaping up and it will only get better.

While Alford was able to bring in solid classes, none of those players really developed under that regime. In fact, I think Worley actually regressed (if that is even possible). Fran knows what he needs to get done and he knows the talent level it will take in the Big 10 to get it done. This was a nice addition ... It's putting the puzzle together ... and gradually adding the necessary pieces and Fran is doing just that ... Go Hawks!

+1

So could every other player in basketball... Good point!

Good lord people, I guess count me as the one person who would rather have a top 5 class than a non ranked class. I don't really understand why this constantly comes up but the teams with a lot of stars are the good teams. I also realize that Hayward can slip through the cracks. However, the odds are ridiculously low.

Yes, I understand that Iowa is down and can't compete for these players but that is not the point of this post.