NFL Playoffs - Wild Card Weekend

Sorry, have to disagree. Unless you have a "Beyond Thunderdome" or Gozer from Ghostbusters fetish...

zp1k397yner11.jpg

2019-SMCD-Best-120-1024x682.jpg

Yeah that is sort of scary even beyond it is ok for people to wear their hair however they want to.

Also, after the coin toss, the metrics gave KC a 92% likelihood of winning the game.

I agree that Buffalo lost the game more than KC winning it. My argument has always been against this system. Trying to prove who has the best overall team would have each teams offense and defense on the field.

Are you saying the metrics said overall KC had a 92% likelyhood of winning in OT or a 92% chance of scoring a TD on the first drive of OT? Those are 2 different metrics.

And I agree with you, the NFL would be stupid to adopt the college OT rules. This having to go for 2 pt conversions after a couple possessions is stupid.

I think a better college rule is after each team gets two possessions and it is still tied, then start the remaining possessions with first and goal from the 10 yard line which quickens the clock time and also make them go for 2 pt conversions and maybe move that try to the 5 yard line.

Are you saying the metrics said overall KC had a 92% likelyhood of winning in OT or a 92% chance of scoring a TD on the first drive of OT? Those are 2 different metrics.

And I agree with you, the NFL would be stupid to adopt the college OT rules. This having to go for 2 pt conversions after a couple possessions is stupid.

I think a better college rule is after each team gets two possessions and it is still tied, then start the remaining possessions with first and goal from the 10 yard line which quickens the clock time and also make them go for 2 pt conversions and maybe move that try to the 5 yard line.
It means winning. I found that interesting number because Buffalo has the first chance to win it in overtime with a FG. I have no idea how it's figured and I think it's it's BS, but the advantageous number came from somewhere.

I like your idea for the college adaptation. It (and the NFL) openly admit it is trying to end the game sooner because for the health of the players.

Here's what I think they should do...

Regular season they should ply a 10:00 OT period, each team gets one timeout, and if there's no score at the end it's a tie.

Post season, play an initial 10:00 OT like above, if still tied at the end keep tacking on 5:00 periods until there's a winner, no add'l timeouts.
I like this idea. Just play. If 60 minutes isn't enough, here's and extra 10. If you can't decide it in that amount of time, then you deserve a tie. Postseason needs to be different, obviously, to get a winner.

For the OT rule arguers, since the rule was changed...

Teams that won the coin toss won 52%, lost 42%, and tied 6%

Teams that lost the coin toss won 42%, lost 52%, and tied 6%

52% vs 42% to me is statistically significant enough to say there's a big advantage to the winner of the coin toss.

Here's what I think they should do...

Regular season they should ply a 10:00 OT period, each team gets one timeout, and if there's no score at the end it's a tie.

Post season, play an initial 10:00 OT like above, if still tied at the end keep tacking on 5:00 periods until there's a winner, no add'l timeouts.
I'm fine with the current OT system for the regular season, having football players continuing to play can create all sorts of injury risks. But the playoffs are different, let each team have the ball from the 50 until the tie gets broken.

BTW, since the OT rule was changed in 2010 the team that wins the coin toss in the playoffs is 10-1.

NFL overtime rules need to change. One lawyer got to present their case and the other wasn’t allowed to even talk to the judge. That‘s what it feels like.

Too much power in the coin flip. One offense got shorted.

I'm fine with the current OT system for the regular season, having football players continuing to play can create all sorts of injury risks. But the playoffs are different, let each team have the ball from the 50 until the tie gets broken.

BTW, since the OT rule was changed in 2010 the team that wins the coin toss in the playoffs is 10-1.

Isn't the only loss the one where the guy was talking shit after they won the toss and then he threw a pick six on the first play of OT? Was that in the playoffs? That was fucking hilarious.

How about we go with the penalty shot kind of like the XFL? Below is pretty close but not exactly the same as XFL's rule

No coin flip.

Visitor picks the endzone they want to defend.

Home D/Away O on one end and they stay there, Away D/Home O on the other end. No need to move personnel around.

Ball at the 5, each team gets 4 sets of 4 downs to convert, no FGs allowed, each team alternating. Basically 4 two-point conversions each. Team with the most at the end wins. 30 seconds allowed between plays, and 40 seconds between changeovers once the refs get in place (going from offense to defense and vice versa).

Defense cannot score, turnovers kill the play immediately, and a defensive penalty puts the ball on the 1 yd line. Offensive penalties are moved back accordingly.

If it's still tied after 4 rounds, teams go until the tie is broken.

Isn't the only loss the one where the guy was talking shit after they won the toss and then he threw a pick six on the first play of OT? Was that in the playoffs? That was fucking hilarious.

If there is only the one loss then yes I think you are correct and iirc it was Hasselbeck of the Seahawks and Holmgren was back in Lambeau.

I guess as a Chiefs fan I don't see an issue with NFL OT. I didn't when Brady was the beneficiary of winning the toss and I Don't see one after the other night. My issue is why do we have to give both teams a chance? Both teams had 60 minutes to get the job done in regulation, whether it be offensively or defensively.

Whether it's modern day rules, or the old rules where a TD or FG won it, I don't see why it matters. The fact is 60 minutes is a lot of football...to say it needs to be revamped again because Josh Allen didn't get the ball, is ridiculous are we forgetting regulation when he had equal opportunities? You want Josh Allen to have one more chance with the ball for the win? here's an idea go for the 2 pt. conversion at the end of the game to put your team up by 4.

I don't like the way OT is, but IMO it is what it is. I think it's a better format then soccer uses going to penalty kicks after additional time. I'd love to hear people bitch if games were decided by a best of 5 field goal contest.

No the only loss is the Saints/Rams game a few years ago where the Rams guy ran over the Saints WR and no PI was called. The Rams went on to the super bowl that year.

If there is only the one loss then yes I think you are correct and iirc it was Hasselbeck of the Seahawks and Holmgren was back in Lambeau.
Hasselbeck, a former Packer, didn't realize the referee's mic was being pumped over the stadium public address.

Oops!

Gary Dolphin and Thom Brennaman know exactly how he felt.

It certainly isn't perfect, but still much better than when a FG would win it, even the team winning the coin toss scored. At least with the OT rules as they are now, the defense has a good chance of stopping the opponent. Or not, as evidenced by the Bills.