NFL Playoffs - Wild Card Weekend

Micah Hyde with a terrific pick against New England and later had a big punt return in Buffalo's blowout win over the Patriots.

Belichick should’ve retired when Brady left. I know he wanted to prove that he could do it without Brady, but he’s proving the opposite now. Still the greatest NFL coach in history, IMO, but Michael Jordan syndrome is taking some of the shine off his legacy.

Stating the obvious...you need a quarterback and a very good one. With the exception of 49ers/Cowboys you could literally pick these games by who has the better QB.

Belichick should’ve retired when Brady left. I know he wanted to prove that he could do it without Brady, but he’s proving the opposite now. Still the greatest NFL coach in history, IMO, but Michael Jordan syndrome is taking some of the shine off his legacy.
I’d have to disagree. On the surface it might look that way, but in a full rebuild, to bottom out at 7 wins and make it to the playoffs year two with a rookie qb and a defense that is utter garbage is actually rather impressive. I’m holding out to see what he puts together over the next couple years. Obviously if they flounder about in the 9-10 win range the next three or four years and Bill retires without another super bowl or at least AFC Championship appearance I’d agree with you, but I’m looking forward to seeing how they do.

Also Belichick was very instrumental in Bill Parcells' two super bowl wins. He convinced Bill to switch to the 3-4 defense (Having Lawrence Taylor didn't hurt) and both coaches have used that defense for most of their careers ever since.

Could that have cost Mike McCarthy his job?
Jerry Jones is the Cowboys' main problem. Always will be until he croaks, and that's assuming his kid is smart enough to hire a GM who knows football.

Jimmy Johnson came in there in '89 and got the right staff, players, and system to make 3 super bowls happen (Switzer rode off of Johnson's coat tails), and Jerry Jones' ego was so huge that he refused to believe anything other than he himself made it happen. Granted, Jones was the one who hired Johnson, but he definitely wasn't the one with the smarts who turned the team around.

Fast forward to now, and that fossil Jones still thinks he's the smartest guy in the league and knows how to build a dynasty, even though he hasn't been a part of anything successful since Bill Clinton was stickin' cigars where the sun don't shine.

Jerry Jones could have a trillion dollars and he still wouldn't win playoff games as long as he's still calling the day-to-day shots and deciding who to hire and draft.

My father-in-law lives in Dallas, is a season ticket holder, and follows the team pretty closely. He said before and after the game that he doesn't see Jerry Jones firing McCarthy with this loss. But apparently Jerry isn't too happy to have lost in the first round with what he sees as all that talent. The bad thing for McCarthy is how undisciplined they played and how unprepared they looked out of the gate.

My father-in-law lives in Dallas, is a season ticket holder, and follows the team pretty closely. He said before and after the game that he doesn't see Jerry Jones firing McCarthy with this loss. But apparently Jerry isn't too happy to have lost in the first round with what he sees as all that talent. The bad thing for McCarthy is how undisciplined they played and how unprepared they looked out of the gate.
The Cowoys are the antithesis of IA football. They usually are loaded with undisciplined but extremely talented players and coaches. It's led to 25+ years of mediocrity.

JJ is loyal to coaches he normally doesn't make knee jerk firings. He kept Garrett around way too long. But they had history. Wouldn't surprise me if he would consider it but who's he going to get instead?

That was a pretty bad performance between clock management, execution, and last but most important penalties.... If JJ wakes up to all the headlines and doesn't like it he just might..

I’d have to disagree. On the surface it might look that way, but in a full rebuild, to bottom out at 7 wins and make it to the playoffs year two with a rookie qb and a defense that is utter garbage is actually rather impressive. I’m holding out to see what he puts together over the next couple years. Obviously if they flounder about in the 9-10 win range the next three or four years and Bill retires without another super bowl or at least AFC Championship appearance I’d agree with you, but I’m looking forward to seeing how they do.
There defense was ranked 5th in the league there defense is actually damn good just didnt show up against Buffalo when it mattered.

There defense was ranked 5th in the league there defense is actually damn good just didnt show up against Buffalo when it mattered.
It was great in the middle of the season against trash teams, just like in 2019. The only team with a pulse the defense performed well against was the Titans and they (the Titans) were as banged up in that game as they were at any point in the season. The first Bills game without that wind the Bills win by 30 as well. Multiple (read, at least three) blown coverages would’ve gone for touchdowns if the ball wasn’t blown ten yards off course. I guess you could say they played well against the Bucs but that was also a case of Brady being an absolute head case. He wasn’t the better quarterback on the field that day, and the other was a rookie. Their linebackers are old, slow, and banged up, and their two decent pass rushers are (were) playing with undisclosed injuries.

If they can grab a true #1 at receiver, another legitimate pass rusher, completely revamp their LBs, and maybe grab some depth at CB or OL all in this upcoming draft/FA, they could very well be a top five team in the league, but that’s a lot to ask in one FA with 20-25 million in cap space. Some guys are going to have to get restructured or cut.

Last edited:

Belichick put together some great defenses on his Pats teams. Brady and the big offense came a little later. Hell his first super bowl win they held the high scoring Rams way down to secure the last second drive and win. And he is one of the masters at finding unknown talent and rejected players and getting a ton out them. And then also he would release/trade All Pros who were half way through their last contract year and get the better of the deal.

Latest posts